Parkliner Awning-on a lighter note - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
mine is on the way also...
we will have to watch it closely as our favorite areas are at river's edge in narrow mountain cuts...quite windy nearly every afternoon. But if we can use it to keep the inch worms (we're usually under trees) off the Rocket Stove when preparing a meal...priceless!

Cheers,
thom
Not a fan of "self-propelled protein additives", Thom?
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #22

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Red face

the first time my wife noticed them it was to late for the morning meal being cooked on the stove...& it was sort of funny watching her from a distance realize what the white _sprinkles_ were on the bacon!
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #23

Name: M
Trailer: Influx
Usa
Thank you Carl, for the heads up on the great sale price.
Mimi Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I'm glad they went back on sale for some of you, just hope it works out as its still in the experimental stage. But I figure for 45.00 I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work out I'm not out much at all. Thanks Carl for letting everyone know they went back on sale, Brian did tell me they were. But you beat me to it on posting it.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #25

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Nice!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #26

Name: M
Trailer: Influx
Usa
Yes, Tim, I figure for 45 bucks, we'll still be able to use it at school functions, etc., even if we later opt for the vintage fabric awning later down the line.

FYI - Just found out that going to Gander Mtn via the ebates.com portal will net you a 4% rebate, plus there is a code GMTN10 for 10 off $100. I picked up some water floaties for the littles and Rome Pie Irons that I've been coveting for a while as they are on sale, too. Hmm... spend money to save money
Mimi Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Good deal Mimi and the pie irons are always a hit camping.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
This looks like a good idea. The local GM store is holding one for me. I don't have a dining fly/EZ-up of any kind right now, so even if this doesn't play well w/ the scamp, it will be useful to have on hand. Will let everybody know how it works out tomorrow.
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jim
The GM canopy is 12 ft. which fits the 12' body of the 15 ft. Parkliner. I have used 10ft. canopy's on Scamp 13's since they have 10 ft. bodies. Not saying the GM 12' canopy won't work, just giving you something to think about.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #30

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Good point Eddie. It definitely fits different on the shorter Scamp box.

At first I tried it without the 2 legs but it awkwardly wrapped too far down around the ends of the hull. Then I realized the leg holes were right at the end of the hull, so the legs were stuck in their respective grommets. That seemed to work well with the legs right on either end of the hull and the edge of the fly running along the roof. The adjustable tiedowns were hooked to the rear bumper and front tongue, and the outer 2 poles were staked down with the adjustable tiedown ropes.

It's a decent unit for ~$50, but don't pay much more than that.

And somehow the 2 pics of the erected fly got lost between the camera and the computer.

Oh well, here's a pic of the tent pole, bright orange guy lines and newly mounted rear jacks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC08109.jpg  
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Any rubbing on the fiberglass?
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #32

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Since Im attaching mine pretty similarly, I havent seen any and Im looking. If it does, either pool noodles or fake lambswool will go against the fiberglass. If I remember right, the ParkLiner is 12'long, but a lil less at the top, I think its around 11'6", so Im useing 2 joined 6' poles through a sleeve at the top, so its not right against the fiberglass...might be a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
new awning pic2.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #33

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
I found a couple dining canopies similar at K-Mart on sale.
Got them both for $37.50 each. I have awnings, but thought
these would be a good addition at times. And they don't
weigh near as much as those easy-up types.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #34

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Variation on the theme. Thanks PL owners and Eddie L. 49$ shipped from Gander Mtn. Fits very nicely on the Burro. I put two of the dumbell suction cup lifters from Horrible Fright (6$ ea.) on the flat of the trolley top, drilled a hole in each for the hook and bungee which normally would attach to the D-ring at the top of the canopy pole. The two corner guys front and rear run to bumper and tongue. I began with the idea that I would run polyprop line thru the hollow handles of the dumbell lifters (I planned to use four spaced evenly along the trolley top) which would act (with grommets and plastic snap shackles on the one canopy edge) as a sort of halyard or outhaul which could be operated from the ground. While mocking this up for the first time, I discovered that one suction cup each end would do the job and decided not to make it more complicated than need be. I can attach the suction cups and hook the canopy from the 2' step stool shown but a 3 or 4 footer would be handier. I hope this works as well as cinching the edge below the reverse trolley pontoon of the ParkLiner? I had no trouble erecting by myself. The tension bows make the canopy rigid enuf to stand with only one outbd. leg inserted so it's not one of those "need three hands, teeth to make knots, tail to swish flies" operations. With one side of the 11'-6" canopy on the edge of the trolley top, canopy projects from the trailer side 8'-3"; about the same projection as a conventional canopy.

Thunderstorm forecast for late this afternoon so I will find out if I have a canopy or a kite. I will have to develop a drill to take off sail in a hurry! Incidentally, there is no nylon patch tape included with the GM canopy and the stakes are absolutely worthless. I like the size and wgt. of the carry bag (5'x6"x28") when packed and there's room for my foot long steel angle stakes and patch tape but the suction lifters will have to pack separately.

I have a steel-frame EZ-up type canopy with a big weight penalty, big footprint packed, and a PIB to set up for only one nite. For the expense (about 62$ with the suction cup lifters), I like what I see so far.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01140.jpg   DSC01142.jpg  

DSC01137.jpg   DSC01136.jpg  

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do the suction cups from HF hold for long periods..i.e. days?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #36

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Mine just arrived this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to unpack yet but thanks for the heads up on the stakes. I was planning on packing my heavy duty ones and you've confirmed my suspicions. They will definitely go in the case! I plan to go with bungees, at first, on the ParkLiner but am toying with the idea of cutting the hooks off a set of ratchet straps and stitching them on to the corners on the trailer side.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #37

Delaware
Tom, I've got four of the dumbbell lifters. I bought them Monday after ordering the FM canopy Sunday and they've been up there since Monday. I have one of the four that isn't trustworthy and loses vacuum on one cup. They are very sensitive to convexity in the surface; need a flat for one cup and a still larger flat plane for the dumbbells. Got the receipt so the bad one going back.

My thunderstorm went north of us but I got a little wind. Altho gusty, wasn't strong enuf to produce much distortion or pull the suction cups free. One of the criticisms of these things is that they aren't strong in resistance to sheer. I think mine are aftually pretty good in sheer as I haven't pulled one loose yet pulling at a right angle to the cups. I'm going to try this rig out at Assateague on the Accomac Peninsula mid-month; should be sustained wind there. Let you know.

jack
Old 05-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Tom, I've got four of the dumbbell lifters. I bought them Monday after ordering the FM canopy Sunday and they've been up there since Monday. I have one of the four that isn't trustworthy and loses vacuum on one cup. They are very sensitive to convexity in the surface; need a flat for one cup and a still larger flat plane for the dumbbells. Got the receipt so the bad one going back.

My thunderstorm went north of us but I got a little wind. Altho gusty, wasn't strong enuf to produce much distortion or pull the suction cups free. One of the criticisms of these things is that they aren't strong in resistance to sheer. I think mine are aftually pretty good in sheer as I haven't pulled one loose yet pulling at a right angle to the cups. I'm going to try this rig out at Assateague on the Accomac Peninsula mid-month; should be sustained wind there. Let you know.

jack
Thanks. I was actually thinking of using a pair to augment my roof rack. The roof rack is biased to the rear of the vehicle and when the canoe is on with the trailer, I need to keep it way forward to clear the trailer. So, a pair of these just behind the windshield would add a lot of stabilization to the front of the canoe....if they hold a suction.......
Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #39

Delaware
Tom, you're the automotive engineer so you'll know if my answer indicates my head residing in dark place. I have the feeling from having put these suckers on different areas of the Burro that convexity of surface ain't good. There are special suction cups made for curved surfaces. They're very expensive. Mine work very well on a 9' long section of the trolley top.

I know enuf about mold making at the "bootstrap" level to realize that if a big flat plane is acceptable, most people will utilize sheet material in the plug and minimize station framing to achieve a fair appearance. On the flip side is that Ford Contour of a few yrs. back. Supposedly the sheet metal had more to do with the possibilities of computer design than with sculpted clay. Was there a definable flat 5" in diameter anywhere on that car. My guess is that you'll be hunting for a flat spot on the roof of your Escape so might not be a workable idea. I should try sticking them on the 4runner, particularly in the area fwd of the roof rack. The old way with canoes, however badly the rack was located, was to haul the canoe down bow eyes to bumpers both ends.

jack
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Actually, you do not want to tie off your canoe at extreme bow and stern.
If you do, it looks like this: /-----/
As you can see, that prevents the canoe from going backwards, but there is nothing to prevent it from going forward ( as in a panic stop ).
Need to tie like this: /----\--
I tie at the rear, to one of the thwarts, not to the stern.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner