Suburban and The EggCamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 06:02 AM   #1

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
Suburban and The EggCamper

I have another question about the Egg Camper, I recently had issues with getting my new tow vehicle to work with my sticky trailer (had dealer do some updates and a new neck for the WD hitch that was needed-still trying to sell though). So I ended up having to do a lift on my sticky to get it high enough to reach the WDH properly since I had the longest drop neck on the one I currently owned. Based on some pictures I took of the used Egg I visited I would have the same issues if I had to use a WD hitch. I know the owner said that Jim commented he wouldn't recommend one, but I wondered if anyone else had similar issues and what they did. My receiver is like 24" off the ground and the trailers have about a 15" height, making it almost a foot difference. I know my beast of a car isn't what most use to pull their light weight trailers, but I know there has to be someone out there with similar issue.
Thanks in Advance!! I attached my sticky and burb set up....I was just happy to be pulling it again, but now I need a good step to get in my 4x4 trailer!
Old 08-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #2

Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0575.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	98435
Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi Crystal,

I would love to help but unfortunately I only understood half or what you wrote? We must be speaking different languages. :-) I am north of the border and use an Econoline E350 for towing and it is about the same height as your vehicle as far as I know. I have no problem towing my T4500. my drawbar does have a slight drop to make the trailer ride horizontal. Can you take a better picture or the hitch and drawbar of your tow vehicle?
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Pull my 2011 Eggcamper with a 2011 Chev Silverado crew cab with diesel. Never used a WDH. No need for it. Used a drop stinger that set the trailer level and no problems.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
I have another question about the Egg Camper, I recently had issues with getting my new tow vehicle to work with my sticky trailer (had dealer do some updates and a new neck for the WD hitch that was needed-still trying to sell though). So I ended up having to do a lift on my sticky to get it high enough to reach the WDH properly since I had the longest drop neck on the one I currently owned. Based on some pictures I took of the used Egg I visited I would have the same issues if I had to use a WD hitch. I know the owner said that Jim commented he wouldn't recommend one, but I wondered if anyone else had similar issues and what they did. My receiver is like 24" off the ground and the trailers have about a 15" height, making it almost a foot difference. I know my beast of a car isn't what most use to pull their light weight trailers, but I know there has to be someone out there with similar issue.
Thanks in Advance!! I attached my sticky and burb set up....I was just happy to be pulling it again, but now I need a good step to get in my 4x4 trailer!

If the trailer manufacture states they do not recommend the use of a WDH there is usually a REAL good reason for it.. Most probable the frame is not beefy enough to withstand the stress put on it by using one. Very few people need to use a WDH on a trailer that weighs under 3500lbs loaded so manufactures just do not put a big beefy frame under the trailer.

Why do you believe you will need a WDH with your vehicle?

The only reason one might want to use a WDH is if the tongue weight of the trailer causes the rear of the vehicle to drop to much and you end up with the headlights pointing up. If thats the case there are alternative solutions to the problem depending on how badly it drops the rear - for example some people add air bags to the rear of the vehicle.

Sounds like you simple need a ball mount with a large drop.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
From the pic of your tug it looks to be at standard height. The only trucks I've ever seen with a receiver at around 24" were lifted 4 x 4s and they used a long drop stinger. Are you sure of the hitch height?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

Michigan
I think Carol answered my question

Wayne, I had to have my friend use his truck to tow my trailer to the dealer and out of storage until I could get it in for service. YES it is that high, the dealer got the longest hitch neck for the WD hitch and even called the company to see if they had another height one and they did not. Which then required the lift to put the trailer lever vs looking up at the sky dragging butt behind. This is what I started thinking about when someone requested to come look at it to buy this weekend....(we'll see) and then I got excited about egg and then starting thinking about all the issues I just had and began to worry I bought the wrong car (although with travel baseball it's a dream with coolers and canopies, equipment and children).

The trailer was originally 15" height and I tried a 12in drop with WD, but I was still 2 inches shy of being level which isn't big until you look at the back! Trust me, even my friend thought I was a "girl" and over reacting until he measure for himself and was like hmmmmmmm I guess you are right....I might not be the smartest cookie, but I'm a visual learner and seeing that height scared me when I bought the TV, but I couldn't pass on the price of the used burb. and my hubby hated my Traverse so it's helped the marriage too

I think drop hitch is all I need then
Old 08-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #8

Michigan
basically this is the kind I need for egg
Attached Thumbnails
hitch.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Michigan
the bottom one, the top one is what I have now, sorry uploaded both
Old 08-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #10

Michigan
I found this interesting on an airstream forum......sounds like I'm not alone......

2012 Suburban Receiver height
I traded my 2008 Suburban for a 2012 Suburban early last year. To look at the 2008 and 2012 you can't really see much of a difference. in 2008 Chevy went to a factory type receiver and the same type receiver was on the 2012. But although I never gave it much thought the height of the receiver opening measured from the ground to the top of the receiver is 2" lower on my 2012 (22") than on my 2008 (24"). Even though I have the same 20" size wheels and tires on the 2012 that was on the 2008.

When I bought the 2008 I had a 4'' Hensley Arrow drop bar that I had used with my 2004 Suburban and had to swap that out for an 8" drop bar for the 2008. As I said I have not given this much though but had felt that the trailer when connected sit down in front just a little from what it had with the 2008.

If anyone has a 2012 Suburban 1500 with the same wheel size what are the measurements of the receiver compared to mine above. Also if someone has a 2012 Suburban 1500 with same wheel size and has a Hensley Arrow what drop bar are you using.

Thanks

Don
Old 08-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LDY View Post
I think Carol answered my question

The trailer was originally 15" height and I tried a 12in drop with WD, but I was still 2 inches shy of being level which isn't big until you look at the back! Trust me, even my friend thought I was a "girl" and over reacting until he measure for himself and was like hmmmmmmm I guess you are right....I might not be the smartest cookie, but I'm a visual learner and seeing that height scared me when I bought the TV, but I couldn't pass on the price of the used burb. and my hubby hated my Traverse so it's helped the marriage too

I think drop hitch is all I need then
Yup - with a trailer that is going to have a hitch weight loaded in the 250lb range can not image why a WDH would be needed - especially with the tow vehicle you have.

15" hitch height is pretty low for a trailer! Surprised at that.

I do not know what the Egg Camper hitch height is but if I am not mistaken my 16' Scamp even with an old axle on it was about 20" and I do not think the Scamp 13" is/was any more than a couple of inches lower than that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #12

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Hi Crystal,

Im sorry i didnt see this post till now. Been busy getting ready and now laid up with leg surgery. But i agree with peeps here too. I had a WDH on my Casita and loved it. I wanted to put it on the EggCamper but it was welded on the Casita so it went with it.. I was bummed. But after pulling the EggCamper with my 2011 Silverado 4x4, I agree its not even close to being needed. I would say skip it as well. I'll measure my receiver and drop in a few weeks when Im up and around.

Now a sway bar may be another story. I feel tiny amounts of sway pulling the EggCamper and liked the Casita anti-sway bar. I'll probably add one of those next spring. Im also considering a lift on the EggCamper and maybe shocks too next spring so i can hopefully report out my experiences on that too. Jim mentioned not to do it but i'd really like the added ground clearances and think it should be ok if the entire setup is done correctly. The tounge is very low. I'm sure his thoughts are for pulling with smaller vehicles, which we are not doing!

Joe
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup - with a trailer that is going to have a hitch weight loaded in the 250lb range can not image why a WDH would be needed - especially with the tow vehicle you have.

15" hitch height is pretty low for a trailer! Surprised at that.

I do not know what the Egg Camper hitch height is but if I am not mistaken my 16' Scamp even with an old axle on it was about 20" and I do not think the Scamp 13" is/was any more than a couple of inches lower than that.
We tow with a full size ,1/2 ton truck and use a WDH.
The assumption that you do not need a WDH because you tow with a larger vehicle and the tongue weight of a FG trailer is relatively low is not necessarily true
We have a fiberglass topper , rubber bed matt , and our camping /auto supplies which all ride in the bed of our truck . The rear of the truck sags slightly without the added weight of our trailer. When we hook up our Casita trailer ( tongue weight of 425 lbs ) the sag becomes unacceptable.
I know many people who own Suburban and when they go hunting / fishing the back end is loaded to the hilt and the vehicle's rear end sags without a trailer. We made a hunting trip to Wyoming in a Suburban , with 4 guys ,all their gear and towing a trailer . We avoided driving at night because our headlights were shining at the moon.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #14

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Crystal, Our 2010 EggCamper hitch is level at 18". When we pull with our 2002 Highlander, its box hitch receiver is 16" high, so we use a ball mount with a 2" rise. When we pull with our 1999 Ford F-150, its box hitch receiver is 24" high, so we use a ball mount with a 6" drop. Both pull fine without any kind of WDH or sway control. My surprise in all this is how wimpy the rear suspension appears to be on Suburbans! Beef up the rear suspension and most of your problems should go away.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Agree with WarEagle! I forgot to mention my Silverado has a Z85 package which is beefier springs than normal 4x4. When I'm loaded with ALL gear in truck, including a huge cooler I have to load and unload in the truck (I get thirsty) I leave it in there the whole trip, and the topper and the EggCamper, I'm still level. Agree it depends on the tv.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Technical correction - our Ford is an F-250 (3/4 ton) with a heavy-duty suspension. It doesn't sag at all (well, maybe 1/2") on the rare occasion we hitch our EggCamper to it. Our main tv for the EggCamper is our Highlander, and it may sag 2" or so (with the back of the Highlander filled with camping gear, too), but that has no effect on how the Highlander handles.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #17

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
An airbag setup like this would help.
2000-2009 Chevy / GMC Suburban 2500 - Firestone "Ride-Rite" Air Bag Helper Springs [REAR] [2253] | $321.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:29 PM   #18

Colorado
Crystal, I just stood on top of the hitch ball on our Highlander while my wife measured, and my 212 pounds of body weight dropped the hitch exactly 1". I'd be curious, if you could get someone weighing close to the same amount to stand on the hitch ball of your Suburban, to know how far it drops under the same weight. Just curious...
Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #19

Michigan
I am getting around to visiting my old thread. I still haven't sold my sticky trailer (no shocker to all of you I will definitely continue to research and I bet if I get both of my kids to step on bumper they'd fit that hitch weight you described, worth a try!! Thanks everyone

Tags
eggcamper