Eggcamper owners - a few questions for you!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #21

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Not sure if I should be posting my experiences like this?? I had strike 3 on eggcampers yesterday/today......lol....uuggg.

I drove up to Alpena Michigan yesterday to look at one refered to my. I talked to owner first about condition/price. I had agreed price $ in hand (8 hours 1 way). Really nice owner! Original owner. The egg had some disappointments, and I took a deep swallow and decided to take it anyway. As he was filling out the title, he accidentally put his name where my name should have gone. Void title now.

I decided to drive home w/o egg instead of taking egg and a promise of title in the mail. Although after meeting him, I fully believe the title would have showed up no worries. I just couldn't walk away paying all that $ w/o a title. We decided to meet 1/2 way after he gets new title. He offered w/o me asking to take an additional $500 off for my troubles - that was very nice of him!

The owner said he does not do forums so I guess its ok to list the good and disappointments I saw but did not know before I drove up.

Beautiful interior! Nice upgraded cushions, fabric, curtains etc. All professionally done! Over all very nice interior condition!!!

Very dirty outside - although I looked past this - is was bad - black streaks etc from sitting for 2 years under trees. Emergency window came open during travel, so lots of extra mismatched / misplaced screws on the hinge to fix. Awning in very bad shape - takes 2-3 people to hold everything to get it back in - like herding cats. I think its been forced in too many times and now its bulging at the seams. And lastly, it was backed into by car hitch resulting in a quarter size hole thru outer shell. Was fixed with bondo and spray paint. Very much visible. Not structural - but still.....

So on the 8 hour drive back (from 9pm to 5am - straight back to work....uuggg), I pondered all this. Even with the issues - his final price is fair, and MUCH lower than asking price. But I decided to pass on it. I dont want the expense of fixing the patch, removing awning (more holes to patch). And lastly - I wasnt too fond of the carpet on the roof. Cemented my decision for 2010 or newer no carpet interior, and now on my list - NO awning!

I'll keep looking!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #22

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Joe, We have a Canopy (not Awning), and it is great! Keep in mind those are two different things....you may indeed want a Canopy 😉
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #23

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Joe, We have a Canopy (not Awning), and it is great! Keep in mind those are two different things....you may indeed want a Canopy 😉
That canopy looks nice!! Your right - that would be nice!! And trouble free!!

I feel bad for the guy I just got back from yesterday who error-ed his title (which gave me time to ponder), but on the other hand there was a LOT of things not told to me before I made the 16 hour trek. I still feel bad tho.

Thinking about it, I see your egg is a 2011. I think maybe you should sell it to me......ha!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 06-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #24

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wow Joe, you are having a lot of excitement looking for the 'perfect' eggcamper for you.
The right one will come along and meanwhile you are keeping us on the edge of our seats with anticipation.
Keep the updates coming
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 AM   #25

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Wow Joe, you are having a lot of excitement looking for the 'perfect' eggcamper for you.
The right one will come along and meanwhile you are keeping us on the edge of our seats with anticipation.
Keep the updates coming
Thanks kootenai ! I will! I am enjoying the search. I guess I am looking for the "perfect" one - which in reality may be a really stupid thing - may drive myself nuts! I'm kinda stuck on wanting carper free for some reason!

Deep down inside I'm hoping the lady who had the first one I wanted comes back from vacation and calls me. I kinda doubt it tho. Im thinking that one has been sold and she doesnt want to tell me. It was a carpet free no awning one too....uuuggggg!! I'll keep you updated!

I see you have a 2005 Casita 17SD, same as ours! You cant ask for a better camper as far as amenities!! We camped for 3 nights in a field once with no hookups and had hot showers every morning!! I love that thing! Just doesn't fit the 6'6" people....
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 06-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #26

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, you are in a good position because you already have an excellent trailer LOL so you can afford the time to be picky.
Fingers crossed the lady with the first one calls.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #27

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Joe,
Curious how your search is going
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #28

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
Joe,
Curious how your search is going
Hi 4x4Lady! No luck so far. There is a 2006 in Michigan that has been for sale for quite some time! But it has gas/carpet. I think it may have sold yesterday or today. The 2009 (carpet) in London Canada sold for $9800. I'm not sure if the one in Alpena sold or not (carpet roof). There is a 2006 (carpet) in Cali for $11500 make offer - been for sale for several weeks. And the 2010 I was hoping for - I left a message to the gal asking politely if she made up her mind on selling or not, and if she could let me know either way so I could look elsewhere if they decided to keep it. But she did not return my call from 4 days ago.

So I'm still looking - every day!! I see you are looking for one too!! I hope you find one soon!! I think more will come out of the wood work this fall......maybe.....ha!

I think now that I decided I definitely want one (my wife could care less if we go eggcamper or keep the Casita because she is 5'1") - maybe I need to not be so picky and get any one. I guess I still have my hopes up on stumbling across a 2010+ !!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #29

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
My wife and are into our 2nd season in our Casita 17SD. We love it!! We do not regret buying it at all!

But - while I am 6'6" tall, we do find the bed "ok". My wife is 5'1" so I steal a little of her foot room, and we sleep well. We have also got accustomed to the large fridge, and gas water heater for boondocking.

I initially wanted an EggCamper for headroom / bed length - and still long for one. Now that I understand fgrv's better - I'm up for modifications! I want to look for a used eggcamper - if and only if I can make these mods.

So EggCamper owners - I have questions!!

1) Can I fit a larger gas/elec fridge in the EggCamper? I want one the size of my Casita fridge which I believe is 4.0 sq ft!

2) Can I swap out the water heater for a gas/electric water heater easy enough?

3) Can I install a larger a/c in the orig location?

Thank you!!
Hmm, you think like me. I want a bigger fridge, gas water heater, and furnace also.

When we bought ours Jim was not doing any gas models. At the time he said there was quality issues with suppliers that led to repeat repairs and such.

Any way the 12V (not 3-way) sits on top of the plumbing into the waste water tank (grey?), so there are limits on how tall of a fridge that can be installed. Now I think you can get a decent sized fridge in there, but maybe not 4.0CF? I suppose you could flip flop the layout - move the fridge to the rear and sink to front, so long as the wheel well clears the back of the fridge. I would stay 12V because it will run several days off a single large deep cycle. Add a simple solar panel and you could run indefinitely.

The water heater is just a miniature version of the one in your house. Basically there is plenty of room there and blank slate to start with. Should be plenty of room for which ever water heater you choose (disclaimer - I have only seen RV heaters in passing but there is TON of room in there).

Several people have installed larger AC units. Bigger issue IMHO is sealing the air gaps. You can see day light around the bezel of the AC unit (inside). I'm currently working an idea to run a remote and have ducting to the AC unit so it can be better sealed to the outside.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #30

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
I saw the one that was older in MI with carpet and propane. I'm like you, I'd rather not have the carpet but I do want all electric which is why the newer ones appeal to me. I think for me the biggest issue is selling my sticky. I have had it for sale a good couple months, but nothing other than a neighbor but not enough ground clearance for them. At least when you find one, you know you can sell your current pretty fast w/o a huge loss

I know I have followed most egg camper posts, if you search by posts I have commented on you will probably find the thread with the fridge mods. Someone took pictures of the underneath of the fridge from the side cabinet showing the pipes and the wheel well. For me it's about adding one extra sleeping area which might be a cot in the isle.

I was telling another member that I wish I would have waiting just 6 months before buying my trailer to get the egg....I wanted all electric and my friends pretty much told me to give up on that thought since they don't make them and I listened. Then that fall I found one on a google search and just wanted to cry. It was then that I made up my mind and have been searching and trying to sell ever since. I just have a hard time with the new price.....if only money grew on trees I'd get an Ollie, but they don't even make them all electric, I asked...Escapes, Scamps Snoozy's and Eggs are the only ones I can get all electric, but I can't get past the rat fur so my options are the 2, then it came down to toilet.....Eggcamper won (or at least still #1 choice)

Now I am excited cuz in Sept my hubby agreed to go camping with the other baseball coaches and their families with me and the kids. This will be the first camp trip he will have done with us. I so wish I had the egg for this trip since he is taller than myself, but such is life.....if only it all fell into place I'd be so excited to make that our first camp out all together
Old 07-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #31

Name: Tracy
Trailer: 2006 Egg Camper
Michigan
Registry
I own a 2007 Egg. I have ripped up the carpet and I want to warn you its glued down like nothing you have ever dealt with before! I did finally get it all up after 4 days of pulling on it and with my husbands help.

You can take a look at on Instagram under 1beadbug or just put in #eggcamper.

We wish our camper didn't have the gas stove or water heater but then I don't boon dock I'm a glamper and we prefer to do all our cooking outside. I don't want to smell what we had for dinner for days. I have taken the tanks totally off my camper and put on a front tool box in its place for some outside storage. I just can't imagine pumping gas into a structure that is sealed so well. When we sell it someone will have some very nice storage or the tanks can sit inside the box nicely.
Beadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #32

Michigan
Registry
Maybe this photo will post.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg   image.jpg  

Old 07-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #33

Ohio
Thanks for the tips Jason. I cant wait to fjnd one and start working on it. I like the sink fridge swap idea. Interesting.

Chrystal, the more i think about gas, i may just stay all electric. The 06 im Michigan just sold. Ours will come someday. Only one left i know of is the 06 in cali.

Tracy, I love the floors! I was affraid the 06 07 models were glued. At least you proved its doable. Those look sweet. Your cushoins cover a lot of the back wall carpet too. It looks nice!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #34

Michigan
Registry
That extra cushion in the back comes forward and makes the double bed into an almost King. We sleep with our heads to the front of the camper and feet to the bath. I made a pull out that fils the space in front of the sink so when it's pulled out it comes to the front edge of that first side seat. I will try to get a photo of it this week.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #35

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post
That extra cushion in the back comes forward and makes the double bed into an almost King. We sleep with our heads to the front of the camper and feet to the bath. I made a pull out that fils the space in front of the sink so when it's pulled out it comes to the front edge of that first side seat. I will try to get a photo of it this week.
Would love to see a pic sometime! No rush tho. Just when you get a chance.

Thanks Joe
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-12-2016, 07:23 AM   #36

Tennessee
We pulled up the carpet in out 2011 and it was not glued down. In fact I think it was basically just cut to shape and sitting there. We replaced it with solid bamboo planks we had bought years before and never used.

We figured out that a queen mattress will fit - just a little snug against the counter by the sink. The full we have is loose fit and probably 6 inches extra each end(to the windows).

Biggest improvement may be the kick out rod for the shower. Its in the curve at the front so either you lean over or against the curtain. BTW - the kick out rod from Camping World is a little to big and needed some trimming so that it would fold back into the shower when not in use. I don't know if they make a shorter one but it wasn't too hard to modify.

If you get AC in your Egg, SEAL UP THE CRACKS! Also some caps for the vents under the camper would be a good idea. I was doing some cleaning and ran our AC - there was hot air blowing in the gaps! The fit and trim are pretty abysmal.

Jason
Old 07-12-2016, 07:25 AM   #37

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post
I own a 2007 Egg. I have ripped up the carpet and I want to warn you its glued down like nothing you have ever dealt with before! I did finally get it all up after 4 days of pulling on it and with my husbands help.

You can take a look at on Instagram under 1beadbug or just put in #eggcamper.

We wish our camper didn't have the gas stove or water heater but then I don't boon dock I'm a glamper and we prefer to do all our cooking outside. I don't want to smell what we had for dinner for days. I have taken the tanks totally off my camper and put on a front tool box in its place for some outside storage. I just can't imagine pumping gas into a structure that is sealed so well. When we sell it someone will have some very nice storage or the tanks can sit inside the box nicely.
Where is your furnace, if you don't mind me asking? We have the later electric model and I see no electric heater or outlet next to your fridge like ours.

Jason
Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #38

Ohio
Well it looks like our search may be over!!!! I got a call from a nice couple from Michigan who saw my wanted ad! They have a 2013, no carpet, no awning (it has the canopy option) and they are the original owners. Deposit sent, and my wife and I are making another road trip to Michigan! Very excited!! I'll post pics once we get the new egg picked up!

Some good friends of ours are going to ponder buying our Casita. He said he would let us know this week. If they don't buy it, I'll get some pics of it and get it posted soon.

Did I mention I was super excited......ha! My wife is actually excited too. She fits just fine in the Casita at 5'1" but she like the idea of the open space.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Joe! So glad you were finally able to get exactly what you were looking for. Best wishes for many adventures in your new EggCamper!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #40

Michigan
Registry
@silver ghost. Our camper didn't have a heater in it, we just use a little electric one but we don't camp off grid so that works well for us.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
eggcamper