What is involved in raising our lil Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
What is involved in raising our lil Bigfoot?

Hello. We just purchased a lll Bigfoot and are wondering if it is necessary to raise it up? We are doing a big road trip with it, ending up at the tip of Baja Mexico. Has anyone done this and do you have any tips? Not sure where to start, thanks so much in advance!
Julgarneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lil Bigfoot has a rubber torsion axle. The answer depends partly on whether the axle is welded or bolted.

The original axle is welded, so it would have to be cut off and a new axle installed with a greater down angle in the axle arms. The Lil Bigfoot has an unusual angled frame design, so some frame modification will be needed to mount a new axle. Cost $$$

If it's a bolted-on replacement axle, you could probably modify the axle mounting bracket to raise the trailer. That will not raise the axle tube, though, only the coach. Cost $-$$

Either way, some custom welding and fabrication on the frame is required. There is no simple bolt-on solution.

As to necessary, I've never been to the Baja peninsula, but I have taken our Scamp, which is probably even lower than your Lil Bigfoot, on some rough back roads a couple of times. With careful driving, nothing bad happened. The trick is taking dips and humps at an angle. The most vulnerable spot is the tongue jack, and you can replace that with a swing-away jack on the side or this adjustable jack: Ultimate Jack
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:27 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thank you again very much Jon!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:56 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Larger wheels and tires will also raise the trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

British Columbia
Hello Jack, thank you for your idea. I wonder if it would accommodate bigger wheels? That sure would be simpler. I will take a photo and post it to see what people think. I see you have a bigfoot although is it a 17 inch? is yours raised? i wonder if ours needs to be...thanks again. any input is very much appreciated
Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #6

Name: Adam
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hi Julie, I came across your post from last year...how did you make out with raising your Lil' Bigfoot?...I have one and am looking to do the same, replace axle and give it a couple extra inches, if at all possible.
AdamB71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot