ParkLiner waste water leak - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #81

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
While there were clues, I did not hear the whole story till I brought the trailer down for a week this past summer. The clues - the chain bolts were bent sideways, and one hub was different from the other (stud size and different grease one side to the other). It was no big deal to me, and I replaced the chain bolts and completely cleaned both hubs this spring and greased them with Lucas Red n Tacky. I figure this cracked tank may very well have resulted from this mishap.

I haven't mentioned it before because it wasn't necessary. The folks at ParkLiner attribute every problem I have to that one incident. Whatever. I'm fixing it and am going to enjoy this trailer. There's no question it's a cool trailer to camp in!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #82

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
As Chief Lone Watie once said "we shall endeavor to persevere".

Frank, I am glad your up to the task to repairing this stuff. If mankind can build it, mankind can fix it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #83

New York
Thanks Steve. It would be immensely easier if we lived in sunny California, as that's where my ABS parts are coming from. I found out today the reason I couldn't find ABS fittings around here is that they're outlawed here! This guy Steve at Faucet Depot guided me through his web site to located the specific things I needed. Great folks there, and I would highly recommend them to anyone needing ABS stuff: Faucet Depot: Kitchen Faucets, Bathroom Faucets, Sinks & Showers by Moen, Delta & Grohe

Steve said ABS is mostly outlawed in the east and readily available in the west.

Onward.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #84

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Yea abs is all over the place out here. I don't know the issue with it back east unless its a freeze thaw problem. Its only used for waste lines.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #85

New York
About all I have left to get is a foot of 1-1/2" ABS pipe. I'll check on that today with an RV place close by and a True Value across the Hudson that carries ABS. My shredded ABS to make glue out of should be here tomorrow. I picked up a gallon of acetone yesterday to mix with the shredded ABS, per instructions, to make ABS glue. Gee, this is starting to get exciting...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #86

New York
I have a few more places to try today to find 6" (or a foot) of 1-1/2" ABS pipe. I probably need 3", but want to be err on the safe side. If I can't find it, I guess it's more expense - buying primer and adhesive to glue (white!) PVC to ABS.

Tried two RV places yesterday near where I work & live, nothing. Will try a few RV places in Albany today, see what happens.

Sheesh.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #87

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I have a few more places to try today to find 6" (or a foot) of 1-1/2" ABS pipe. I probably need 3", but want to be err on the safe side. If I can't find it, I guess it's more expense - buying primer and adhesive to glue (white!) PVC to ABS.

Tried two RV places yesterday near where I work & live, nothing. Will try a few RV places in Albany today, see what happens.

Sheesh.

Frank
So have to ask. What are the RV shops you approached using to repair dump pipes?

Is it not something your could also switch to using on your trailer? Just think that if you have to replace something in the future it may save some frustration if you don't have to search high and low for the parts to do it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #88

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
So have to ask. What are the RV shops you approached using to repair dump pipes?

Is it not something your could also switch to using on your trailer? Just think that if you have to replace something in the future it may save some frustration if you don't have to search high and low for the parts to do it.
First of all, I don't ask what they're using to repair dump pipes. Maybe I should. First place had 1-1/4" and 2" pipe, no 1-1/2", but quite a few ABS fittings in a variety of sizes. Second place had a parts counter, guy went looking, couldn't find any.

I believe I can use PVC. I need to buy some of that and see if it will work. If it does, I need to buy special primer and cement for one 2 or 3" piece.

I'm sorry to complain, but it's just irritating.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #89

Registry
[QUOTE=frank_a;491135

I'm sorry to complain, but it's just irritating.

Frank[/QUOTE]

No problem, I can appreciate your frustration.

Once you get it fixed up due to what clearly has been your ongoing/building frustration level with the trailer, I am half expecting you to post it for sale!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #90

New York
I do not expect to sell it unless I win the lottery and can buy a big 5th wheel Escape! We do love the design of this trailer we own. Now I just need to get the Escape to recognize the trailer brakes...

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
No problem, I can appreciate your frustration.

Once you get it fixed up due to what clearly has been your ongoing/building frustration level with the trailer, I am half expecting you to post it for sale!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #91

New York
Gee, maybe I should sell it and get one of these for $17,570.25:

2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #92

Registry
Where is currently BTW a VERY clean 2010 5.0 Escape for sale here in BC going for only US$1500 more than that sticky!! Yup I know its a long way from you but it looks like the trailer is in one really big storage place perhaps you could make a deal to leave it there until the spring.

Edit: Forgot the link to the ad 2010 Escape 5.0 5th Wheel.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #93

New York
My brother & sister-in-law winter in Yuma AZ, and the Home Depot there has a 2' piece of 1-1/2" ABS pipe in stock for $2.95. Problem solved!

That's the same piece I found online, but am not allowed to purchase from this location!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #94

New York
I mixed up my ground ABS with acetone almost 3 hours ago and it's not ready yet. ABS is still dissolving. Other than that, I am ready to patch the tank. Everything has been filed and ground down best I can, end of the crack that goes up into the tank body has had a hole drilled at the very end, wiped down with acetone (per directions). Will have blow-by-blow pics when it's done, but it may very well be a number of days.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #95

New York
Repaired!

Okay, tank repair is done. As promised, blow by blow pics.

First was filing the circular crack and grinding the crack that came off the circular crack up into the tank, then drilling a hole at the end of the crack to relieve stress (not mine - the tank's!):

Next was cleaning the area to be repaired with acetone, making it a shiny black:

I did all that stuff yesterday. My ABS had not yet completely dissolved in the acetone even by 9 last night. But it had this morning, and was the consistency of pancake batter, which was my goal (I just got lucky I guess!). Using a small parts cleaning brush, I applied the first layer:

While it was still wet, I applied fiberglass cloth that I had already cut to size. A small piece to cover the crack that went up into the tank, and a long 1" wide one that completely wrapped around the seam that had cracked. I put that on the sticky glue, then used my parts brush to wet it down, while pushing it into the crack area all around the seam. When done, I made sure to also wet the cloth out to it's edges, sealing it to the ABS.

To make the repair more effective, I supported the relatively heavy extension with a small piece of wood. I did this before applying the glue as well, as the weight of the valved part was pulling the crack open to a small degree.

Next is a quick leak test, then getting it ready to re-install. More pics soon (I hope!).

By the way, now that I've done this, I would never again try applying any two part epoxy to a crack in an ABS tank. This could also be done fairly easy on an installed tank.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #96

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Looks good! So how long for the mix to harden?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #97

New York
Thanks Deryk! Took almost 24 hours for the ABS to dissolve making the glue, then took maybe 10 minutes for it to solidify rock hard once I dabbed it on.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #98

New York
Deryk, I think the dry time is affected by how wet the glue is. Mine was not real wet, pretty much like pancake batter consistency. It's really amazing how it pretty much just becomes part of the tank!

Frank

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #99

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Your repair looks good Frank. However, these types of repairs are quite brittle. I would suggest that if at all possible, you make flexible connections from your tank to whatever fittings get connected, and try to support the weight of those fittings with straps to your trailer rather than letting your repair support the weight.

I have used a similar method for fixing shallow scrapes through the outer skin of my Royalex canoes. Just dissolved colored Lego blocks in Acetone and painted on the scratch or gouge on the canoe. If you pick the right color of Lego blocks, the patch can be color matched with the canoe. However, this is more of a cosmetic repair (providing UV protection to the inner core of the canoe) rather than a mechanical fix for extensive damage. The finished product looks good, but is brittle and can sometimes flake off when impacted by a rock.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #100

New York
Thanks Dave. When the tank is reinstalled, I will use rubber tubing connectors to attach to the interior plumbing. That will give it some flexibility, and also make it much easier to remove the tank if necessary in the future. Other than that, I will use the same metal strapping to secure it that held it to begin with with.

It's hard to believe this repair will be any more brittle than unrepaired ABS, but you obviously speak from experience. It sure seems like it welded right in, and I applied the fiberglass cloth in large part to give it strength. You think that might pop off if a rock hits it? That's not good, as this area sits right behind a tire! Is there a better way to fix a crack in an ABS tank? Should I just buy a new tank?

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Your repair looks good Frank. However, these types of repairs are quite brittle. I would suggest that if at all possible, you make flexible connections from your tank to whatever fittings get connected, and try to support the weight of those fittings with straps to your trailer rather than letting your repair support the weight.

I have used a similar method for fixing shallow scrapes through the outer skin of my Royalex canoes. Just dissolved colored Lego blocks in Acetone and painted on the scratch or gouge on the canoe. If you pick the right color of Lego blocks, the patch can be color matched with the canoe. However, this is more of a cosmetic repair (providing UV protection to the inner core of the canoe) rather than a mechanical fix for extensive damage. The finished product looks good, but is brittle and can sometimes flake off when impacted by a rock.
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner