Ordering new Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
How frequently did you need to refill your propane tanks on your last trailer? I have found that when camping off the grid I can get by a couple of weeks with only one tank of propane even with the fridge on propane full time and running the furnace on and off and hot water tank on.
Carol,
That spare tank is called "ballast". It helps to counteract poor loading technique.
Actually I use my second tank for the little weber Q, and can keep refer and water heater going using the selector valve without closing the active tank.
One time due to poor planning I had to make a run into the nearest town to fill a tank while leaving the critically low one to power the fridge.
We also use a "Little Red Campfire" in areas that allow no wood fires. It sucks the propane!
Russ
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #22

California
The bigger bed would be my number one factory mod. It is hard to implement after the build due to the wing wall and stove support column locations. Our Scamp is perfect other than that one missing asset.
Russ
Old 09-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #23

California
Quote:
Didn't know that so I guess mine is a little more than the basic. But I was thinking in regards to more speed options - find that in many situations the lowest of the 3 speed models is not low enough.
Carol,
I wonder if you could add a power resistor to the low setting switch position? Some motors don't like to be run too low. Maybe call Fantastic Fan and ask if that would be an option for you.
Russ
Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Carol,
I wonder if you could add a power resistor to the low setting switch position? Some motors don't like to be run too low. Maybe call Fantastic Fan and ask if that would be an option for you.
Russ
I believe that you can Russ but I can't be bothered.... kind of just adding it to my list of reasons for why I have to have new trailer I have my wishful thinking eye on

BTW I appreciate that you need the extra tank for the fire pit. I have one as well put I use a smaller 10lb tank for it and the portable stove. I have a holder that I put it in so it can ride securely in the back of the truck or the trailer with no fear of it falling over or rolling around. I like having it portable so I am not restricted by the length of hose I have and can place either propane appliances where I want them. Also due to the frequency of how often it needs filling - having a smaller one is easier for me to handle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
The basic three speed fan is the reverseable one on Scamps now, just not temperature controlled or remote

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
I would toss the group 24 deep cycle battery and have them put in at least a group 31 AGM. If your going to get serious with solar may even ask if they can fit two six volt batteries up front. You may have a little more room on the tongue of the 16" than I have on the tongue of the 13', the 31 AGM just fits on my tongue. Its always better to have bigger or more batteries. I put my charge controller in the battery box. The closer to the battery you can mount the charge controller the better. A sealed battery dosen't put out the gas as a vented battery, better for the charge controller. Check link below.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-66495.html
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Ken, instead of the TV antenna just get the plug for cable hookup. You will have a outside attachment. They just buy an antenna of your own.
Here are some ideas.
http://http://www.homeantenna.org/sq...9oZRoC3t7w_wcB

tv antenna - Free Shipping - DX

I got one of those little black ones with the short post and it seems to work ok. I have to have a TV guy change the plug on the one I got. It didn't have the proper coaxial plug.
I've got one of those flat ones too but haven't tried it yet. I saw one on another FG trailer and the people with it said it worked ok.
Check out this antenna by far the best it works where others don't..
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nna-64918.html
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #28

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Make it your own. What you want. However advice from owners does hold insight from been there done that. Good luck
Old 09-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
The basic three speed fan is the reverseable one on Scamps now, just not temperature controlled or remote

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
To clarify...
Scamp offers the Fantastic Fan which is three speed and reversible with a dome top. It is not the basic Fantastic Fan. The basic fan offered by Fantastic Fan is a three speed without the reversible feature. Thermostat or remote are further options.

While not "offered" by Scamp, you may discuss it with them, if you want something "Special."
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
.....need the extra tank......it can ride securely in the back of the truck.............
That is my plan, but then I pull with an F-150 and have plenty of room in the truck. I am converting the Scamp tongue to one propane bottle and two (6V) batteries, just the opposite as it came from the factory. I would rather have my second propane bottle loose.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #31

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Wayne told me that Scamp will build the Scamp16 Deluxe Layout A with a front couch/bunk bed instead of the front dinette. (I don't think that you mentioned which Deluxe you were getting?)

We like the ability to sleep 2 or 3 grandkids in the front bunks and, when no grandkids are along, we sure appreciate the front couch for putting on shoes/clothes when the table/bed is in the bed mode in the morning. (You can still eat a meal up front by using the couch/sofa and a small lightweight folding table. Also, I will soon be trying to get 3 individual cushions for the bottom of the sofa [like most home sofas] to allow easier access to those under-bench storage compartments.)

The electric water pump (my wife's request) sure was nice during a week-long dry camping event.

We use a CLAM 1660 Mag Screen room/tent and optional wind/rain/privacy panels instead of an awning (savings of ~$600).

We like the larger bed.

We made a mistake in not ordering enough 12v and 110v outlets in our Scamp13. We wIsh we had put a 110v near the back wall in the base cabinet for easier power access for a coffee-maker/toaster-oven/etc on the breakfast table. Extra 12v and 110v outlets are a good idea.

Interior LED lighting and above-the-beltline brake turn-signal lights were also on my wish list.

Good luck! ...... I am just a little jealous. ;-)

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #32

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
We are going with the side dinette (plan Two many grandkids to take along. we would need more than bunks. We leave the bed made up all the time. Have extra 12v and 110v on list. We have a teardrop that we carry a canopy for a 12x12 that works great but we are getting tired of lugging it around.
Pat and I are co directors for the Liberty Bell Chapter on the Tearjerkers web site. We have been teardropping for 9 years. Just want to stand up to get dressed.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Room

Ken, I love my teardrop and still use it at fishcreek and a few other places but we also have a fiberglass Uhaul, which I love to be able to stand up and dress instead of lying down in the teardrop, sign of age with me I guess, I have an opportunity to get a casita with a bathroom, it's killing me to not grab it but still looking for a bigger tov, crn Honda shouldn't pull the casita, I'm sure you and pat will love your new scamp and hopefully we wll make it to liberty bell rally some day
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob,

What size Casita is it?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #35

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Casita is a 17'
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #36

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob, We considered a Casita 17 at one time but recognized that we'd have to get a new tow vehicle, that the CRV would not be able to handle the Casita 17's tongue weight.

We did tow a Casita 16 for a year and though heavier than our Scamp 16 with a 250 lb tongue weight, it towed just fine. We bought the Scamp 16 instead of the Casita 15 because internally the Scamp 16 was taller and appeared a lot bigger than a Casita 16.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #37

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
I am in the process of ordering a new 2015 16' Deluxe. The more I talk to them I am finding out there are options if you don't ask they don't tell. Extra set of tail lights above the belt line 75.00 I think well worth it. Changed mfg of a/c and tv ant. Also now a 12' awning on the 16'. Anybody know of anything else. I found these items looking on the facebook pics.
Ken
Ken, I also have a Scamp 16 (Standard) on order for pickup in the spring. My rep at Eveland's is Alan Sheley. The 12' awning is listed on my invoice as well. Are additional tail lights mounted above the 'beltline' an option? It was a boon finding this forum while I can still ask for changes/options! Having previous experience with towing the Scamp 16 do you believe it necessary to use WD and sway control on the hitch? I'm using Good Sam's Route Planner for my itinerary back home 1450 mi. to northern New Jersey. Many campground up north don't open until 1st May. Good luck. I hope we meet one day. My plan is to trailer fulltime solo around the US returning home to New Jersey now and then to take a shower (kidding)
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #38

New Jersey
Flooring in Scamp 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Ken, I feel your pain We ordered a new one this year, and if not for the good peeps on this forum, we wouldn't have found out about the 54" bed that is now optional in the 13 standard. It made us wonder what else we didn't know enough to ask for. Get plenty of outlets, both 110 and 12v. Don't forget the 110 on the outside. Linoleum is optional. I really don't think they make much money on the options. They sure don't push them very aggressively. The brochure and even the website don't reflect all the options.

We're very happy with our Scamp, but I'm almost afraid to follow this thread for fear of finding out what we missed out on. LOL
Good luck!

Tom
Tom,
The invoice for my new Scamp 16 Standard lists vinyl flooring as an option and doesn't mention what the standard flooring is. I'm assuming it is linoleum. I'm calling my rep at Eveland's tomorrow to clarify.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #39

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyWhiskey View Post
Tom,
The invoice for my new Scamp 16 Standard lists vinyl flooring as an option and doesn't mention what the standard flooring is. I'm assuming it is linoleum. I'm calling my rep at Eveland's tomorrow to clarify.
Foam backed carpet is standard.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #40

New Jersey
Scamp flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Foam backed carpet is standard.
Thanks Floyd. I'll order the vinyl option which is $75.00 extra. Considering the way Eveland's describes their product this forum is a much needed medium .

Tags
scamp