A couple of simple mods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
A couple of simple mods

I'm still having fun tailoring the ParkLiner to our needs and desires. The latest was quite simple and took only 2 hours to complete, most of which was planning before cutting the 3 holes
I put in a dedicated line ( with an in line 10 amp fuse) from my batteries to a switch, then a Vexilar D-130 digital battery status indicator, and on the same line a Blue Sea dual USB charger socket. I may upgrade the indicator but as I already had this one I thought I would start here, free is good! I ran everything through the switch to minimize the parasitic current draw from these 2 items. Wire routing internally took the most time and required sacrificing a wire coat hanger to fish the lines down the stack to behind the galley. From there it was a simple stuff, tuck, and zip tie to the battery. No exterior holes were necessary as I just repurposed the drain ports already there.
In the not too good pic the circular black dot below the 120 outlet is the USB charger.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Nice work Sid!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

looking good Sid.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #4

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Clever idea - making that a switched circuit.
I'm going to remember that trick! Thanks for sharing.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Nice Job Sid.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice work Sid. Its always nice to see a mod that has been well thought out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
Sid

Wisconsin
Thanks everyone.
I have now officially run out of ideas for future mods so I guess I just have to enjoy the darn thing. My problem is I love tinkering with it, perhaps I should pick up a restoration project somewhere.....
In any case, out of curiosity, what is your favorite modification that you have done?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
In any case, out of curiosity, what is your favorite modification that you have done?[/QUOTE]

I'll start this with something off the wall. My favorite mod was to my life. I finally found a mint trailer only 80 miles away instead of 1000
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Hands down my favorite mod was building a frame with supports moved to the ends for the front bunk in my Scamp. It allows use to leave the front buck set up for travel and unrestricted access to the lower bunk area which we use for storage. I need to add some 12V outlets to the Scamp and a battery monitor also, it is only time and money.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 AM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I am tempted to buy and install one of those Blue Sea dual USB charger socket's because I hate keep spending money on the kind that plug into a 12volt outlet and don't last. I have used other Blue Sea products on my boat in the past and they seem to hold up...and it isn't that expensive.

thanks

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
In any case, out of curiosity, what is your favorite modification that you have done?
Hummm hard to say which modification/addition I have done thats the hands down winner..... there are 4 I would do over and over on every trailer I owned if they didn't already have them.

Adding the adjustable wire shelves to inside cabinets is one that has probable given me the biggest bang for the buck daily. Adding a Fantastic Fan ranks up there as well & is well used every trip - hot or cold outside. But if I was to do it again I would get one with the auto rain closing or a Maxxi Fan. Adding the Maxxi Window vent that allows the rear side windows to stay open in the rain or in hot weather when away from the trailer (no one can crawl through the window even though its open) and the solar power which lets me camp pretty were anywhere without worrying about power are two big improvements that are used most trips as well.

The two I probable spent the most time fussing over and doing to get them just right were the outside 110 plug and a cable TV jack .... hardly use either. Actually in the last 60 days out camping I don't recall having used either of those once.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I really need to install a sound system that I can plug in my iPod or play pandora through.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #13

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

My favorite splurge mod, was installing a Xantrex battery monitor ( link to mod post is here ). It is one of those things eye take a look at daily, at this point, more for the fun of it to see how frugal we can be on battery bank use...it's a game we play.

I say "At this point", because i've done extensive testing of various systems in our PL#35 and i know how much each bulb, pump, and/or switch draws at a given time. After the first full day out i can do a probable projection as to how much draw down will we be at and jot it in my phone's notepad, then check to see how close i was on my guesstimate when we pull out of camp the final day.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Sid

Wisconsin
Ok I thought I was done accessorizing my egg but I came across a deal on a tank monitoring system I just couldn't pass up! Vic didn't mind as long a I placed it "out of the site lines" because she didn't want it to look like an airplane cockpit.
We agreed on placement around the left corner of the bathroom door. It's easy access from my side of the dinette. Funny, just like the bed the side you choose the first night remains yours for eternity!
Installation was a breese and took less than 2 hours to complete.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Changing sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Funny, just like the bed the side you choose the first night remains yours for eternity!
I had never thought about changing sides but I believe changing sides of the bed is a worthwhile variation, something worth trying.

Ginny and I have changed where we sleep in the trailer and at home. In the trailer I used to sleep on the inside and now the outside. Similarly we've changed sides of the queen bed at home.

On the rare occasion we go to a motel where there's no as usual reference I just hope in.

It's good to stump eternity once in a while.....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
I really need to install a sound system that I can plug in my iPod or play pandora through.
i've done that and am very glad i did. tunes enhance any camping experience.

i'm not sure which is my fav mod (usually the one most recently completed) but there's two couldn't live without... the 40 gallon grey tank and the screen door.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #17

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Hi Sid, does the SensaTank tank monitoring system work well? I have been looking for something like this for my Parkliner - thanks Kevin
Kevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
I put powered speakers in mine, in the upper rear cabinet. Then we got a bluetooth speaker, it puts the Altec Lansing speakers to shame, and no cords! We can put it right on the picnic table, or inside right where we are to keep the volume to a reasonable level. Nothing like listening to someone else's idea of great music from 5 sites away.

Best mod so far (haven't really done many yet) is adding 12v and 5v circuits using Anderson Powerpole connectors. I have pigtails made up for all the things I want to power/charge, and just switch them out as needed. Going to re-wire this winter anyway, so I'm adding the connectors in various locations. The 5v adapter was really cheap on Amazon, provides 5 amps at 5vdc, so it will charge pretty much every USB device I have, at once. Also got one to put into the overhead console in the truck, so I can charge my phone when it's in the cradle up there, it gets used as a GPS, music player, and sometimes even a phone up there.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #19
Sid

Wisconsin
KevinD
Sorry for the delay in the response are up on the North Shore of Minnesota looking at the fall colors and the waterfalls.
The tank monitoring system is working great! The one I got is for two tanks so it works well with the freshwater and the grey water. It's a capasitive sensing system that goes on the outside of each tank with three sensors ,bonded in place with 3m VHB tape. Each tank reads empty, one quarter , one half and full.
Since that's all the resolution I'm looking for I'm happy with it.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #20

Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
Sid, thanks for responding back. Sounds like you are having a wonderful trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Kevind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner