New Casita... Awning? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
Thanks

Thanks again for all of the input.
Great info on pulling with a pilot.
Mike Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #22

Name: Valerie
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Mississippi
Changed my mind on the awning -- again!

Our 17 ft. Spirit Deluxe is ordered and due on Sept. 7. We visited Rice and placed the order a while back and did not order the awning (although we did order most of the rest of the extras). Then we started waffling. After a demo of the ease of rolling out the awning last week in Glacier NP, even if only partway as a cover for the door entry, we decided to go ahead and add it on. Hopefully this will be the only change to our order! I think we'll end up with the awning extended about 4 feet as well as a Clam screen room to hang out in. We live in Mississippi and will likely travel a good bit in the southeast and the bugs are bad!

If the awning was cheaper one could just say "what the heck" and just add it on without thought. But since it's a pricey option you do feel like you need to determine if it's a need or not. I'm still halfway conflicted but I think we'll go ahead and order tomorrow. Good luck on your decision!
Valerie Rachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Can't help with the awning but we also have a 09 Pilot FWD pulling a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. According to the manual with 2 occupants it is rated at 4500lbs/450lbs...
Wondering if we are confusing our acronyms…I understood FWD as front wheel drive (as opposed to AWD, all wheel drive). Some people prefer 2WD and 4WD, which is what the 2009 Pilot owner's manual uses. But just to be clear, FWD (or 2WD) is rated 3500/350, while AWD (or 4WD) is rated 4500/450. Here's what the 2009 manual says, identical to my 2011:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009PilotTowing.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	97297

I believe the 4WD version has a larger transmission cooler, hence the higher rating. It should be adequate to pull a Casita 17D.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Yes, I did confuse that, sorry, some of the stuff I own is FWD, like my ATV, which stands for four wheel drive, but with SUV's it's AWD or FWD/front wheel drive. And in the north, Pilot 2WD/Front Wheel Drives are rare. My Bad.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #25

Name: Gary & Betty
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Thumbs up Get The Awning!

We have a previously loved 2013 17' SD. It has an awning and we love it. It is so easy to extend and retract. We normally keep it out about 3 to 4 feet to cover our little work table that we set up by the outside electrical plug. The support poles latch right to the side wall of the Casita.

If we're extending it all the way out, then there ground stakes (included) for the poles and tie-downs with stakes (that we purchased). If the weather looks bad, just roll it up.

While we were hunting for our Casita, an awning was a key factor. And the price to buy one and then have it installed after factory is FAR more than getting the factory installed one. Our vote is to bite-the-bullet on the cost of the addition and get the awning. We love ours and think you will also!!
HeBeGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #26

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Past Boler owner, looking at Escape
Alberta
I currently have an Escape 17B on order for next April, but I've had an Aliner (no awning) for 12 years. What am I most looking forward to with the Escape?
#3 - Shower
#2 - Not crawling on the floor to look in the fridge!
#1 - Awning!!!! Love to be outside, rain or shine.
Brenda in Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #27

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt View Post
I have used my awning and find that it is invaluable for shade and also for rain protection. I usually only extend it about 3 ft and use the body supports and that is all that is needed to shelter the opened screen door from rain. I only put it out all the way once in a while.
In that short mode, using the body supports, is it safe enough to leave open in rough weather?

So far I am impressed with the Fiamma awning our new-to-us Casita came with. Seems like an high-quality unit.

But we'll probably also get a screen house.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #28

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rachal View Post
Our 17 ft. Spirit Deluxe is ordered and due on Sept. 7. We visited Rice and placed the order a while back and did not order the awning (although we did order most of the rest of the extras). Then we started waffling. After a demo of the ease of rolling out the awning last week in Glacier NP, even if only partway as a cover for the door entry, we decided to go ahead and add it on. Hopefully this will be the only change to our order! I think we'll end up with the awning extended about 4 feet as well as a Clam screen room to hang out in. We live in Mississippi and will likely travel a good bit in the southeast and the bugs are bad!

If the awning was cheaper one could just say "what the heck" and just add it on without thought. But since it's a pricey option you do feel like you need to determine if it's a need or not. I'm still halfway conflicted but I think we'll go ahead and order tomorrow. Good luck on your decision!
Sounds like you'll have all bases covered. Some campers anchor their awning to the picnic table or to stakes with bungee cords.

There's no end to what one can spend in order to live like a homeless person....no?
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #29

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Short Mode

Hey Mr Lynn,
I've read on one of the forums that there have been incidents of the awning ripping the attachment hardware off the body. Not sure how far the awning was extended. The awning is a great option but caution is key whenever deploying it. Peace
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #30

Name: Steven
Trailer: '17 Casita SD
North Carolina
Question about Ezy Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
there's the cost of the factory awning and the possible damage to the trailer should a serious wind come along. the main reason i avoided the awning was adding that much weight to the already heavy side of the trailer up high. i have a bag awning from busdepot.com (it's designed for a vw camper van). less than 200 bucks or so and packs up very small (fits into a 6" plastic fence post mounted to the rear bumper). it is a bit of a chore to set up solo but, with 2 it's about like erecting a big tent.
Do you have the awning attached to the trailer? I looked at the website and figured that the suction cups would be the only method that might work, other than the standalone option. Do you find that the awning is secure with the guy ropes in most weather conditions? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Casita and debating on the awning option, myself. I once had an awning on a popup camper that was ripped clean off by a sudden burst of wind, so the option of a relatively cheap separate awning makes a lot of sense to me.
sy48497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #31

Name: Brent
California
Awning

Go with the factory awning,
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #32

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Go with the factory awning,
If awning then factory. BUT we prefer the CLAM standalone screen porch. The attached awning is good for sun, marginal for rain, no good for wind but quick and easy to deploy and retrack. (You could get both)
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
I had the same concerns about the factory Casita awning, the extra weight and wind drag type thoughts. But, the ease of use and the quality of the equipment really makes a difference. The problems with high winds apply to both a hanging tarp or something like it and a a deployed awning. The both will have problems but the awning can be rolled up in a moment. We have had ours for two years and enjoy the easy use. A little common sense with an eye towards the weather goes a long way. If it is raining and it is time to pack up you have a nice staging area and when it is time to go roll it up is quick and easy.

It's raining like the end of the world here in Lecanto Florida.

Steve
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #34

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
Do you have the awning attached to the trailer? I looked at the website and figured that the suction cups would be the only method that might work, other than the standalone option. Do you find that the awning is secure with the guy ropes in most weather conditions? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Casita and debating on the awning option, myself. I once had an awning on a popup camper that was ripped clean off by a sudden burst of wind, so the option of a relatively cheap separate awning makes a lot of sense to me.
i use the suction cups to attach to the casita. i also use guy cords over the top ends and stake them behind. and yes...it's secure in "most" weather situations. will a strong wind cause problems?...yes, just like any other awning. however, chance of damage to the trailer is practically none.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, casita