Fiberglass Trailer Scams - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Fiberglass Trailer Scams

1990 Scamp 13 $2800 in Amarillo, Craigslist Houston

Here's the link. It really looks nice!

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/188313150.html

Moderator's note: this ad has been removed from craigs list.
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler Honey
Ruth,

Im so glad you posted this. Recently, I saw this same scamp list on craigslist in San Diego. I even asked about whether it was a scam on this forum. The seller listed the location of the scamp as Redding, CA, but posted it in San Diego. Similar to listing in Amarillo but posting in Houston. When I said I could easily see it as I live near Redding, he told me he had the trailer in San Diego. Listed it at the same price. I'm posting a couple of pics here. One is the same he posted on Houston craigslist. The other is another one he sent me in an email.

It looks great and the price is good. I guess too good to be true. Im surely glad you posted it here. Maybe we can save someone some trouble.
Attached Images

lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Scam ITEM REMOVED - Ebay Item #170014092339, Those are photos of my trailer!

Photos and descriptions of our Scamp have been pirated from our for sale ad and are now appearing on EBay. Please beware! IF they have a trailer to sell, it is not the one in the photos.

I'm glad they liked the Scamp and the photos, but would have rather not attracted their attention.
Dianne Sundling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
A search for item #170014092339 yielded zero as of 7:39 pst.
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Yes, EBay completely removed the ad from their system last night.
The internet is certainly an interesting place, lots of information available to be used by anyone, sometimes for the wrong reason. Usually everyone plays by the rules, however.
Dianne Sundling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Quote:
Yes, EBay completely removed the ad from their system last night.
The internet is certainly an interesting place, lots of information available to be used by anyone, sometimes for the wrong reason. Usually everyone plays by the rules, however.

Hi Dianne,
See my message on the other thread

David G.
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
A search for item #170014092339 yielded zero as of 7:39 pst.
Sorry but another one using the exact pictures is back on ebay. 170014271781
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #8

Now this trailer is for sale in Portland. Wow....San Diego, Amarillo, and Portland. It really moves around, even for a travel trailer.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/190355744.html
Old 08-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Linda, Did you report it?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #10

Mary,
I "flagged" it as "prohibited." I am not sure how else to report it on craigslist. If you know of another way to report it, let me know. I noticed the one in San Diego disappeared soon after it was flagged. I am hoping this one will as well, although it is still there.
Thanks for the reminder though. I hope others will flag it too.
I have wondered if I may someday see this trailer legitimately for sale. I noticed this one is listed in Portland but supposedly iit s in Medford. There is no ad in the Medford Craigslist.

funny....the thing that makes me remember this one is the sunflowers. The first time I saw this ad I wondered if the flowers were there to hide something. Now I realize someone may have just wanted to dress up their trailer and got their pictures pirated!
Old 08-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I flagged it too. That's the fastest way to get it removed. It could also be reported to abuse@craigslist.org.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 72 Boler American
This scam thing may explain the 16 foot Scamp that I saw for sale a couple of weeks ago on Ebay. It was a newer trailer with lots of amenities. I think it had a "Buy it now" price of $2900 which included free delivery if you chose that option. The listing was out there one day and completely gone the next. When I tried to go to the item number the second day, it had completely vanished. Do you think that may have been a scam that Ebay removed from the website?
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Yep, there has been a rash of them.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
This scam thing may explain the 16 foot Scamp that I saw for sale a couple of weeks ago on Ebay. It was a newer trailer with lots of amenities. I think it had a "Buy it now" price of $2900 which included free delivery if you chose that option. The listing was out there one day and completely gone the next. When I tried to go to the item number the second day, it had completely vanished. Do you think that may have been a scam that Ebay removed from the website?

There is two trailer scams that keep showing up on eBay. There's one right now. They're probably by the same person. I found out a bit more about how the scam works. They a phony, stolen ad on eBay. Ask that all bidders contact them directly. When the bidding is done or the ad is removed an email is sent to each bidder indicating that they can buy for their last bid. A spoofed pay service is used and they collect your money, never to be seen again. Trailers aren't the only thing this is happening to, high end computers are getting in the action too.

Bottom line. If it looks too good to be true it probably is.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 72 Boler American
Not sure if it will be here very long, but this one looks a little fishy. Same one I saw 2 weeks ago.
Scamp on Ebay
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Burro
Quote:
Not sure if it will be here very long, but this one looks a little fishy. Same one I saw 2 weeks ago.
Scamp on Ebay

Hi Dave,
Yup these are the very same pictures that have been used for several postings at the $2900 BINprice over the last month or so. Sure hope somebody catches this guy!
David G.
David G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
boy how many times they goiny to try to sell that same trailer this is # 4 i beleave
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Under the questions a guy asks if it has a bathroom. And the seller? answer is:
Please don't use ASK SELLER A QUESTION eBay link , if you have any questions contact me directly at crousos@earthlink.net . Yes has a bathroom door .

The pictures show a portapotty, how can it have a bathroom door? I wonder when ebay will pull this one?
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
This isn't exactly on topic but it does fill out some of the scam signs:

I'm looking for a 4x4 ATV to help haul wood around some acreage we have. I found one in "Drain" Oregon, a very small burg that we've been through a couple of times in our travels. It would have been a cinch to run up I-5 to pick it up. (The warning signs are boldfaced.) The price was really low. Sometimes there's a good reason for this, maybe a repair that the seller didn't want to deal with. In this case, the ATV was presented as near perfect. The seller had zero feedback. When I went to look over his profile there was a small notation that stated that the seller was registered in another country , something that simply doesn't make sense for an item in a backcountry burg like Drain. The seller required that all bidders be pre-approved. This last isn't an unreasonable request, especially if you have little or no feedback yourself. But when you are obviously a serious buyer, have good feedback, and the seller won't reply to your question, well it's clear that the "approval" was intended to weed out all but the dummies. The auction ended with zero bidders and hopefully no one tried to buy it behind the scenes.

Another one listed a Kawasaki for an excellent price. After a couple of inquiries, I learned that the ATV was in Great Britian but the seller had a cousin in the airline industry who could get it shipped anywhere in the world for free. ... Right ...

The above are the easy ones. The really insidious scams are the ones where somebody has hijacked a legitimate account with lots of good feedback and happy customers. Then, all you can do is apply a liberal dose of common sense and detective work to be sure it's on the up and up. And, as has been mentioned before, if the seller won't take cash on delivery, don't bid.
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Does this auction sound like a scam? Item #280014558860

Bidders id are hidden, free shipping. Looks like a fake to me.
Peggys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp