Trying to decide between a Scamp and a Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #21

Name: Phyllis
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
I saw that one- I need an air conditioner
I've almost given up on trying to find something I can tow.
Thanks

New vehicle not in the cards now.
The only thing I have found so far is a Runaway camper. Small box with air
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:34 PM   #22

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Lightweight campers....

I had my Compact Jr weighed when I bought it a few years ago and it was just over 1,100 pounds.

Since all Compact's are over 40 years old I imagine they never had AC as an option. But where there's a will there's a way, to add it that is.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #23

New Jersey
I'll keep looking for something. I mostly want to do dog events in tri state area on weekends but will stick to motels for the time being
Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I'm also new to all of this and have been looking at used Scamps and Casistas. My biggest issue is weight since my RAV4 can only tow 1500 lbs. I can go pretty bare bones except I have to have air cond. I know i can't go over 13 ft but would be interested in any other really light trailers. Facebook forums say its doable, I'm not sure. what do you guys think?
Thanks
Phyllis
Phyllis,

1,500 lbs tow limit is severely limiting.

Ponderosa Little Joe by Weiscraft is a near-miss at 1,480 lbs and 12'6". However, anything you add (such as your gear) would take it over the weight limit.

There are a number of teardrop trailers that have AC as an option. Some could meet the 1,500 lb limit if the loading is carefully monitored. However, there are also total weight limits (gross vehicle weight rating, GVWR) that may place a further limitation on your ability to carry passengers, pooches and gear in the vehicle.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lightweight Alternatives

I agree with Donna's suggestion. A Compact Jr. is one of the lightest molded fiberglass options and the lower profile would make it an easier tow. There are a number of ways to add AC.

If you don't want to deal with a vintage trailer, a super light alternative is a Livin Lite tent trailer. I did look into these before landing our Scamp. My impression is that the all-aluminum frame and box are very nice, but they skimped on the tent material. They do offer AC as an option.
https://www.livinlite.com/products/tent-campers.html

Meerkat is a lightweight, hard-side, low-profile option. I can't tell whether AC is an option or not.
Meerkat Teardrop Camper - Small Camping Trailer Dealer in California | Little Guy Trailers

Neither of these is molded fiberglass and you could buy several Compact Jrs for the price of either.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #26

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Phyllis,

1,500 lbs tow limit is severely limiting.

Ponderosa Little Joe by Weiscraft is a near-miss at 1,480 lbs and 12'6". However, anything you add (such as your gear) would take it over the weight limit.

There are a number of teardrop trailers that have AC as an option. Some could meet the 1,500 lb limit if the loading is carefully monitored. However, there are also total weight limits (gross vehicle weight rating, GVWR) that may place a further limitation on your ability to carry passengers, pooches and gear in the vehicle.
I know - I've seen a lot of teardrop hand made kits that are pretty light but not to sure about that kinda thing. I know I can pull a Runaway camper but it's tiny any you just slide in to sleep but comes with air. It might be ok for just weekend trips to field where go but that's about it.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
I had my Compact Jr weighed when I bought it a few years ago and it was just over 1,100 pounds.

Since all Compact's are over 40 years old I imagine they never had AC as an option. But where there's a will there's a way, to add it that is.
Its a Hunter , but close....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0035.JPG   DSCF0056.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #28

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Its a Hunter , but close....
Cute ! 4 sale?
Old 11-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #29

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
I'm also new to all of this and have been looking at used Scamps and Casistas. My biggest issue is weight since my RAV4 can only tow 1500 lbs. I can go pretty bare bones except I have to have air cond. I know i can't go over 13 ft but would be interested in any other really light trailers. Facebook forums say its doable, I'm not sure. what do you guys think?
Thanks
Phyllis
If you have to have A/C then make sure to get a trailer set up for it. Some trailers don't have the support needed for such a heavy item. Trailer roofs have been known to sink in because of the weight.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Cute ! 4 sale?
Sold years ago, I'm left with only the pictures and the memories
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Cute ! 4 sale?
Have you seen this site?

Other Molded Fiberglass Trailers - US | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

You can select different brands from the "Fiberglass RVs for sale - US" pull-down menu at the top left near the "Home" tab. The above link is to the "Other" brand listings.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:05 AM   #32

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Once you decide on a new trailer to purchase I suggest that you start a new thread on this forum and ask for recommendations for options. One option I had never heard of prior to purchasing our 2011 new 13' Scamp was to "opt out" of the decals. We must store our trailer outdoors 100% of the time and the rock guard decal is now aging/cracking. I really don't like the idea of boldly "advertising" and would, now, choose not to have the decals.

I'm sure you will get lots of other opinions, no matter which trailer you choose.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #33

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Once you decide on a new trailer to purchase I suggest that you start a new thread on this forum and ask for recommendations for options. One option I had never heard of prior to purchasing our 2011 new 13' Scamp was to "opt out" of the decals. We must store our trailer outdoors 100% of the time and the rock guard decal is now aging/cracking. I really don't like the idea of boldly "advertising" and would, now, choose not to have the decals.

I'm sure you will get lots of other opinions, no matter which trailer you choose.
The one reason to not put on decals is so they don't go bad. This is called a naked trailer. But the manufacturer may charge you a substantial fee for that. They like the advertising as you travel. They may not tell you about the fee if you don't ask when ordering the trailer. I've heard them say this when in the showroom.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #34

Name: P
Washington
You might get an idea off this forum also.

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • Index page
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #35

Name: Charles E
Trailer: Looking for a Casita
Texas
Thanks to all who have weighed in on this. Still looking for the Scamp 16'
charleserwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp