New Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2012 Casita LD17
California
New Casita

I'm getting ready to order a new Casita 17 footer and I have a couple of questions. I've pretty much decided on all the important stuff but there's a couple of things I'm curious about.

I looked at an almost identical model to what I want to buy on Casita's referral plan today and I was impressed. The owners have had it five years, been all over the country in it and really liked it.

My only previous experience with small trailers was an 18 foot stick trailer and that was over twenty years ago. It leaked. Everywhere. I didn't have much time to worry about the leaks though. I was too busy trying to make all the appliances work...which they never did.

Captain's chairs or not? The captains's chairs look comfortable but do you give up a lot of storage space to get them? I'll be solo most of the time and I'll be boondocking a lot at work too, sometimes for a week or more at a time.

Refrigerator fan? What exactly does it do and is it a worthwhile option?

Is the tile flooring worth the cost? Where I'll usually be boondocking is mostly dirt and rocks and mud in the winter and I wondered if the carpet would be a dirt magnet.

Awning? It's spendy but if it's worth it I'll add it to the list. If it gets rained on will it mold if it's retracted when wet? Does it shed water in the rain? Will moderately high winds bother it?

Any other tips or tricks or just general advice? I'll take all of that I can get.

I'll be ordering next Monday and any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Bob
clearcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Any hard-surface floor is preferable to carpet. It's amazing how much dirt gets tracked into a trailer, and the space wherein it drops off the shoes is a small one, so the dirt is concentrated. A quick sweep is easy when you notice the dirt, but a quick vacuum at your campsite? Not so convenient.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You need to give both models the "sit test", we did and chose the Spirit.

We are on our second Spirit, it works for us.

You can sweep a vinyl floor with a broom, not so a carpet.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Tile, Spirit model (nothing comfortable about the captains chairs! I own a Freedom DLX and I wish I would have waited for a Spirit. Plus storage is always a plus).

Good Luck with your purchase!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have the FD and like the captaiñs chairs. We have been out for 4 to 8 weeks and do not miss the storage. We do put stuff under the seats, it is just not enclosed.

We have carpeting and find that it is acceptable. We carry a small vacuum for cleaning. We were concerned about damage to the hard floor and in 2008 it was not warranteed.

We love the Casita and you will too.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
We have ordered and are scheduled to pick up July 10th, the 17 ft SD model, we opted for all the storage we could get as we are planning winter extended trips. We also ordered the vinyl flooring and awning along with furnace, electric tongue jack, outside shower. We ordered everything we could get but built in microwave and wdh. We even ordered a custom mattress from southern mattress to leave back dinette as a bed all the time. Will give you full report after we pick up and return from Texas. 27 days and counting!
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Refrigerator fan? There's a unit that sells for about $12, runs on two "D" cells for a month, and is essential for keeping things unfrozen inside. I'm not sure what Casita sells.

My Casita has an awning and I've never used it and probably never will. Out here where I camp, wind is a problem. I've talked to too many people who had their awnings ripped off.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would never buy a awning.(wind is a problem)
Awning biggest claims at Ins. company.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #9

California
Thanks everybody! You've given me some things to think about.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M K View Post
We have ordered and are scheduled to pick up July 10th, the 17 ft SD model, we opted for all the storage we could get as we are planning winter extended trips. We also ordered the vinyl flooring and awning along with furnace, electric tongue jack, outside shower. We ordered everything we could get but built in microwave and wdh. We even ordered a custom mattress from southern mattress to leave back dinette as a bed all the time. Will give you full report after we pick up and return from Texas. 27 days and counting!
Please do. It might give me some idea of what to expect when we head down there.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go look at the Escape Website they are selling a 2010 17' Plan B for $18,700. It is worth checking out both trailers before ordering.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #12

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We have the Freedom and love the captains chairs (and the trailer!). It's a comfortable place to hang out and like Dave we put things under the chairs that probably wouldn't fit in the small storage under the spirit seats. We also like the awning - gives you an 'outdoor room'. We sealed the space between the awning and the trailer so it stays dry in the rain, you do have to be mindful of the wind. You might want to check out The Casita Club - Casita Travel Trailer Website and Forums
and also Casita Travel Trailer Forum We picked ours up in Texas in 2005 and have been having a blast with it ever since. We've met and made many friend and lots of great memories! Good luck.

Happy trails,

Dave & Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We have the SD - love the side dinette. We leave the bed set-up in the back permanently. Factory refrigerator fan is worthless. We have the awning and love it. Did leave it extended in the rain and had to roll up, ended up with a funky mildewy smell, but washing it off solved that. We don't have a problem with the awning when we use attach it to the brackets on the side of the trailer. We also have the vinyl flooring - definitely worth it. Our Scamp had carpeting and it was a pain to keep clean because we mostly stay at rustic campgrounds and end up tracking in dirt, sand, leaves, etc.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Arizona
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Bob and Julie Send a message via MSN to Bob and Julie Send a message via Yahoo to Bob and Julie
We have the SD and really like the configuration. Lots of storage under the side dinette seats and also allows for the outside shower. If you are going to doing lots of boon docking, I would definitely order the vinyl flooring. Buying a new Casita is a bit like buying a new car. If you are concerned about the upgrade for the vinyl, they may add it at no cost if you can deal with them! Good luck.

Bob and Julie
Bob and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Carpeting, etc

We removed the carpet in our Trillium because the fiberglass floor underneath was getting all scratched up. Placed floor tiles instead.

We don't have an awning and never really felt the need for one. We sit in the shade of the trailer on sunny days and do things inside on rainy ones, like play cribbage, watch dvds, etc.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
"Factory refrigerator fan": is this a fan inside the fridge, or outside of (somewhere behind) the fridge?

The latter type of fan seems to have more proponents who say the extra air movement helps the system cool better. To me, a fan inside the fridge doesn't seem like it would make much difference.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #17

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
"Factory refrigerator fan": is this a fan inside the fridge, or outside of (somewhere behind) the fridge?

The latter type of fan seems to have more proponents who say the extra air movement helps the system cool better. To me, a fan inside the fridge doesn't seem like it would make much difference.
Mike, I've used both kinds & each works very well for its purpose. The exterior fan passes air over the cooling coils, which aids in removing heat that the 'coolant' builds up. The little internal fans circulate the air inside the fridge thus avoiding 'pooling' of cold air in lower areas or where several items are otherwise blocking circulation. When I didn't have the interior fan I've had eggs/lettuce and such actually freeze on bottom of my fridge while milk on the upper shelf next to the tiny freezer was just barely cold enough to keep from spoiling. The little fan keeps air circulating enough that a pretty even temp is maintained throughout the fridge. My little 'FridgeMate' battery operated finally 'gave up the ghost' so I guess I'll hafta look for a new one.

I have considerable experience with 2 older Dometic 3-way fridges, a 211 in my '85 Scamp & an RM2200A in my '87 Skamper pop-up truck camper. Except for the model #'s they appear identical inside & the 'operating mechanism' from the rear. I always use either 110vAC or propane to 'cool' the fridge before departing on a trip, & the 12vDC while underway. The P/U camper is hauled on a Ford F-250 Diesel P/U that has 2 batteries & a huge capacity alternator so I've never had any problem with 12v operation. I've not used the Scamp yet for any extended trip but my Toyota Tacoma TV is wired so that it charges the trailer battery while underway, & on short trips to the lake or deer camp I've not noticed any undue loss of battery power...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #18

California
Well, I did it. I sent my deposit and I'll be picking up my Casita on the 19th of July.

I'm not looking forward to a trip from California to Texas and back in July but I'll sure know if the A/C and refrigerator work by the time I get home again.

Thanks to everybody for all the good advice.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
Well, I did it. I sent my deposit and I'll be picking up my Casita on the 19th of July.

I'm not looking forward to a trip from California to Texas and back in July but I'll sure know if the A/C and refrigerator work by the time I get home again.

Thanks to everybody for all the good advice.

Congrats!!!!! Oh yeah you will certainly be using the A/C . Enjoy the journey!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
New trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcut View Post
I'm getting ready to order a new Casita 17 footer and I have a couple of questions. I've pretty much decided on all the important stuff but there's a couple of things I'm curious about.

I looked at an almost identical model to what I want to buy on Casita's referral plan today and I was impressed. The owners have had it five years, been all over the country in it and really liked it.

My only previous experience with small trailers was an 18 foot stick trailer and that was over twenty years ago. It leaked. Everywhere. I didn't have much time to worry about the leaks though. I was too busy trying to make all the appliances work...which they never did.

Captain's chairs or not? The captains's chairs look comfortable but do you give up a lot of storage space to get them? I'll be solo most of the time and I'll be boondocking a lot at work too, sometimes for a week or more at a time.

Refrigerator fan? What exactly does it do and is it a worthwhile option?

Is the tile flooring worth the cost? Where I'll usually be boondocking is mostly dirt and rocks and mud in the winter and I wondered if the carpet would be a dirt magnet.

Awning? It's spendy but if it's worth it I'll add it to the list. If it gets rained on will it mold if it's retracted when wet? Does it shed water in the rain? Will moderately high winds bother it?

Any other tips or tricks or just general advice? I'll take all of that I can get.

I'll be ordering next Monday and any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Bob
Have you looked at a Escape 17ft?
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita