Scamp 16' Layout 7 Options / Extra Storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
Scamp 16' Layout 7 Options / Extra Storage

We are order a Layout 7 next week and had a few questions about options.

1. Where did people put extra lights and outlets? Can they do reading light by each bed (front, side and each bunk) or should I do tap lights there? Where are the best places for extra outlets? Could I have them put a 12v in an upper cabinet to serve as a tech charging area?

2. What do people think about the fridge situation? We will have 2 adults and 3 kids and probably camp mostly at sites with power, but will be doing some more rustic camping as the kids get older. What fridge did everyone pick and why? I was wondering if the bigger fridge is worth losing storage space. I was thinking we would be placing like meat and food items in the fridge when we got to camp and have a cooler for drinks and such.

3. Has anyone done any under Scamp storage? I was thinking maybe some PVC pipes for rug, fishing poles etc, but was wondering if people have done any slide out bins or similar for tools or little supplies.

Thanks
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I think Scamp can put in reading lights for you. Depends on how far along the build is. Best to do all the wiring before the wall fabric is put in.
And, they may have come around to adding a cargo door for the space under the left rear bench/bed. I put one in our 2000 16 ft, and had to relocate the side marker lamp, and change the shore power cord from a pull out to a bulkhead connector.
It is where we carried cords, hoses, blocks, tools, etc. Bigger stuff had to go in the SUV.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
We have a layout 4 with the small 1.9 cubic foot fridge. Works for the two of us but might be too small for you. I installed a 5x5 inch plastic fence post under the rear to hold the sewer hose. There is room for two of these, maybe three if you don't have the receiver installed under the bumper.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Added Items

(1) Added 110v outlets. Yes, add them now. We originally had an extra under the rear table/bed area. The factory reminded me that if we mostly keep the bed setup that outlet would be difficult to get at. We moved ours out into the walkway in the front closet by the entry door. (We have the front bath in our 16 Deluxe 'B')

(2) Our 12v outlet went under the side dinette seating in the bench seat. If you think the upper cabinet is better I would ask.

(3) Larger 110v/LP frig. Yes it's a great idea. We love ours and we use if for only two adults. You will find the extra space very helpful.

ps. If you have never had an RV frig before locate the other posts that explain their operation and how best to utilize them. They can take 4-5 hours to get cold enough to safely store food once you arrive at the RV park.

(4) The LED reading lights supplied by Scamp are really bright. Ours went under the rear cabinets, one in each rear corner. If I had thought it out better we would have put them both on the same side. Ours has the big bed and each of us could have had a reading light. The one at our feet is never turned on or useful.

BTW, forget the burner top cover as we leave it at home and never use it. The front sewer hose holder is a waste of time.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Big frig for sure. We use our reading lights every night. I put them in, wish I had ordered them. Like your idea about using PVC pipe for fishing rods under the trailer.
Enjoy your camper!
John
Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Name: Sandy
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16'
Minnesota
How do you fit the hose into the 5"x5" post cover? The connecters on the end of my hose seem to be connected permanently and make it impossible to fit into the container.
Sandy Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We ordered this same layout in July as well. We added lights for both bunks, plus one just on the inside of the door, so a person could reach in and turn on a light before going inside. We also added two extra outlets and another 12v charging port. It seemed like you could add them anywhere. And until your Scamp goes into production, you can change things as you need to. We also debated getting the smaller fridge, but in the end decided we'd rather have the larger one and added additional storage in the form of the front cabinet over the bunk. Best of luck to you and your new egg! It's very exciting!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp