Ventura -first step into the trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Ventura -first step into the trailer

There is a lot of give to the floor on the first step into the trailer. I can see that the bottom door frame is not attached to the sides and the PO replaced the first foot or so of plywood so that area is not connected to the rest of the subfloor.
Are these factors enough to be causing the bouncy step or is something else going on?
Has anyone else had this occur in their Ventura?
Besides correcting the floor and door frame, I am considering having the frame extended at that point (if possible), to within a few inches of the door, to give a firm base.
I know this will really bother me if it is not fixed.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
There should be an angle iron support under the floor in the entrance area. The weld on mine was broken. Also, never step on the door frame, it will break the corner weld on the frame(on any trailer). What I did was install a piece of plywood under the door frame to force it upward. As far as the floor, I think it was only cheap 1/2 plywood which is pretty bouncy and rots out if it gets wet. Check the seal on the door and also the window in the door leaks like crazy and will rot the door out.

My bet is on the angle iron being broken
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Alberta
Registry
BTW the floor in these animals was laid into the wet fiberglass as it was molded so its stuck down like glue. Mine was soft in that area and I used some stuff called Gritrot to firm it up and seal it. Others have removed the entire floor with a lot of 4 letter words flying around and damage to the fiberglass floor pan.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #4

Ontario
Doorstep

thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know. The PO said there was no door when he bought it, Just the homemade screen door. He made a door but it is too deep and does not really fit. I know I have to take the whole thing off and build a new door.
I will go and look again but I checked quickly before and saw no metal support under that area. I am going to embark on fiberglassing the belly band so could put plywood under the step at the same time if you think that will solve the problem. I assume that trying to have a piece welded on aat this point would be challenging.
Again, thanks.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Ontario
Floor

I have removed the floor on the raised back and front sections with no damage ,so far.
I am finishing today on the main area but there I am doing about 10 inches around the perimeter where the floor is rotten and disintegrating in parts. I will be leaving and treating the centre, once I get the lino off.
It has been a real job cleaning the floor of the trailer- in the gullies behind the wheel wells there was about 6 inches of compost- rotted organic material and in a cupboard a mass of sticky substance with maggots.
Was about to find a torch at that point but kept calm and carried on.
it is looking and smelling much better now and I will soon turn the corner to rebuilding.
Thanks for your replies.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I have removed the floor on the raised back and front sections with no damage ,so far.
I am finishing today on the main area but there I am doing about 10 inches around the perimeter where the floor is rotten and disintegrating in parts. I will be leaving and treating the centre, once I get the lino off.
It has been a real job cleaning the floor of the trailer- in the gullies behind the wheel wells there was about 6 inches of compost- rotted organic material and in a cupboard a mass of sticky substance with maggots.
Was about to find a torch at that point but kept calm and carried on.
it is looking and smelling much better now and I will soon turn the corner to rebuilding.
Thanks for your replies.
Hi Pat ! I know it is a pain , wish there was some pictures . I am following your progress as I said I would . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

Ontario
Pics to come

Once I finish for the day I will take more pics and upload them. I was taking some everyday to chronicle the progress but once I really got into it, I was too consumed with the work itself. I marvel at the people who video the whole process. I would just forget about the camera.
Thanks for your support. It is hard but still fun and I look forward to starting every day.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Once I finish for the day I will take more pics and upload them. I was taking some everyday to chronicle the progress but once I really got into it, I was too consumed with the work itself. I marvel at the people who video the whole process. I would just forget about the camera.
Thanks for your support. It is hard but still fun and I look forward to starting every day.
Pat
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

Ontario
More about the floor

Once the wood by the front door was taken up, I could see that there is a crack just behind (looking from outside) the door frame on the right. (see pic) The door frame on the left side is not attached.
I did find the iron crossbar underneath. It was further back than I expected. Someone had put 3 small pieces of plywood (now punky) under the floor near the door but they really don't do anything.
The floor has a very noticeable slope down to the door from there. and then another slope into the trailer, so the bar creates a high point.
I am going to put in a continuous piece of plywood, repair the frame and try to fix the crack. As well, I am going to try Dudley's suggestion of using a piece of plywood underneath on the outside to force the floor up.
Any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2452.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Once the wood by the front door was taken up, I could see that there is a crack just behind (looking from outside) the door frame on the right. (see pic) The door frame on the left side is not attached.
I did find the iron crossbar underneath. It was further back than I expected. Someone had put 3 small pieces of plywood (now punky) under the floor near the door but they really don't do anything.
The floor has a very noticeable slope down to the door from there. and then another slope into the trailer, so the bar creates a high point.
I am going to put in a continuous piece of plywood, repair the frame and try to fix the crack. As well, I am going to try Dudley's suggestion of using a piece of plywood underneath on the outside to force the floor up.
Any other suggestions?
Pat not sure what I am looking at . Another pic further away to get some prospective . Have you worked with fiberglass ? Pat
Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #11

Ontario
flooring

That is just a crack and hole in the fiberglass by the door, it weakens the threshhold significantly.
I have not used fiberglass but am about to become immersed in it. I have to fiberglass the top and bottom together and there are lots of holes and cracks to be patched. I have read many threads and watched videos and feel sightly prepared.
I have started a "progress" thread on the alterations etc forum with pics. I will update it when I have anything new.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
That is just a crack and hole in the fiberglass by the door, it weakens the threshhold significantly.
I have not used fiberglass but am about to become immersed in it. I have to fiberglass the top and bottom together and there are lots of holes and cracks to be patched. I have read many threads and watched videos and feel sightly prepared.
I have started a "progress" thread on the alterations etc forum with pics. I will update it when I have anything new.
You will do just fine with the fiberglass job. Just remember if it is not as smooth as you like it can be sanded I am busy working on my doorway with fiberglass this week. The floor was rotted, the opening for the door frame had been made too large. The shell was never strong enough...so it goes. Bigger job than I would have liked but it just one step at time.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:21 AM   #13

California
[QUOTE=Patricia D.;595534]That is just a crack and hole in the fiberglass by the door, it weakens the threshhold significantly.
I have started a "progress" thread on the alterations etc forum with pics. I will update it when I have anything new
Hi Pat just like Dudley says . I Just finished repairing a crack on my door . Actually it is kind of fun . I wish I had a picture of the whole situation . From what it showed you will need some reinforcement , fiberglass cloth you embed first . Protect your lungs , eye's and skin . I know you already know that .I was scared because my trailer is still new ,but once I got into it , it was not hard at all . I was told to watch temp too . Early morning best time to work with if your temps are over 80. It will set up too fast . Any help I can just holler . Pat
Old 06-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Fiberglassing isn't too bad, just remember, gloves, dust mask, safety glasses and acetone for removing it from stuff like arms. Hardest part is trying to get the darn gloves off when covered in resin. Read the mixing instuctions well as to how much hardener to use( you may need to use a little less if its hot as it may set up too fast. Pretty forgiving stuff and if you screw up, just grind it out and do again.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #15

Ontario
Need clarification

Does anyone know what the original construction of the Ventura threshold looked like? Was the flooring continuous to the door or was there a separate small piece (about 12x22) at the doorway and did the floor slope toward the door, possibly for drainage?
I am going to try to raise the sagging floor at the door (as I repair the corner crack) by putting a plywood/fiberglass patch underneath and pushing the threshold up from underneath to meet the new subfloor with adhesive or resin between the fg and the subfloor.
I would just like to get an idea if that floor was originally level or slanted and, if so, how much.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #16

Alberta
Registry
Pretty sure the main floor was all one piece except for the part between the front benches. I am pretty sure that the floor at the door was level( or as close to level as these guys come). I used to place the level there when jacking the trailer.

BTW just to clarify, I put a small piece of plywood on top of the floor under the door frame to force the door frame up and support it as the frame corner weld was broken. I did not force the floor upwards. I used caulking on the frame where it was cracked to seal it from water, which may be where your floor got wet.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #17

Ontario
Thanks

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I wanted know.
It is a bit of a handicap never having seen another Ventura. And they certainly are not showing up on youtube, unlike Bolers and Shastas .
This trailer has a very noticeable slope and I want to eliminate at least some of it, if possible. Perhaps force was too harsh a word, more like coax.
Whichever, the floor at the door does need some reinforcing.
I had been wondering about the gap between the bottom of the frame and the fiberglass. It seemed about the depth of the plywood on the floor.
I took the door and frame (along with the windows) off today so now know what I am dealing with.
We are in for a stretch of rain so I have something that I can work on in the garage until I can get back to the trailer.
Again, thanks for all your help.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Wish I could help with some photo's but my Ventura is now up in Dawson Creek BC area so my memory will have to do.

Here is the only photo I have of the door area
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01435 (Medium).JPG  
Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #19

Ontario
Looks level as far as I can see and neatly finished. Hope mine gets to that stage.
Thanks for looking for pics. I appreciate it.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #20

Alberta
Registry
on mine there was an aluminum piece that was on a 45 degree from the floor to the door frame. You can see it in the picture under the magic screen. The piece of wood to support the door frame was under the aluminum piece.

Tags
ventura