Dave - new Biggar owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Dave - new Biggar owner

Hi, I'm Dave; a new member with a new (to us) 19 foot 1978 Biggar.

Many years ago, with absolutely zero auto mechanic skills, I dove in and bought an air-cooled VW Westfalia. Thanks to some wonderful communities, the journey of VW maintenance and repair wasn't so daunting. I learned how to work on cars, and many years of happy camping ensued. The air-cooled was eventually replaced with a more modern water-cooled van, quite possibly the best camper ever created in one neat and tidy package.

Then something happened that wreaked havoc on our camping experience: kids. Unless the weather is perfect, the Westy is just too confining for a family of four.

We decided to go the route of the trailer. We wanted to keep things reasonably small and light, but didn't love the idea of a tent trailer (we camp in bear country, and it can also get cold in the mountains). We settled on a fiberglass unit of some sort. Friends of ours have a Boler, but they only have one little guy, and it works for them. We started searching for a 17' Bigfoot, but ended up finding a 19' Biggar.

I was initially intimidated by the 'uniqueness' of the Biggar (ie. lack of parts). I also have absolutely no experience with trailers; maintaining, towing, winterizing, whatever.

After finding this community and it's resources, things once again don't seem as daunting. I get the impression that most of our eggs (round or square) are built very similarly, and there are solutions to most of the issues that could arise.

So we embrace the Biggar's uniqueness, and we'll make it our own.

Now to start looking for a tow vehicle.

/Dave
Calgary Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Dave, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I think Biggar's are neato! I'm sure it will serve your family well and you'll make tons of memories along the way.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, welcome, welcome, Dave! We will be looking forward to photos of your lovely Biggar (because we love photos!).
You are correct that there is a huge wealth of information on this forum. If the part is not available, you can bet that someone in this group has figured out how to make something else work instead.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
We're happy that you found a Biggar. As you modify it and make it your own, remember to post pictures.

Soon your trailer will be Biggar and better.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Welcome Dave!!! Another Biggar owner here is great. Now there will be 3 of us. :-) if you need manuals, just go to the document center. Looking forward to your before and after pictures, so don't forget to post them.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Wonder if it is my old trailer ?
John J. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: Terry
Trailer: Biggar
Saskatchewan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Hi, I'm Dave; a new member with a new (to us) 19 foot 1978 Biggar.

Many years ago, with absolutely zero auto mechanic skills, I dove in and bought an air-cooled VW Westfalia. Thanks to some wonderful communities, the journey of VW maintenance and repair wasn't so daunting. I learned how to work on cars, and many years of happy camping ensued. The air-cooled was eventually replaced with a more modern water-cooled van, quite possibly the best camper ever created in one neat and tidy package.

Then something happened that wreaked havoc on our camping experience: kids. Unless the weather is perfect, the Westy is just too confining for a family of four.

We decided to go the route of the trailer. We wanted to keep things reasonably small and light, but didn't love the idea of a tent trailer (we camp in bear country, and it can also get cold in the mountains). We settled on a fiberglass unit of some sort. Friends of ours have a Boler, but they only have one little guy, and it works for them. We started searching for a 17' Bigfoot, but ended up finding a 19' Biggar.

I was initially intimidated by the 'uniqueness' of the Biggar (ie. lack of parts). I also have absolutely no experience with trailers; maintaining, towing, winterizing, whatever.

After finding this community and it's resources, things once again don't seem as daunting. I get the impression that most of our eggs (round or square) are built very similarly, and there are solutions to most of the issues that could arise.

So we embrace the Biggar's uniqueness, and we'll make it our own.

Now to start looking for a tow vehicle.

/Dave
I totally rebuilt my 1976 Biggar inside and out, keep in mind when getting a tow vehicle that the Biggar weighs in at 3900 lbs. I still have the water h
eater furnace issue to deal with.
Big_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Dave, could you post some pictures please? I would love to see what you have done to the inside.
Also could you take a picture of your information sheet for me? I'm comparing them to see if we can tell what number our units might be. Thanks, Marina
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Hey all. We're starting to come out of hibernation and fix up a few things.

Any idea how the Tedco fridge is mounted? I can't see any screws, but it won't budge. It feels like it's glued in. I'm trying to rip it out to install a working Dometic.

Oh. Here's a few pix from last fall.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398390800.309396.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	70237

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398390873.473353.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	70238

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398390921.488587.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	70239

Dave
Calgary Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That is one nice unit! Most modern interior I have seen.

While I am kinda a Trillium guy, Biggars are very interesting to me, but I have never been in one. Since we are both in Calgary, I am sure we will run into each other. Want a group 24 gel cell battery, or two, for free? PM me.

Not sure of Tedco fridges, but on my Dometic RM36E, there are screws that are in the frame around the door, but covered by plastic snap in covers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggar