Scamp 13' -- sleeping room - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Illinois
Scamp 13' -- sleeping room

My wife and I are considering a 13' Scamp. We've seen (but not tried) the "full size" bed. I am 6' and my wife 5'5" and both reasonably slim. Because one side of the bed is curved (curved with the back wall) we are worried that we may feel a bit cramped.

Any opinions?
Steve Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Don't worry you won't be cramped you will be cuddly. You will have to learn to sleep cuddly again just like the old days. In our Scamp 13 we don't have a front bathroom so when we are not so cuddly one sleeps on the front bunk and one in the back. You can sleep head to toe for a little more room. When your tired you will sleep, buts its an acquired space and takes a little getting use to. If your prone to nightmares or flip flop like a fish all night then you will share the bumps and bruises.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum! I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'3". We also have 2 small dogs, 8 lbs, and 18 lbs . We just took delivery of the big bed standard 13 in Aug. We all fit just fine. The back of the bed is curved, but it's not a factor for my wife. The only negative for the bed is the firmness of the cushions. That is just our opinion. They are fine for many. We corrected that with a memory foam mattress topper made for a double bed. I trimmed the topper back corners using the cushions as a template. We were both surprised how small the rounded corners really were. It shouldn't be a factor for you. We couldn't be more pleased with our Scamp.

Glad to see you doing your research. This forum was a big help to us, and I'm sure it will be to you.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If you buy used, the earlier non-deluxe Scamps have a 48" wide bed IIRC. My DW and I would find that size a little too cozy, I'm sure. But some folks are ok with it. The new ones are wider, of course. If you can sleep fine on a standard double bed pushed against the wall along one side, I doubt the curvature loss will matter much.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
In our partly rebuilt 13' Boler I converted the dinette into a permanent bed and made it about 4" wider so it's now about 52" wide. I also had a mattress made to fit the space perfectly. My wife is just under 6' and I'm about 5'9". I sleep against the curve she has the outside, no complaints from either of us.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Trillium 4500's, (15') have the same floor plan, just more generous dimensions.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve,
We have a Scamp 16. Our bed is 44 inches wide. Ginny is 5'5" and I am 6'1".

We average about 230 days a year in our Scamp 16 and sleep well. Ginny takes the inside and the curved wall has never been an issue with her.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 13' -- sleeping room

Standard scamps have a 44" wide bed. If you buy a new one, a 54" wide bed is now an option, but you get a narrower kitchenette and closet.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We also have the new 54" bed in our 2014 Scamp13L1 and it seems to fit my wife and I just fine. (I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'5" ... both medium build).

As I believe that Norm(?) once pointed out, the width and curved wall might be less of an issue than you might think because you can be right up to the edge of that back wall without fear of falling out of bed. At home, it might be unlikely for you to sleep that close to the edge of the bed. On the other side (front edge), there is some cabinetry by your head and feet and you can also probably sleep pretty much right up to that edge as well.

With the front sofa in Layout 1, if one person is restless/sick/snoring, having someone sleep on the sofa might also be an option.

Many folks have gotten along just fine for years on the 44" wide bed and my personal experience suggests that you should have very little "width" concern with the 54" bed.

Good luck with your decision!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #10

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'8" and we have the smaller bed and would not get the larger one. We wouldn't give up the storage for the bigger bed. We do like to snuggle and this encourages that.

I know the bed is big enough because we had some hot humid weather before I added AC and she went 3 nights without ever touching me! With AC the snuggling is back even in humid weather.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
6'1" and ~225 lbs. wife is much smaller, I fit, she fits, and the 40 lb. dog fits, all on one of the older beds. Dog uses the space down by our feet.

She tends to sleep on her side so the curved wall is not even close to an issue, really where most of us tend to be widest is not our feet and heads, wall gets wider in a pretty short distance.

Agree those are some pretty firm cushions that can benefit from some softer padding especially if you can leave your bed set up, otherwise you have to roll and stash the additional pad(s). Still beat the heck out of sleeping on an air mattress or backpacking bed roll pad.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
My wife and I sleep head to toe. Problem solved!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We also sleep head to toe. We use sleeping bags. Part of using and turning over in a sleeping bag is how look at the sleeping bag. I wear mine so when I turn over the bag goes with me. If turn over inside the bag then I can't find the zipper.

Anne is a bit claustrophobic so I sleep in the curve at 5'11" I have room to stretch out.

Tags
scamp