Winterizing Question - Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Delete

I was just watching the Parkliner DVD and I don't understand something Chandler said. Plus my DVD self destructed and is no longer readable.

ETA: I deleted my question. Once I started winterizing, it was obvious. I had to close the cold so I could get antifreeze to the toilet and drain. The hot didn't need to be closed because the water had been drained from it and the hot water tank had also been drained.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I wish I had read you original question Huck. I need to put a low water drain in over by the water heater. I have a drain now for the freshwater tank, but wonder if I should remove the pump over winter? I have to get at this stuff, as freezing weather is rapidly approaching! I've only winterized trailers twice, one an old Sunline, then 006 last year, and really don't remember much!

Are those wonderful folks at the factory sending you another DVD?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Are those wonderful folks at the factory sending you another DVD?

Frank
I'd rather just have someone put in on youtube.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

New York
I would do that if I could Huck, but we have like the slowest internet speed in the country, living out in the boonies like we do. I could make a copy of mine (if I can find it) and send it to ya.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I would do that if I could Huck, but we have like the slowest internet speed in the country, living out in the boonies like we do. I could make a copy of mine (if I can find it) and send it to ya.

Frank
Thanks, but I'm good. I got almost all the way through the winterizing part before I started having read problems. I just think it would be good PR move for Parkliner to put a copy on youtube.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
I have watched my video and am still puzzled. I am taking her this weekend and then plan to winterize her after that. My first time to do anything like this, I sure hope I can figure it out….
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Rely on good old FGRV

If you need to know how to winterize, go here:

The Fiberglass RV Community

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

Michigan
Thanks Roger
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Roger (Others).
Having drained hot water tank and fresh water tank, I used an old air compressor to blow out the lines from the city water inlet. I shut off the input valve to hot water tank. I observed moisture exiting the cold faucet and shower. I pumped antifreeze into the input line until it exited the cold faucet and shower. Put antifreeze into tank and pumped it into sink and shower cold lines. Used shower pump to exhaust the drain and poured antifreeze into traps.

I do not understand how the hot water line to the shower has been treated. Have I missed something?

David

Sironi
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #10

Wisconsin
I should add that I have a 2013 Scamp 16' with shower & toilet in the front. I have read the references post. I have but one bypass to the hot water, not an output one (that I know of).
I have read the post about covering the faucet (shower) end with the hot valve open and opening the cold valve while pumping antifreeze from tank. That would seem to handle my question about the hot line to the shower.

Do I have it right?

Sironi
Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsironi View Post
Roger (Others).
Having drained hot water tank and fresh water tank, I used an old air compressor to blow out the lines from the city water inlet. I shut off the input valve to hot water tank. I observed moisture exiting the cold faucet and shower. I pumped antifreeze into the input line until it exited the cold faucet and shower. Put antifreeze into tank and pumped it into sink and shower cold lines. Used shower pump to exhaust the drain and poured antifreeze into traps.

I do not understand how the hot water line to the shower has been treated. Have I missed something?

David
Sironi
When I did my parkliner, I initially had the same question. So I just stepped back and thought about what I had done. First, I drained the hot water tank, fresh water tank, and water pipes. So that means the hot water side - pipes and tank - should be OK as there is no water in them now. You went a step farther and blew the hot water tank out. You're done with the hot water side unless you have an anode rod that needs to be removed.

The cold water side is then closed so you can run antifreeze through it to get to the toilet and drain. The hot water side is bypassed. No water in it anymore so no need for antifreeze.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #12

Wisconsin
Winterizing Question - Parkliner

Huck,
Thanks for sharing. Assuming that I did clear the hot lines (I may re-do it), do I fill the cold lines with antifreeze only for the purpose of treating the pump, since I do not have a separate antifreeze input to the pump?

I know that draining the hot water tank with open hot faucet and shower valves will only drain it to the height of the drain plug on the heater tank. In this case I am relying on the compressed air to have removed the water from the hot line. Actually, I all the water needn't be removed, because a little ice will not expand the hose, but this condition is undetectable in theses hidden lines.

Sironi
Old 10-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Exclamation Blowing out water lines

Please be careful that you don't use an air compressor that uses oil to lubricate. You could end up with oil in your water lines.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Please be careful that you don't use an air compressor that uses oil to lubricate. You could end up with oil in your water lines.

Highly unlikely if compressor is in good condition and/or has oil seperator installed. Even if oil did get into water lines from an oil bath compressor, amount would be minimal and would not pose much of a hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #15

Michigan
Huck, since you have winterized your Parkliner already perhaps you can answer my question. The video said there are 3 valves connected to the hot water tank, I can only find 2. I have felt all around under the hot water heater and do not feel another. Do you have 3?
Old 10-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #16

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
Huck, since you have winterized your Parkliner already perhaps you can answer my question. The video said there are 3 valves connected to the hot water tank, I can only find 2. I have felt all around under the hot water heater and do not feel another. Do you have 3?
There's 1 for the hot water tank, 1 on the cold water line, and 1 on the hot water line. I forget which is on top, but for the hot and cold water line valves, one is under the other one and a little harder to reach. Use a flashlight and you can easily see both of them.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

Michigan
Well Huck, I looked and my husband looked and there is definitely one valve on the hot water line and none on the cold water line. I am hoping that since I have an outside faucet that I'm not supposed to have one. I will have to check. Finished winterizing but am still getting in one more trip this weekend. I guess I better pack lots of water. Thanks for your help Huck, I appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #18

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
Well Huck, I looked and my husband looked and there is definitely one valve on the hot water line and none on the cold water line. I am hoping that since I have an outside faucet that I'm not supposed to have one. I will have to check. Finished winterizing but am still getting in one more trip this weekend. I guess I better pack lots of water. Thanks for your help Huck, I appreciate it.
Maybe the outside faucet is the third valve Pat? I have no idea as the only valves I have are one I installed to isolate the hot water heater, and another I installed to drain the potable water tank (after my water pump gave up the ghost).

How do those puppies of yours like their new "dog house?"

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 11-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Pat
Here is a pic of my shut off valves as well as the exit port for my outside faucet (follow the tube on the right). Frank is correct, as you can see the cold water valve is redundant.
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #20

Michigan
Thanks Sid, I definitely don't have that cold water shut off, thanks for posting the pic. Sounds like I don't need it. Frank, the dogs seem to be enjoying the new travel arrangements. The biggest thing for them to learn is that they can't leave the trailer until I am outside and release them. They are doing pretty well with it. I took her this weekend for a trial and unhooked her AND got her hooked up again by myself. Then I got home and backed her in between a tree and my other van. I am feeling pretty proud of myself…..Of course by next spring I will probably have to relearn everything all over again.