Wall coloring on Scamps and Casitas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #1

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2019 Nissan PathFinder
Alabama
Registry
Wall coloring on Scamps and Casitas

Looking at used Scamps and Casitas for sale, I sometimes see the owners have done something to change the color of the wall covering (the carpet/rat fur, whatever it is called) and I've been wondering- - - Is there a way, other than removing it and replacing it, to change the color back to a neutral?

Thanks,
Tonie
TWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
Looking at used Scamps and Casitas for sale, I sometimes see the owners have done something to change the color of the wall covering (the carpet/rat fur, whatever it is called) and I've been wondering- - - Is there a way, other than removing it and replacing it, to change the color back to a neutral?

Thanks,
Tonie
If it's Ensolite you can paint it. Carpet and Rat Fur would need to be removed. Although somewhere, someplace someone posted using a carpet dye and no, I don't know how successful it was.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Very early Casitas had dark blue carpet on the walls. I'm not sure when the change was made, but since then all have had beige carpet. It would not be easy to alter the carpet color.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Very early Casitas had dark blue carpet on the walls. I'm not sure when the change was made, but since then all have had beige carpet. It would not be easy to alter the carpet color.
I've seen older (early 1980s) Casitas with orange shag or light blue shag carpet. Anyone have a shag rake?

I've seen older Scamps with light blue rat fur too.

I suppose it's like any kind of decorating, times change.

What color is on the walls wouldn't be a big factor in my decision making. There's so little of it and it's fairly easy to change the focus with other fabrics, like curtains, rugs, throw pillows and bed spreads. For me, it's more about the layout in the trailer. YMMV
Old 11-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
I've actually seen two colors on older Casitas- the blue you describe and a dark orangey-brown. Both are a sculpted, variegated carpet style that was popular in the 70's/80's. Not much you can do: learn to love it or gut the interior and change it. Neither option appeals to me, so there won't be a vintage Casita in my future!

I agree that changing the color of carpet or headliner is not a reasonable option.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Up until a few years back Scamp offered two colors of ratfur. One was a light gray color the other was a real light tan. Unless you saw the two colors side by side you really did not notice a difference.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are paints made for spraying auto carpets. But you would want to try it on a sample piece of carpet scrap from an old carpet or possibly if there is material inside of a cabinet where it won't show. Paint can change the texture of materials so it is not just a matter of changing the color as the texture might also change.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
If I had ensolite and wanted to change it or freshen it, and I had the money and time, I'd clean it, prime it with No-Odor Kilz, and roll it (using the recommended roller sold by the same company) with Durabak. I'd probably buy two quarts and mix my own color, but the white is bright and clean...it's major durable and can easily be self-patched if necessary...and is rubbery but hard. I would use the smooth variety. You can buy it online. It IS pricey. But a lovely product.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've seen older (early 1980s) Casitas with orange shag or light blue shag carpet. Anyone have a shag rake?

I've seen older Scamps with light blue rat fur too.

I suppose it's like any kind of decorating, times change.

What color is on the walls wouldn't be a big factor in my decision making. There's so little of it and it's fairly easy to change the focus with other fabrics, like curtains, rugs, throw pillows and bed spreads. For me, it's more about the layout in the trailer. YMMV
Thank you, Donna. The layout is, of course, the first priority. . . but some of the walls have been so "imaginatively" re-done, that I had to ask. . .

Tonie
Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #10

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
There are paints made for spraying auto carpets. But you would want to try it on a sample piece of carpet scrap from an old carpet or possibly if there is material inside of a cabinet where it won't show. Paint can change the texture of materials so it is not just a matter of changing the color as the texture might also change.
Thanks, KC. Yes, I'd wondered about the texture being changed. . . no one wants to lean up against "prickly" wall coverings. . .

Tonie
Old 11-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #11

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
If I had ensolite and wanted to change it or freshen it, and I had the money and time, I'd clean it, prime it with No-Odor Kilz, and roll it (using the recommended roller sold by the same company) with Durabak. I'd probably buy two quarts and mix my own color, but the white is bright and clean...it's major durable and can easily be self-patched if necessary...and is rubbery but hard. I would use the smooth variety. You can buy it online. It IS pricey. But a lovely product.
Kai, I've never heard of Durabak, but I will certainly investigate it! Thanks for sharing this!
Tonie
Old 11-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #12

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I've actually seen two colors on older Casitas- the blue you describe and a dark orangey-brown. Both are a sculpted, variegated carpet style that was popular in the 70's/80's. Not much you can do: learn to love it or gut the interior and change it. Neither option appeals to me, so there won't be a vintage Casita in my future!

I agree that changing the color of carpet or headliner is not a reasonable option.
I have a 1985 Casita 13' and it has the mottled orangey-brown. Love my tiny camper but would really love something more neutral on the walls. I want to paint the cupboards but everything would clash with the walls. So not sure what to do myself.
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
I wanted a vintage look for our 2010 Casita so I covered the walls with 3mm thick baltic birch plywood over the carpet. I coated both sides of the plywood with polyurethane and fitted it between the upper and lower fiberglass. It has improved the thermal insolation and sound deadening. It is easy to keep clean and is light in color. I also covered the carpet on the ceiling with 1/8 inch white hard board with the same benefits and it helped quiet down the air conditioner. Maybe not for everyone but just another idea.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wall coloring on Scamps and Casitas

How clever! Seems possible on the 17' because of the wraparound cabinets. I am curious how you managed the trolley roof. Care to share pictures?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
I wanted a vintage look for our 2010 Casita so I covered the walls with 3mm thick baltic birch plywood over the carpet. I coated both sides of the plywood with polyurethane and fitted it between the upper and lower fiberglass. It has improved the thermal insolation and sound deadening. It is easy to keep clean and is light in color. I also covered the carpet on the ceiling with 1/8 inch white hard board with the same benefits and it helped quiet down the air conditioner. Maybe not for everyone but just another idea.
Pictures? Pics may help others... I can't even imagine what you went through on those compound curves... pics of how it looks like finished will help me
Old 11-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #16

Alabama
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
That really sounds intriguing! I would love to see photos of it! :-)

Thanks for sharing this!
Tonie Welch
Old 11-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Pictures of wall and ceiling covering.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1827.jpg   IMG_1825.jpg  

Old 11-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Everybody loves pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1877.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Here is one without the cushions so you can see that the walls are made up of 7 pieces joined together with clear "H" channel. The black and white wire in the pic is cable from my solar panels on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1879.jpg  
Old 11-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
Commercial Member

5 of the panels are rectangles so they were easy. The 2 in the corners were a little more challenging but remember the material is only 1/8 inch thick so it can be bent and cut with a razor knife. Not easy but do able.

Tags
casita, scamp