My Casita had a drain problem, it was me. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
My Casita had a drain problem, it was me.

Switched out our Scamp for a Casita. First trip to the dumping station and it was incredibly slow draining compared to our Scamp. Looked up this problem on the internet and everyone was saying Casitas were slow drainers. So I assumed that's just the way it is with them and I could buy a vent kit to get some speed. After about 4 trips to the dump station I was very frustrated so looked around to find my problem, which ended up being my basic knowledge of the Casita outlet. Some thread on here said something about swiveling the drain down? the Scamp drain was high and glued in place. I just assumed my Casita had the drain tilting upward and it didn't appear to be able to move to me. And I didn't see anything in the owners manual (I think Casita owners manuals are pretty bad). Imagine my surprise and happy face when I walked out and tried to swivel it down, and it did!!!

Despite my high mechanical aptitude compared to most others, every once in a while I am the dumbest person on earth. I felt like a big drip, or was it a little drip?
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Things I have learned from Larry at LHC and the Casita Forum
1) The drain outlet is not meant to be constantly swiveled
Put it in a slightly downward position and leave it there.
2) The design of the Casita grey tank drain leaves something to be desired.
Larry sells a grey tank modification kit which increases the size of the drain piping , adds downward pitch to the drain piping and allows for the grey tank to drain more completely and have a higher capacity.
3) Adding a vent tube from the grey tank to the front passenger side vent allows the grey tank to drain must faster .
We have added the above mods and they have cut our dump times down to less than half
If you want further info go to the LHC website or the Casita Forum
or leave things as is and plan on spending 10 minutes dumping your grey tank.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #3

Name: Wally
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Your not the first to discover this. I added the vent line from LHC but didn't do the other mod. Mine drains just fine. Try it out with it swiveled downward and see how it works. You might not need any mods.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I remember that aha moment too
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=steve dunham;602214]1) The drain outlet is not meant to be constantly swiveled

Interesting comment Steve as it's designed to move for road clearance. I've never had a problem with leaks or anything moving it but maybe other members can chime in if they've had any issues with rotating it at every dump stop. When I got my SD the up tilted outlet through me so I called Casita about it. All they said was to rotate it down to empty. Nothing about leaving it in a down angle. Kind of sounds like one person had a problem with it and the word was spread. With all the Casitas out there with that setup you would think that if there really was a problem it would have been mentioned many times on these threads.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[QUOTE=Borrego Dave;602330]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
1) The drain outlet is not meant to be constantly swiveled

Interesting comment Steve as it's designed to move for road clearance. .
OH NO Dave, you've just opened a subject with two completely differing trains of thought

Personally I'm on the fence on this.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita