1969 Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Hi all,

Thanks for all the info here!

I'm new to this forum, and my wife and I are eagerly awaiting a trip to the coast to look at a 1969 Boler. I'm building up a library of resources ahead of time, and wondering if there is a photo/spec gallery anywhere. I'm looking to find some original images of a 69, and to see how far this trailer is from its original state. It looks like it's in great shape. The first thing I'd like to do is restore the belly band/hinges and all chrome.

Any help is appreciated - anyone else have a 69? Does this look like a 69? Do the rear lights look right etc. Also - does anyone have a good resource for purchasing replacement parts? Finally, did this year have the ensolite insulation?

Here's a few pics : I appreciate any input

Cheers!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   1.jpg  

3.jpg   4.jpg  

Attached Images

Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
I'm no Boler expert, I've just seen them around for a long time, but here goes:

Taillights- not original- those are boat trailer/utility trailer lights
Roof rack- not original
Ashtray on table- trailer smoked in? May turn some buyers off
Paint- definitely NOT original- looks good in pics though
Wood counter top edging- not original
Green interior paint- none is original
Door latch assembly- hard to see but looks like a standard hasp for a padlock?- not original

Come on Boler people, help me out....

Eric B
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
hummm Bolers of this vintage had Jalousie windows rather than a slider, I think And those taillights should be "Frenched."

Here's a link to a 1973 Boler Brochure... not sure it will help much, but thought I'd point it out:
1973 Boler Brochure
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
I thought that window looked out of place.
Thanks Donna and good morning!
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_of_100.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	21161

Here's th only photo I have of a flat roofed Boler. It was taken at the '03 Bolerama at Cyprus Hills. The bumper is an after market 193?'s something. The other trailer shows, I think a 1970, shows the tail lights and bumper better. They may also be "Old Ford"
Your pictures look to be of a trailer in good shape. I'd get the trailer first and then bring it back to original. You can always use it in the mean time.
Attached Thumbnails
bolerama_2004_017_1.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #6

Quote:
hummm Bolers of this vintage had Jalousie windows rather than a slider, I think And those taillights should be "Frenched."
The original models were smooth bodied. The frenched look came about two years later.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #7

Thanks for the clarification James. After looking at those pictures you posted, I had an epiphany that Boler used whatever taillights were available at the time. So first they built smooth bodies, then Frenched taillights and then went back to smooth bodies?? Do you know what years the Boler had Frenched taillights?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donna D... My brothers former '72 Winnipeg Boler had not only frenched in taillights but also the reflectors on the lower front (not the sides)
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #9

Donna D
I think that only the first two years had smooth bodies and what looks like 38-9 Ford tail lights. After that they went to the frenched look and the top hat rear lights, right through to '88. Some of the clones kept the smooth look with the rounded corners.

OK, Now I'll have to take more pictures, year by year, and all the variations. Now that would go well with the Boler history.

So how come with so many Bolers made, we don't have them in the home pages. There were thousands built but we only have one picture of a '13 footer? After all, didn't they start a trend?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smooth_Boler_1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	21171

This one has had the body side moulding smoothed out. Behind the swing-out box is a rear door, so that the owner can take along his surfboard, inside the trailer. The windows look to be from a van. it's a hit whenever it shows up at a gathering.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
So how come with so many Bolers made, we don't have them in the home pages. There were thousands built but we only have one picture of a '13 footer? After all, didn't they start a trend?
I'm confused, looking at the home page gallery, we've featured a Boler 32 times. And there's like 14 or 15 Boler pictures in the Albums.

What am I missing??
Old 06-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
The picture show a seam on the walls so I guess it has ensolite insulation.
It sure is a nice looking trailer even though it's not totally stock.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #12

Thank you all for your comments. Re the ashtray, I thought it was maybe a coffee cup (wishful thinking). In terms of the window and brake lights, do you think these are a concern? Would the general consensus be that its a good deal - seller wants 4500 for it.

I must say, I do like the look of the recessed lights, but I wouldn't fore go the trailer because of that. The window - I'd think a stock one could be found, but I'm completely green here. What does everyone think?

On a separate note, I found this one too (pics attached). The seller wants 1000 less, and mentioned the propane/gas regulator needs replacing as he could only get a very small flame. It's certainly not as pretty, but we could get it for 1000+ less (and it does have the recessed lights). I suppose I'm torn in that the yellow one looks great and from what I understand only 150 were made in 69 which has a certain 'coolness' to it. Any opinions are appreciated.

The seller on the second one made comments about Bolers bouncing because they are so light, and often the frames can get cracked. He said this frame had been reinforced by the previous owner, but he hadn't taken a look himself. There's always a few '?s' that go through your mind when certain comments are made - plus he's only had it one year. Is there any validity to his comments? Are there things I should be looking at that are common issues with these trailers? Is a cracked frame a reasonably priced fix? He didn't know when the bearings were done last etc, but those things are minor.

Thank you all again - we're going to look at the second one (not yellow) tonight - our first date with a Boler.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #13

Reading comments again - I heartily agree. As mentioned, my wife and I have been scouring the net for weeks. What I find frustrating is that there isn't one well presented 'guide' to these beautiful trailers. I've been developing websites since 1999 and been a graphic designer for over 15 years (not blowing smoke at all) I only mention this because I feel it would be great to create a site that was presented like a 1950s/60s Bachelor pad (or Bachelorette) coffee table book "Boler - an illustrated history" or something to that effect. I was desperately trying to find a graphic 'timeline' showing specs of different years, different features, colors, etc. Anyway - just thinking out loud. I may have to put something together in my spare time (that may be short-lived with a baby on the way!) -

It could only really survive with input from users such as the people here though!

Food for thought.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Attachment 21161

Here's th only photo I have of a flat roofed Boler. It was taken at the '03 Bolerama at Cyprus Hills. The bumper is an after market 193?'s something. The other trailer shows, I think a 1970, shows the tail lights and bumper better. They may also be "Old Ford"
Your pictures look to be of a trailer in good shape. I'd get the trailer first and then bring it back to original. You can always use it in the mean time.
Thanks James - I didn't even realize the yellow was a flat roofed version (it is right?) until you mentioned it. This would designate the year then, correct? I'm about 5'7" and my wife a little less tall I think we'd be okay...

Mike
Old 06-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #15

Here's a few more pics - 3500 OBO

Thoughts?? Going in a few hours to take a look!

Thanks everyone,
Mike and Heather
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0607.jpg   IMG_0608.jpg  

Old 06-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry

"Thoughts"?

I'd say the second one, the one you are going to look at, is a much better proposition just from the photos. It's more original and more easily restorable to original which you have indicated you wanted to do. You prefer the frenched tail-lights. It's cheaper.

Do you have the Buyer's checklist and cash in hand?
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #17

Quote:
"Thoughts"?

I'd say the second one, the one you are going to look at, is a much better proposition just from the photos. It's more original and more easily restorable to original which you have indicated you wanted to do. You prefer the frenched tail-lights. It's cheaper.

Do you have the Buyer's checklist and cash in hand?
Hey Clive - I have the buyer's checklist from this site, and I'm bringing a flashlight and camera. No cash in hand, but a check. Insurance places here are closed at this time, and we need to have the papers to insure it, meaning another trip.

You pointed out some good things - it's good to hear it from somewhere else sometimes. As much as I like the yellow one, we'd repaint it anyway. Doing some work on the second one appeals to me more.

Any items on these that are notorious 'problem areas' that you're aware of? Just waiting for my wife to come home and we're off.

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #18

Frame, frame, frame... check the frame. Before pulling away make sure the bearings are good to go (along with the tires... including the spare). Taillights are in working order when hooked to the tug?

Best of luck, we just want to make sure you get home safely. And don't forget to post big ole smilie pictures soon!

On edit: I see you mentioned the frame and bearings in one of your posts, so you already know what to check
Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #19

Quote:
What I find frustrating is that there isn't one well presented 'guide' to these beautiful trailers. I've been developing websites since 1999 and been a graphic designer for over 15 years (not blowing smoke at all) I only mention this because I feel it would be great to create a site that was presented like a 1950s/60s Bachelor pad (or Bachelorette) coffee table book "Boler - an illustrated history" or something to that effect. I was desperately trying to find a graphic 'timeline' showing specs of different years, different features, colors, etc. Anyway - just thinking out loud. I may have to put something together in my spare time (that may be short-lived with a baby on the way!) -

Food for thought.
Mike, have you seen this topic:
Fiberglass Travel Trailer Documentary. After meeting Matt, I think he's going to have a great product!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #20

Thanks Donna - great advice. I'm bringing a flashlight to check underneath - aside from looking for cracks or breaks I guess there's no other way to tell. We're going to hook up the lights, but the current owner doesn't know about the bearings or axle - not really sure what to look for there.

Hopefully it's in decent shape - the trek is 2 hrs, so if the bearings will hold out, we can check/change them at home. I've also read that the floors can be rotted if water's got in, but have also read that the 74 has a fiberglass floor...I guess we'll see.

I'll post again in the am with news +/- - thanks again,

Mike

Tags
boler