Cutting a Bigfoot 25B175FB to install a weight distribution hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Cutting a Bigfoot 25B175FB to install a weight distribution hitch?

Hi All,

I alluded to this in another post, but I very recently purchased a 2016 Bigfoot 25B175FB trailer and am researching installing a weight distribution hitch in order to alleviate some fishtailing which was experienced.

My local RV shop wanted to install an Anderson Hitch, although they said they would need to cut into the fiberglass shrouding surrounding the propane tanks in order to install the brackets. I am very hesitant to cut into the fiberglass of my new trailer, and was wondering if any other Bigfoot owners could let me know if there is a hitch/adapter that one could use in order to get weight distribution on the Bigfoot without cutting into the trailer.

I also sent an email to Bigfoot and am awaiting a reply.

Thanks,

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer First Pic.jpg  
rdf0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If you have fishtailing, the cause of that should be dealt with before any WDH is installed. If it's usually caused by improper loading and needing more hitch weight.

Not sure what WDH would clear your front cover though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 to Jim's comment. Get an accurate tongue weight, and a trailer weight of your trailer loaded for camping.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
live with it....

if you want a WDH...you're going to have to live with cut-outs in the FG....that's just the way it is...doesn't affect anything with the cover...it's only secured by three fasteners...the cut-outs are in the middle of the run....

Looking at your rig, you may or may not need a WDH....it's all about the rear suspension of your TV.....if you can put 400 lbs right at the rear of that trucks bed and not affect the ride, you don't need one....most people do....makes for a nicer drive as well....

a regular/simple/old school WDH has no effect on sway whatsoever....that's not why you use one...and really, when you think of it, there would not be any point in having one if you didn't have enough tonge weight to collapse your rear suspension to begin with
Attached Thumbnails
xxxxxx.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I agree too.

Measure the weight of the trailer and the tongue weight with it equipped just as it was when you had the problem.

For stability, don't have any heavy equipment hanging on the rear of the trailer. Make sure your truck tires are heavy duty and inflated properly.

Sounds like, if anything, you need sway control and not necessarily a WDH. Before you buy an Anderson, look on the Oliver forums and learn more about their problems.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Ryan, as you've found out the TW was a bit light do a few tests before you invest in a WDH. Load it like you're going camping and put some heavier things forward and go pull it on the road. You may find that that was the problem. BTW, cutting the FG for the WDH is a non issue for concern.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You could also join the bigfoot groups on Facebook and ask your questions or Bigfootowners Club. We had to cut a bit out for our Propride as you can see in the images.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1499.jpg   IMG_1500.jpg  

IMG_1501.jpg   IMG_1502.jpg  

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #8

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Minimal cutting with an E-Qualizer brand hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Equalizer.JPG   Equalizer1.JPG  

Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Trail lite by R-VISION
California
Check Trailer Tire Pressure with a gauge, I had a older 2 Axel Trailer If one tire was 5 pounds lower than the rest it was ok until 50 MPH then it waged like a dogs tail.
I now check all tires dailey.
JMCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
x2 on the e-qualizer hitch

We use one on our 25b175G. Towing is solid as a rock. Very pleased with it. We use an "e2 Round Bar Weight Distribution with Sway Control".

But you will have to have some small cut outs in the propane fiberglass cover made.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...fishtailing can be traced (90+%) to faulty loading of trailer...too much weight to the rear of camper is the culprit...towing with the tongue up instead of dead level or slightly nose down can cause this problem as can improperly inflated trailer tires...a wdh or anti-sway WILL NOT FIX this problem...at best, it will mask the problem untill some other factor causes the fishtailing to rear it's ugly head with possibly catastrophic consequences...find and fix your actual problem first!!!!!
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #12

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
looks good....

that e2 hitch looks good....and the amount of FG to cut out would be quite a bit less than a chain type (that uses chains and levers like mine)....not bad price wise either....

the anti-sway stuff ??? hummm, I guess I can imagine SOME resistance.....would be interesting to see an objective test.... and wouldn't metal on metal get noisy after a while???

maybe I'm just being picky..........but if I needed one I'd have to have a hard look at it....in person!

good thread!
Attached Thumbnails
94-00-1001-500x500.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #13

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags