Rear 2" hitch receptacle on Bigfoot 2500 trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: Bigfoot 24B175CB
Michigan
Rear 2" hitch receptacle on Bigfoot 2500 trailer

Has anyone installed a 2" hitch receptacle at the rear of a 2500 BF trailer to accomodate either a storage rack or bike rack? If so what is the maximum weight that it can safely handle?

Thanks,
Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Think about a various scales and the effect of sliding weights further from the fulcrum. I am not an engineer, but it makes me think about minimizing the weight back there. It will also affect your hitch, handling and tongue weight at the front, and your axle.
The trailer frame and how you attach would make a big difference. Who would know more about that than the manufacturer?
You need facts, not opinions. My opinion is that several bicycles would not overload it. A cargo box full of souvenir rocks might. A box containing your mother-in-law? ...Depends.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have built several rear receivers for bike racks, but none on a Bigfoot. Mine all extend under the trailer and attach at 4 points on the frame. Where necessary I have reinforced the frame. Be sure to use a bike rack that is rated for use on the rear of a RV. I prefer one where the bike wheels set in loops or on a tray type support. The hanging type have more leverage stress on the receiver. I would put a limit of 2 bikes on the rear. Do not block the tail lights. For a good example of how a rear receiver should be built, look at the one Orbital Machine Works makes for Casitas. Also consider a tongue mount bike rack. Arvika is a nice one, and some other brand is available from etrailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
Hi Ken. Go to the BOCI (Bigfoot Owners Club International) forum. They are discussing that same topic on one of their threads. I think you can go on as a guest. There are even a few pics with the set up you are talking about. Safe travels!! Roy
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
Ken:
I had a 2005 17.5 rear bath, I had a hitch made but wound up not using it as the trailer needed more tongue weight to tow correctly and not sway, we had to be careful not to have full water tank as it was parallel and just next to the rear wall. I dont know how much tongue weight you have, but if your axle is in the same spot as ours was, about 30-40% of added weight on the rear would come off the tongue. Ours liked to porpoise(bounce on ball) if light on tongue weight. Also I have found that what Bigfoot reports as total weight isn't accurate ours weighed about 4400lbs loaded and that was max for the axle.

Tags
bigfoot