79 Surfside door seal replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
79 Surfside door seal replacement

Hard to find a bulb seal with a clip portion big enough to fit over the wide (2 layers thick ranges from 1\4 to 3\8 in. thick) FG inner edge of the door. Has anyone replaced one and if so where did you buy it? Easy to find bulb seal with a smaller clip. Photo shows old and new seals and door frameClick image for larger version

Name:	1497029085942.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	107134 [ATTACH]107133
Thx
Attached Thumbnails
20170609_102251.jpg  
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

Name: Garnet
Trailer: 83? 17' Boler
Saskatchewan
This is my first reply and thought my solution for my boiler trailer might help someone, I went to the local auto recycler and picked the weatherstripping from a Chevrolet van sliding door. You will notice the bulb has a stiffener in 2 places that can be pulled out of the nearest vent hole in the bulb easily with long nose pliers, then cut to length and tap in place.
Sorry no pics.
Garnet L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #3

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
David D, hi, good photos, really shows the matter under discussion...hope you find just the right thing!

GarCon -- welcome to the world of helping other owners! I like your solution; Chevy van sliding door seal. Well worth considering.

How do you pronounce GarCon?

Glad to see you here!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The company called Trim-lok makes the seals you are looking for.

Here is a link to their catalog download. It is a big file, 44 pages of stuff so it will take a while to download. Or you can view it online at their website but it is nice to have it on hand for easy reference. The locking bulb seal you want is in the first section of the catalog.

catalog: https://www.trimlok.com/secure/conte...i+10132016.pdf

You can often find lower prices for this type of seal on Ebay so check there before you buy using the dimensions and keywords from the catalog in your search criteria.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

British Columbia
Garcon: Good suggestion.
I went with a new bulb seal(shown in thread). The reinforced clip on the seal looked to small but I was able to expand it and dry fit with the help of a rubber mallet, this opened up the clip to fit the FG edge. Once dry fitted I glued and clamped the upper corners first, then worked my way down both side gluing and clamping. Seems to work well. Will post photos...
Old 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

Name: James
Trailer: triple e
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
Hard to find a bulb seal with a clip portion big enough to fit over the wide (2 layers thick ranges from 1\4 to 3\8 in. thick) FG inner edge of the door. Has anyone replaced one and if so where did you buy it? Easy to find bulb seal with a smaller clip. Photo shows old and new seals and door frameAttachment 107134 [ATTACH]107133
Thx
Hey.

I actually perused EBAY for days trying to find the right U channel with Bulb seal as I had the same scenario a few years back. I got lucky finally and ordered the correct product. Significantly cheaper than other avenues and speciality stores... anyway, this was the specific size I bought of eBay..

TRIM LOK INC 6100B3X1/4A-25 Trim Seal,Alum Clip,0.42 In W,25 Ft

... it was 40 USD with 5$ delivery.

The size was correct for my trailer, however.. because of my old door being a little warped with age, I still had a couple of areas with openings and not water tight.

I ended up grabbing some window bulb strip self adhesive thingy from the auto section at Canadian tire for 15$.. stuck it right to the the above bulb seal and created a double seal the whole way around the door. Worked amazing and still does. Water and bug tight when closed.

Good luck with this and I hope this helps.
James.
hudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: triple e
Alberta
oops... forgot a crucial step!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudman View Post
Hey.

I actually perused EBAY for days trying to find the right U channel with Bulb seal as I had the same scenario a few years back. I got lucky finally and ordered the correct product. Significantly cheaper than other avenues and speciality stores... anyway, this was the specific size I bought of eBay..

TRIM LOK INC 6100B3X1/4A-25 Trim Seal,Alum Clip,0.42 In W,25 Ft

... it was 40 USD with 5$ delivery.

The size was correct for my trailer, however.. because of my old door being a little warped with age, I still had a couple of areas with openings and not water tight.

I ended up grabbing some window bulb strip self adhesive thingy from the auto section at Canadian tire for 15$.. stuck it right to the the above bulb seal and created a double seal the whole way around the door. Worked amazing and still does. Water and bug tight when closed.

Good luck with this and I hope this helps.
James.

The above is still all true but I did forget to mention that I had to use a dremel with the router guide/bit on the whole inner door edge to get the edge a uniform depth. This way, the bulb and U channel would fit snuggly and correctly. Otherwise, like the problem you're having, the depths of the fibreglass around the door opening vary and nothing's going to fit properly... Sorry for any confusion as it's been a few years since I did that.
hudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

British Columbia
Hi folks. Replaced the bulb seal and reinstalled the door with new hinges in new holes. Door is lined up and requires a good push to engage latch due to more robust bulb seal. Had to design a device to hold the door in place with no hinges. Two by four on the inside connected through the window opening or latch opening, with a (window was out) threaded rod to a plywood 2 by 4 and thin foam combo Click image for larger version

Name:	20170626_141004.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	108061Click image for larger version

ID:	108061on the outside surface of the door. Crank the nut tight and door sits in place while you set up the new hinges in new holes. See photos. Click image for larger version

ID:	108061Click image for larger version

Name:	20170626_140947.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	108062
Old 06-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #9

British Columbia
[QUOTE=David D;647478]Hi folks. Replaced the bulb seal and reinstalled the door with new hinges in new holes. Door is lined up and requires a good push to engage latch due to more robust bulb seal. Had to design a device to hold the door in place with no hinges. Two by four on the inside connected through the window opening or latch opening, with a (window was out) threaded rod to a plywood 2 by 4 and thin foam combo on the outside surface of the door. Crank the nut tight and door sits in place while you set up the new hinges in new holes. See photos.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCon View Post
This is my first reply and thought my solution for my boiler trailer might help someone, I went to the local auto recycler and picked the weatherstripping from a Chevrolet van sliding door. You will notice the bulb has a stiffener in 2 places that can be pulled out of the nearest vent hole in the bulb easily with long nose pliers, then cut to length and tap in place.
Sorry no pics.
Great suggestion, do you recall the approximate year(s) of the chevy van?
Thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #11
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Hi, Over the years I have found and used a number of Taco Marine seals. Very good product and i have had good results with them. They may have what you want

Find them here Taco Marine

Con
Con is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside