EggCamper Frig Size? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
EggCamper Frig Size?

I have the emailed EggCamper brochure and it just says "Norcold 12v DC Refrigerator". I am guessing AC/DC but I'm not sure and it doesn't say the size and it looks really small almost like the one in our pop-up which is 1. something cubic feet. While you can get more in one than you would think, it is limiting. Thanks!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
EggCamper Frig Size?

Yes it is quite small. Mine is not here to measure but one something sounds right. It is ac/dc.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #3

Thank you. I was pretty sure it came in as one of the smallest if not the smallest. We have always kept an AC/DC plastic Coleman cooler which we used for those times when we just bought a few too many fresh fruits and vegetables and that works out well since you can shut it down when your inventory drops.

I really tried in my mind to make the EggCamper workable but............. Darn!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Cathy, We have the original installation/owner's manual for the Norcold refrigerator in our 2010 EggCamper. It is a model "DC0751B" (12/24V DC only, powered through the on-board AC/DC converter when plugged in to shore power; the "B" stands for a black front panel). Interestingly, the manual doesn't mention its capacity, but as near as I can tell from web searches, it is 2.7 ft cu. We have a small Yeti ice chest that we slip under the bed for things that need to stay cool but we don't need to repeatedly access throughout the day. Using the Yeti, we rarely fill the fridge unless we eat out and bring home leftovers in those over-sized Styrofoam carry-out containers. They can complicate things. So anyway, I wouldn't let the 2.7 ft cu factory fridge be a deal-breaker in purchasing an EggCamper. We get along with it just fine. I hope that helps... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #5

Dale: Thanks, that is very helpful. I went to the Norcold website but that really didn't help. We have had both Norcold and Dometic and sort of always liked the Norcold better. Personal preference nothing I want to debate or can prove. : )
Old 05-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Norcold 12v fridge

Hi Cathy,

I agree with Dale--I don't think the fridge would be a deal breaker at all. At first I thought we'd need a larger fridge, but all things considered, it was just about the right size.

Ours is small also. Probably the same size or smaller. It has a tiny freezer which almost keeps frozen items frozen--but it won't freeze Ice Cream. The freezer will almost completely freeze 3, 1/2 liter water bottles. (Then you can take the bottles out to keep your drinks cold for a day trip without the camper or a hike). . We traveled for 60 days this winter and kept ours mostly full, filling empty spots with beverages and water bottles.

We had the same problem with the restaurant take-out containers. We brought a few rectangular plastic containers and transferred the leftovers into those if needed.

This Norcold 12volt fridge does not use very much electricity. Sometimes we shut it off at night if we were at a non-electric site and it stayed cold. Then we left it on while traveling and charging thru the TV system. And we had another small cooler we kept in the TV most of the time.

GL Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

Thanks! I was looking at Norcold's website and was figuring maybe the frig looked like this on the inside? http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/re...751-S-open.jpg

I really don't do a lot with a freezer anymore except ice and I have pondered getting an ice maker, small one. Ice is really expensive. We once went to Disney World with an ice box and were there 10 days - $$$$$$ just for ice!

I like the EggCamper for its simplicity. Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We also have a small fridge and regularly joked about it. Now it's never an issue and we don't ever carry back up coolers. There are lots of food alternatives that do not require refrigeration and of course we eat less when traveling.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #9

We use almond milk and can buy the shelf stable and eggs only for baking and I found an alternative which works quite well in baked goods:

Flax egg: 1 egg = 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal and 3 Tbsp water Mix together and let sit for about 5 minutes.

You also get the benefits of flaxseed. You can purchase it just about everywhere now in the health food or baking section of the grocery store.

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We always needed to carry a back-up cooler when camping in our EggCamper, mainly for all the drinks. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for us, but we do now enjoy having a larger refrigerator. We were thinking of the main things we like most about our Escape 21 over our old EggCamper, and the main things are the extra storage space, the table for four, and the larger bathroom. The small fridge came in a poor fourth - not really a big deal. We did like the bed arrangement better in the EggCamper; it was easier for me to exit bed by climbing over my wife than it is to scoot down to the end of the bed like I have to do now; and I don't quite have enough headroom in the Escape. The perfect camper seems to be illusive indeed - there are pluses and minuses to all of them.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The fridge is DC only and is a compressor fridge like your home fridge so does not have to be level like typical rv fridges. No need to turn it off at night without elect because it isn't on all the time. It cycles on and off. Worked very well for us.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We always needed to carry a back-up cooler when camping in our EggCamper, mainly for all the drinks. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for us, but we do now enjoy having a larger refrigerator.
Interesting Ray.. We have just totally changed our drinking habits and have made water our most popular drink followed by coffee, mostly eliminating sweeteners.

We occasionally desire carbonation and just put a can of seltzer in the fridge to cool. We have also given up ice, probably because we don't have a method for making ice but also fine we don't miss it.

A lot of changes have come with our travels, eating, dressing, spending....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Interesting Ray.. We have just totally changed our drinking habits and have made water our most popular drink followed by coffee, mostly eliminating sweeteners.

We occasionally desire carbonation and just put a can of seltzer in the fridge to cool. We have also given up ice, probably because we don't have a method for making ice but also fine we don't miss it.

A lot of changes have come with our travels, eating, dressing, spending....
We run our drinking water through a Berkey filter. I have a Vita-Mixer so use fruit to make juices and my Vita-mixer must have a spot as does my Berkey. We don't drink any other beverages. We don't really use condiments.

We full-timed for awhile and really, as time went by, we realized how little we really needed and made adjustments. "Less is more."? That's my motto.

Now, ice? That would take some weaning off of but I have bought these LLBean insulated drinking glasses/cups and they actually keep my drink cold, through the entire night. I can put 2 ice cubes in there with my water and wake up and still have ice fragments. I always drink water through the night. I am guessing they would do the same for hot beverages. We bought so many cups that said they were insulated and they did not work. I also have those drinking bags, little ones, that you can freeze and could probably easily get 2 or 3 in a tiny freezer since they can kind of shape around themselves.

So, there are a lot of adjustments that I think come easily over time.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #14

Update: I got an email from Jim at EggCamper this morning and it verifies that the frig is a 2.7 cu ft. I have decided I can deal with that. Am trying to decide whether to take that big step and order! Such a big decision too but have been looking at it online since it was introduced since I follow the RV market closely.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Cathy, Go for it! We absolutely love our EggCamper (but then, most everyone grows to love whatever the particular brand they make memories in!). It's the perfect size and layout for just the two of us. If I were to order one new, the only factory modification I would ask for is a MaxxAir MaxxFan 7000 series roof fan (dual-direction, multi-speed, remote control) that can run without letting rain in. Our 2010 came with the old factory standard fan (small diameter, low air volume, one-speed, one-direction, better close the hatch when it rains or you get wet fan). We keep talking about upgrading, but it hasn't been a big enough issue to us yet to warrant the time and money to do it. But it would be worth having them install it at the factory - if they will. Regardless, get something and get camping! Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #16

Western Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Update: I got an email from Jim at EggCamper this morning and it verifies that the frig is a 2.7 cu ft. I have decided I can deal with that. Am trying to decide whether to take that big step and order! Such a big decision too but have been looking at it online since it was introduced since I follow the RV market closely.
Hi Cathy,
Larger bed size (easily converted from Full to an almost Queen size), interior height & width, decent shower & toilet, reasonably low weight, ability to leave bed in place and still have a 2 person dinette, were all good reasons for us to buy the Eggcamper. The "white" fiberglass interior makes it look a bit stark, but that did not bother us, and curtains, cushions and personal decorating touches can really make it look nice on the inside. It just doesn't have the inside "wood" look that some other fgrv's have. I worried about no propane, but all-electric has worked for us just fine so far. The fridge size is not an issue for us. We haven't used it in very hot weather so I can't say about the A/C, but I've got to think that I'd want the best roof fan available if I were ordering a new one. You'll probably burn just a little more gas than towing a comparable Scamp or Casita because even though the Eggcamper is fairly aerodynamic, it cuts about a 10-20% larger hole through the wind. But the roomier interior is really worth it. Hope to see you on the camping trail!
GL Mark
Old 05-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #17

Western Massachusetts
I'd go with Dale's recommendation on the fan. Ours has the original, and it's one speed and not real quiet.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #18

Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper bimini awning?

Cathy,
One of the first things my wife wanted was an awning. Well, ours came without one. We really haven't found a need for one yet, but I think we will want one eventually. I looked into installing one, but haven't done it yet. Might be worth getting the awning from the factory if you like to have one.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #19

Thanks Mark & Dale for your input. It seems that overall, EggCamper owners are pretty pleased with the unit. I am not a "carpet" enthusiast so the smooth interior is a real plus. It is still a tough decision. I know that the stick won't hold up, the EggCamper is really twice the price but I would expect twice+ the useful life and an easy sell, sort of more of an investment than the stick although small units of any type are easy to sell where we are. We have people asking if we want to sell the pop-up, same when we had the TT, and I'm thinking "Do you see a For Sale sign". Oh, gosh, the EggCamper in the yard would bring a whole new shopping crowd. : ( Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #20

Western Massachusetts
Cathy, I think that if you bought Eggcamper brand new and later decided to sell, you'd come out with a much, much larger percentage of your original investment than if you bought a stick built trailer. And if you end up keeping the Egg for, say, 10 or 15 years, the Egg would have good value left whereas the stick built would have little value left.
GL Mark

Tags
eggcamper