Your battery recommendations? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Your battery recommendations?

I'm with those who recommend a group 29 deep cycle. Deka, Trojan and Interstate have the best industry rep.

Remember though that your charge controller has a lot to do with it as well. Many of the chargers in fiberglass trailers don't have sufficient charge voltage for high end batteries and/or they don't have desulfation capabilities.

Even a cheap battery lasts much longer with a quality charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The Walmart Ever Start MAXX with the 2 year full replacement warranty (about $97) is a maintenance-free battery and dispite the label is not a true deep cell battery. The battery (also ever start) that has the one year battery replacement warranty and cells that you can add fluid to is the deep cell battery (about $87 or less depending on size)......confused yet ????

I was told the sealed maintenance-free so called deep cell battery was made for marine electric trolling motors and not a good idea in an RV application. The choice is yours.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
EDIT 4:15PM : Just spoke with EverStart 1-888-387-8278. They said your statement was not true regardless where it came from. Both batteries are used for both marine and RV. And the Maxx-24DC IS a "deep cycle" battery and carries a 2yr Warranty because it is the better battery. Here's a rating not posted on the battery: The MAXX has an RRC 85 vs RRC 65 (Repetitive Reserve Capacity) on the 24DC. My choice is to stick with the MAXX. Confused?

You were "told" this... I'm not doubting what you say...but would just like to know the source. If it's a "review" online somewhere, I'd like to read it.

On the OTHER hand, no more than I "boondock", I could use a motorcycle battery". Mine is used mostly for when I go to my Scamp for some reason and just flip a light on to see. But I'd rather go back with what I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
The Walmart Ever Start MAXX with the 2 year full replacement warranty (about $97) is a maintenance-free battery and dispite the label is not a true deep cell battery. The battery (also ever start) that has the one year battery replacement warranty and cells that you can add fluid to is the deep cell battery (about $87 or less depending on size)......confused yet ????

I was told the sealed maintenance-free so called deep cell battery was made for marine electric trolling motors and not a good idea in an RV application. The choice is yours.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #24

North Carolina
YDarryl T. About three months ago I did a lot of on line research when my RV battery died and would not take a charge. Exactly where any of the information I learned came from I can not remember right now. If you google RV deep cycle batteries and/or AGM deep cycle batteries you will discover a lot of interesting websites with perhaps more information than you will ever need. Prior to that on line research I did not even know AGM Batteries even existed, let alone what they were! If you do this you also will discover a lot of information on the different types of battery chargers and "maintainers" (again perhaps more info than you need).

The one thing I did learn is that going from a group 24 deep cycle battery to a group 27 or a group 29 battery is indeed a good thing if you like to RV Boondock Style.
Somewhere along the line I discovered that maintenance free deep cycle are made for marine use and not the best choice for RV applications....better to add distilled water to the old standard deep cycle types when they need it. If you do your own search there is no end to what you will discover. If you only camp at campgrounds with electric and water hook-ups then just buy the cheapest group 24 deep cycle battery Walmart sells and you will be good to go! Good luck and happy camping!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #25

Uplander... you made mention and I think this has been mentioned in earlier posts as well, but "Maintainer/chargers" are one of the keys for longevity if ANY 12v battery goes without usage in my opinion. Earlier this year, I purchased a Battery Minder. This week, I got in my order with 3 Battery Tender JR's. I got a good deal on them from Amazon. $23 ea delivered to my door. Our Wally World sells them for $34.95 + tax ea right now! I have a vehicle that's driven very little... a riding mower not driven at all in the winter, and a 12v SLA for my model plane tool box....and of course the Scamp They'll be used.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #26

North Carolina
True the two most important factors in deep cycle battery life are...maintaining proper fluid levels (check monthly).... And keeping the battery at full charge by using the right charger/maintainer....the "smart charging" systems found in better designed travel trailers do a fantastic job...they sense the need to recharge then drop back the charge current once the battery is at full charge and maintain the charge level as required....a lot more to it than most folks realize. For winter storage Walmart sells the type of "smart chargers" that do the job right....beware some battery chargers can destroy deep cycle batteries by over-charging.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #27

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Me, I prefer the Walmart 3 year full replacement warranty. If it go bad, I just take it in to the nearest Walmart along with the receipt and get a new one. For the remaining out years 4 and 5, they prorate the exchange.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #28

Do you buy the extended warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Me, I prefer the Walmart 3 year full replacement warranty. If it go bad, I just take it in to the nearest Walmart along with the receipt and get a new one. For the remaining out years 4 and 5, they prorate the exchange.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #29

I do nor purchase extended warranty because it comes with the iron clad warranty.
car battery prices - Walmart.com
Old 07-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #30

North Carolina
I purchased a deep cycle 12 volt battery from Walmart at Saratoga Springs, New York a few months ago.....they only sell two types of deep cycle batteries...the maintenances-free marine Deep cycle (two year free replacement warranty) and the standard deep cycle 12 volt battery that you must monitor the fluid level and maintain the level with distilled water (one year free replacement warranty).
None of the deep cycle batteries had any pro-rated long term warranty, nor were any extended warranties offered.....therefore the question....Darwin Maring, Exactly what 12 volt battery did you buy at Walmart??? I must assume it was not a deep cycle battery and perhaps a standard 12 volt automobile battery??????
Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #31

It appears that the Group 24 MAXX EVerstart I'm looking at is 2 yr warranty. From what I saw on the link, only the LARGER batteries have the longer 3 yr and up warranty. Too large for me though.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #32

Uplander. I did not purchase a deap cycle.

Tags
battery, eco