Best way to add TV to EggCamper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Name: Judy
Trailer: eggcamper
South Dakota
Registry
Best way to add TV to EggCamper?

We'd like to add TV capacity to our EggCamper and I'm just starting to explore options and looking for advice. One idea is getting a hotspot device (myfi or somesuch) and using the computer and hulu or netflix type service. Another is mounting a flat screen tv, for which I assume we'll need an antenna or dish and cable service or be near enough for broadcast TV if that still exists. We've been living overseas on a sailboat for years and are so confused about options available and new tech in general. We plan to use the Egg maybe 6 months a year only so don't want any kind of long term contracts, only prepaid service for the time we're actually on the road. Some of our time will be spent visiting friends in or near big cities, much will be in isolated areas with national and state parks. Any suggestions on hardware, methods, service providers, or availability of access will be greatly appreciated!
Judy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Our tv is a 19-inch lcd that is mounted with a wall mount to the back of the overhead cabinet above the sink. Weinguard sells a combo signal amplifier/antenna jack and 12vdc outlet, also mounted beside the mounting bracket. We use a weinguard non-amplified wing antenna mounted on a painter pole, attached with "U" bolts to the spare tire bracket. If I had it to do over, I think I'd mount the tv on a drop-down mount under the corner cabinet over the bed at the curbside rear corner.

Our data plan would deplete my retirement income if I had to stream tv/video. DVDs is what we watch. At my age I can watch the same ones over and over.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Jim Palmer told me that the best mounting spot for a tv is the end of the cabinet over the sink. He emphasized that the cabinet end should be backed with a good piece of wood. I Dish has (or had?) a month by month plan where you buy the receiver instead of leasing it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper