Bigfoot Silver Cloud - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Bigfoot Silver Cloud

Anybody have info on these beauties? Im doing google searches, etc. Finding some stuff but not a terrible amount. Heres really the questions I would love to know:

Is the floor wood exposed like a Scamp, or sealed in like a Casita?
What years were these manufactured to/from?
How many were manufactured?
Gross Weight?
Interior height?
Any approximate value? The ones I've seen have sold relatively cheap?? why?? age??

Thank you!!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: JWScarab... They are fairly rare as Bigfoot went bust around 2008-9 due in no small part from the economy. Bigfoot is back again but making a much reduced line of slide in campers and trailer models.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Did you do a search here? I used the Search Site / Google feature and typed in "silver cloud" and got about 5 pages of posts about Bigfoot Silver Cloud trailers.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Sad story:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-49671.html
http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/f...-ends-april-15
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #5

Ohio
Guys - Ive obsessed about the Silver Cloud all day. My wife and I spent the summer camping in the Casita! We loved it!! I didnt post our trips on here for worry of peeps knowing we are gone, but we spent some good time in it. A trip to South Bass Island, a 2 week road trip around Lake Michigan, including Traverse City, Pictured Rock, Munsing, Apostle Islands, etc. Some trips to the local Canoe rental to boon dock, 4 nights at Obey River in TN, - we enjoyed it a LOT. Really LOVED the ease of pulling the Casita - as we dont know its behind us for the most part.

I pull with a 2011 Silverado with a 4.8L V8. Not the HP or torque of the 5.3 but I didnt want the active fuel management system (turns off cylinders) due to the issues it has. So my tow rating is awesome with the Casita.

Heres the problem. Im almost 6'6". The Casita is VERY do-able for me, but I do have to keep head down a lot, and I have to side sleep pulling my knees up a tad. Not a big deal as I sleep this way anyway at home.

So heres the deal - I always DREAM - like salivate - at the thought of selling the house and full timing at least for 2-3 years with the Mrs. after retirement. Well, the Casita isnt going to cut it. So when I mentioned recliners in my other post - Donna mentioned the Silver Cloud. I did a little research and got VERY excited as I didnt even know anything like this existed in a molded fiberglass - which I am attached to. The more I read about them - the more I wanted one! Not 100% sure I would need a bigger TV, but thats ok if need be..

So here comes the heart breaker. As I read about them I read only 13 were made (I doubt that) and I see several that have been sold in the last 4 years. Most are in Canada. I read on, Im pumped but realize I'll never own one due to their rareness.

Then, like it was meant to be, - I find one - dead serious. I find a Bigfoot Silver Cloud today for a great price. Its a one owner and ready to camp. Good floor, etc. no issues. Heres the issue. I live in Ohio, and the Silver Cloud is all the way across the country. How do you buy a 27 year old camper sight unseen? I can afford it, but to buy it sight unseen means any issues are mine. Bad floor = HUGE regret buying it. And I am 2500 miles away and I cant inspect it. I would be driving there today if it were 1000 miles away, but 2500 miles on a salesmans word?

Help me guys - what do you guys do? He says its 6'8" of interior head room, very nice condition, solid floors, everything works, and its a Bigfoot Silver Cloud - the camper everybody on here says is the crown jewel but cant be found.

I realize that just posting this means somebody else will buy it out from me. It will end my agony. But is anybody on this forum available to do an inspection? Are there services (trust worthy and reasonable) that will do the same? The camper is in Oregon. Its a US camper which is also a HUGE plus. I want it bad. I just have HUGE logistical issues.

Then, there is the issue of getting it home. I guess I really have to fly out there to see it, then fly back, then jump in the truck and drive 5200 miles. I dont have electric brake setup on the TV yet. uggggg I'm not retired yet. Not many vacation days left.

I guess if I'm serious, I have to fly out there, inspect, buy, fly back - then pay to have it delivered. I would do that if I knew it was the perfect FGRV. But then again, when we do retire in 10 years - is a 40 year old camper going to work for us? Or will it be a unreliable relic.

http://www.rvoutletonline.com/en_us/...ugene-or=28226

Signed - if its meant to be it will be I guess.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 10-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Joe, I saw that listing a while ago. Kinda interesting for sure.

Bigfoot has many good things to offer, seeing it is one of the rare 4 season trailers out there. They were well built, and finished fairly good too.

With something like that is that you would likely have some updating and renovating to do, but if you were good with putting in a labour of love. I bet it could be a great unit.

However, the kicker with something like that for me, would be the weight of the unit, and when I retire (not too awful far off), I want to travel a lot, and you would have to pay a pretty big fuel penalty for towing it around.

This is one of the reasons I am going with an Escape 5.0TA. Much lighter, and way less length behind the tow vehicle. I had the Escape 19 for over 6 years, and like the product. That said, I will likely do as much modifying to it, as one would have to do to this Silver Cloud, but I very much enjoy the process of planning, and then executing once I have it.

The Silver Cloud would also likely cost a bunch less to buy, and fix up real nice.

Best of luck either way you go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #7

Ohio
As much as this KILLS me - and it does KILL me to no end. Im not doing it. It will require a TON of logistics, and possibly a new TV.

For the Mrs and I in our "pre-retirement" stage, the Casita fits well - just zip around anywhere.

I'd still LOVE this for POST retirement tho. We plan to road trip but stay a LONG time at each stop - keeping towing to a minimum, and living space would be awesome!

Somebody grab it up so I dont have to keep looking at it. Its ready to go condition. Can be had for 7k-ish offer.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have been watching the fibreglass market since 2011. I have seen at least 6, and now 7 Silver Cloud trailers for sale. If not this one, you will find another one.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #9

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
I think you made the right decision...NEVER buy a trailer sight unseen...I found my "perfect" trailer on Craig's List in Arizona, photos looked great, being sold by soldier leaving for Afganistan, stupidly sent money and it never arrived...it was a scam. You could hire a reputable trailer dealer to go inspect for you.

I finally found another posted on FRG...they can be sold within a couple of days...I bought mine same day as posting and drove to BC to see it..(3 other buyers were waiting in the wings, one even from Texas).

Good luck finding something with a tall ceiling height - my sons or grandkids are too tall for my Scamp.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That "Soldier leaving for Afghanistan" is a common, and the most disgusting, ruse used by scammers. I know I have seen it a dozen times in the past two years attached to RV's of all shapes and sizes. The seller also claims that it's packed and ready to be shipped for free. Pure B.S. of the first order. Sorry you got caught in that net.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm kinda sorry I started this "check out the Silver Cloud" story because so few were built. The closest I've found to that layout was the Eddie Bauer Airstream... THOUSANDS more. And waaaay heavier.

Buy something to enjoy and move on... with a eye on the classifieds. You never know when one of those Bigfoot Silver Cloud's will show up for sale.

In the meantime, buy something to enjoy and MAKE MEMORIES!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi The Silver Cloud Made by Bigfoot trailer was made in 1986/87 they only made 12 of them they were designed for two people. They had a full queen bed ... or twin beds, the cabinets were made of oak had a full bath and shower. They were 28ft long, also pretty heavy and in 1986 the cost was $65,000 . I have found 8 of them even went to look at one that had been in Alaska its whole life,well it needed work.I have pics of the inside if u would like. Bigfoot at this present time is working on a NEW 28ft moulded trailer. Big and beautiful Bigfoot.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Bigfoot at this present time is working on a NEW 28ft moulded trailer.
Now THAT'S interesting! I was contemplating a new 25-footer but I'll have to see what this new 28-foot model has to offer. Please post any updates on this when you hear something. Thanks Rick!
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #14

Name: Angel
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Bigfoot at this present time is working on a NEW 28ft moulded trailer. Big and beautiful Bigfoot.
Hi Rick,
Is there any other information you can share about this NEW 28ft Bigfoot that is in the works?
Curious minds would love to know. Thank you!
Angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #15

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm kinda sorry I started this "check out the Silver Cloud" story because so few were built. The closest I've found to that layout was the Eddie Bauer Airstream... THOUSANDS more. And waaaay heavier.

Buy something to enjoy and move on... with a eye on the classifieds. You never know when one of those Bigfoot Silver Cloud's will show up for sale.

In the meantime, buy something to enjoy and MAKE MEMORIES!
Donna, it all good! Actually Im very glad you posted about them! I learned these beauties are out there! So cool! I got over it tho because we are 10 years away from hitting the road - and for that reason, our Casita is perfect for the next 10 years!

In 2026....lol....we will pick up a 25RQ (and do the dinette to recliner conversion) or one of these new 28fters peeps are talking about (I'll find one 10 years old and affordable then).

So Thank You Very Much for the info about these beauties!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal

Tags
bigfoot, cloud