Casita vs Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Name: Luke
Trailer: Casita
Upper Midwest
Casita vs Scamp

Who's wins? Discuss.
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Buyer wins, discussion ends!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #3

Upper Midwest
Ha! Agreed!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Exactly!

They're more alike than different, and for most people the choice is ultimately decided by what comes your way at the right time & price.

There are differences, of course, but most are matters of taste and preference. I could tell you why I prefer my Scamp, but I've never owned (or even been inside) a Casita, so my opinion isn't really worth much! I could tell you that I prefer rat fur to carpet, curtains over blinds, and plain brown upholstery over a dated print. I could tell you that my Scamp is a bit taller inside than a Casita. But the truth is that I met and married my Scamp before I ever set eyes on a Casita. And I'll defend her until I die!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
While looking at FG TT's (from the outside only) during our last tent camping trip, I was intrigued by the Casita, but I was fixed on 5th wheel kind of towing at that time already, so it was Scamp, or bust. I was willing to wait for the right one to come along. I am happy with mine. If Casita made one, I would be in a tizzy, or maybe, I would have had more options!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
I was happy to snatch up the first 13' egg I found in my price range that wasn't half a day's drive (or more!) away. In my case that happened to be a 13' scamp, but I think I could be just as happy with a Casita Patriot, however a majority of those that I've seen locally to me have a toilet/shower instead of front bunks, so that kind of eliminated them as a possibility. Trilliums and Bolers don't tend to show up very often down here.

As far as the rest.. I didn't really care about the details because I knew I'd be redoing much of the interior anyways with an older trailer. I happen to love the paint job that my scamp came with, however my husband was absolutely NOT a fan (in fact some of his initial comments about it were hilarious). I think it's growing on him, slowly... especially since I am not planning on painting over it and we've had several people stop and comment on how cute it is.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I have been ogling your egg since it showed up here. This is what I would like to do if I ever need to repaint it!
https://www.google.com/search?q=czec...=1453&bih=1070
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Scamp feels more spacious than Casita, if that's important to a person. The reason is that Scamp makes their cabinets a bit less deep and thus the aisle is a bit wider. Perhaps the Casita's carpeted walls come into play, too.

The Casita has full molded fiberglass underneath, whereas the Scamp has a wood underbelly.

The Scamp is available with hardwood cabinets, the Casita is not.

If one were buying new, all these things come into play. When shopping used units, one often must jump on the first one available regardless of brand.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Scamp vs. Casita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
They're more alike than different, and for most people the choice is ultimately decided by what comes your way at the right time & price.
They are as alike as apples and oranges can be...

Scamp 13' "Standard" built in Backus, Minnesota
...lowest price standard 13' trailer
  • "epoxy encapsulated" wood floor exposed to the road below
  • Interior height 6’ 3” (after 2006 factory fire)
  • Sleeps 4 with standard front couch/bunks (Deluxe = Wood Cabinetry)
    • has optional bathroom version available that only sleeps 2 in both fiberglass and wood interiors
  • 13" tires
  • Marine headliner wall covering (a.k.a."ratfur")
  • Ice box standard, (1.9 cu. ft. fridge optional) under stove
  • 1 Propane tank standard
  • Curtains
  • Crank open windows
  • Emergency escape Roof hatch/vent
  • Hand-pump water faucet
    • 12 Volt Demand Water System optional
    • Silverware drawer optional
  • Lower height due to dropped floor in front

Casita 13' "Patriot Deluxe" built in Rice, Texas
...because Casita doesn't build standard versions much anymore
  • Wood floor mounted inside full fiberglass "bathtub" bottom
  • Interior height 5’ 10” (similar to pre-2006 Scamp)
  • Sleeps 2 with front bathroom (Deluxe = Front Bathroom)
    • optional "standard version?" sleeps 4 but is no longer available but wood interior was never available
  • 15" tires
  • Plush Carpet wall covering
  • 1.9 cu. ft. fridge standard next to entry door across from sink & stove
  • 2 Propane tanks with hard cover standard
  • Mini Blinds
  • Sliding windows
  • Emergency escape Side Window
  • 12 Volt Demand Water System standard because of bathroom
  • Silverware drawer standard
  • Higher stance due to raised floor at rear dinette
Old 08-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Casita vs Scamp vs Escape vs Parkliner vs Bigfoot vs Oliver and list keeps going.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #11

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I have been ogling your egg since it showed up here. This is what I would like to do if I ever need to repaint it!
https://www.google.com/search?q=czec...=1453&bih=1070
Genius plan
Old 08-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
for most people the choice is ultimately decided by what comes your way at the right time & price.
There you go, used trailer beggers can't always be choosers. Unless you want to stay home dreaming about camping. I am not in the new trailer market right now, but if I was neither the Scamp or Castia would be my choice. I am not going to spend 16-18k for a trailer with a little bitty bed.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
scamp vs casita

I own a 17' Casita and I have never been in a Scamp. I very much like the photos I see of the deluxe Scamps. The wood on the interior looks great. I may eventually change all my interior doors to real wood. The one reason I prefer my Casita is because of the capacity of my fresh and waste tanks. 25 gallon fresh, 35 gallon gray and a 15 gal or so black tank. We mostly boondock and the big tanks make it easier. I also think its important that the black and Grey tanks are separate.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #14

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have had both and like them both and wouldn't hesitate to buy either again. There are small differences between the two but as many have said the most important thing is to buy one and get out camping. You are not going to get everything you want most likely in one trailer, prioritize whats most important to you.
The good thing about eggs especially if you buy used is you can usually buy one try it and sell it for pretty much the same price if you want to try another
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm with the Kootenai. I've loved every RV we've had but not nearly as much as our travels. As to small beds, neither of us are tiny, yet we have never had a bad nights sleep in any of our little trailer beds, bed size 44-48".

We are both gifted and can sleep through the TV, lights, typing in bed or sunlight. We wake refreshed every morning. We come home to our queen bed and feel nothing special, don't jump for joy with our wider bed. Sometimes I lie in our queen thinking about our next trip.

One of the all time lines is 'love the one you're with'.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #16

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I am not in the new trailer market right now, but if I was neither the Scamp or Castia would be my choice. I am not going to spend 16-18k for a trailer with a little bitty bed.
Ditto this... they are probably worth it to the people who buy them new, but i couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a 13' trailer.

I'm absolutely fine with buying a 30 year old one and dealing with it's "issues" because I still feel like I come out WAY ahead in the end and I'll have a solid trailer that I can still enjoy for years and years.. plus I kind of enjoy the process of getting to know my trailer inside and out.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
With Sarah on buying used. There are advantages to a used trailer and getting to know it is definitely one of them. One of the strengths of fiberglass trailers is how well they stand up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #18

Upper Midwest
Great points everyone! Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Ditto this... they are probably worth it to the people who buy them new, but i couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a 13' trailer.

I had the same problem when I bought my "right sized" Ranger.
Everyone complained that I could have bought a "too big" truck for about the same price.

A new "Shelby" Mustang costs twice as much as an Econoline.
If "volume/dollar" in travel trailers is the standard...POP-UPS WIN!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #20

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm with the Kootenai. I've loved every RV we've had but not nearly as much as our travels. As to small beds, neither of us are tiny, yet we have never had a bad nights sleep in any of our little trailer beds, bed size 44-48".

We are both gifted and can sleep through the TV, lights, typing in bed or sunlight. We wake refreshed every morning. We come home to our queen bed and feel nothing special, don't jump for joy with our wider bed. Sometimes I lie in our queen thinking about our next trip.

One of the all time lines is 'love the one you're with'.
Dear Honda,

The part of your quote that starts with "We are both gifted..." Says it all for me. The "comforts of home" do not draw my heart and soul as much as a night on my Scamp bed. And when I bring family, I sleep on the lower bunk/sofa and still sleep like a happy baby.

Absolutely nothing like camping to me, and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp