17' Boler - Door Issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #1

Name: Troy
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Smile 17' Boler - Door Issues

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new Boler owner. Bought it a few months ago and am currently doing a complete recondition of it.

I'm not sure how to go about fixing my door. I bought new hinges from Scamp (however after breaking the bolts off on the hinges that mount to the door, I decided to keep the original hinges that are mounted on the side of the boler. So it's now a combo of half original hinge, half scamp hinge. New bolt, bearings, etc. No change to how the door is sitting on the trailer though, still same issue.

I've done a lot of reading and none of the issues I've found seem to match my issue exactly. I've tried tweaking the hinges. Now it's time to do some serious fixing I think. What should I do?

Here are the pictures: 1978 Boler - Album on Imgur (also a couple bonus pictures of the custom battery box I made)
tchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I love your tongue box! That is awesome...as far as your door, if you do not have any issues with the body bowing out near the belly band then I would suspect the door has lost its shape like mine did due to the interior wood of the door rotting...any sign of water in the door?
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I love your tongue box! That is awesome...as far as your door, if you do not have any issues with the body bowing out near the belly band then I would suspect the door has lost its shape like mine did due to the interior wood of the door rotting...any sign of water in the door?
There was definitely water in the door. When I took it off to play with the hinges, it drained all over my garage floor. Plan to drill some small holes in the bottom to allow drainage. I was thinking that had something to do with it, but unsure of a fix.

I don't see any bowing near the belly band. Perhaps if I take a picture looking down the side and post it?

Thanks, the box was tricky, but it turned out nice. Actually capping it a 24gauge silver metallic, just for more durability. Maybe I'll post a thread on the build progress.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Scamp and Boler hinges have different arm lengths and offset so mixing and matching will not work. You can see the difference in this picture.

If you install the Scamp hinges on the body side you need to redrill all the holes, if you want to reuse your Boler hinges the broken bolt needs to be drilled out (no need to keep the threads in the casting ans a niu and bolt are a better solution) Good chance you need the new brass pivot ball & bolt from the Scamp hinge which will work in the boler hinge

By the way Troy, where in Alberta are you? I am in Calgary

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

Alberta
Hey Ian! Yeah we met! I bought the bolts and key chain from you a couple months ago. I'm just 10 min down road from you. Country Hills. I sent you an email actually a few days ago.

Good info on hinges. Reason I ordered scamp is because the bolt broke off in two holes. Then drilling them out the bit snapped inside the door side hinge. Can't seem to drill the bit out, it's strong. Guess I'm back to trying to get it out so I don't have to risk breaking bolts on the hinge on the shell.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Tags
boler