Battery and inverter for my boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Battery and inverter for my boler

I want to purchase a good single deep cycle battery with an inverter and wondered if I could get some suggestions of which ones? We would use this for 2-5 day trips for single lights and charging phones, etc when dry camping. Canadian tire has has batteries and inverters but the inverters have several different watts.im thinking 1000 watt inverter is enough correct? And the batteries seem to only go up to roughly 200 minutes of use? Solar panels I would assume are an option?
Mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Inverter and Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie View Post
I want to purchase a good single deep cycle battery with an inverter and wondered if I could get some suggestions of which ones? We would use this for 2-5 day trips for single lights and charging phones, etc when dry camping. Canadian tire has has batteries and inverters but the inverters have several different watts.im thinking 1000 watt inverter is enough correct? And the batteries seem to only go up to roughly 200 minutes of use? Solar panels I would assume are an option?
: a single batter and a 1000W inverter will only last u one day but if you were to install at least a 50A solar panel that would keep your battery charged, we run 2X12V batteries with a 1000W inverter and they last us 3 full days, then we need to either run the engine or Generator to recharge, we use for 2 laptops, charging of Camera Batteries, Laptop Batteries, phone battery, Hot Spot for steady Internet service. We do not yet have a solar panel but where thinking a 150W unit will work just fine for us to keep our batteries charged and no noise for neighbours.
We only run our rooftop when we are plugged in otherwise it is the fantastic fan and a open window especially at night when cooling off so we can sleep.
We hardly stay much longer than 3 days anywhere as we travel all the time, share the driving while I still can though yesterday it was 300 miles in a Suzuki X90 2 seater with no AC and it was around 95*F but air movement helps if one is sweating as it cools u off.
Hard part for us to put a solar panel on roof is it is FG roof and I hater more holes than we need up there but so far no leaks. after bout 6 weeks on road things get pretty tight especially when buying junk along the way.
So good luck with what you do, get rid of the 12V stuff and live with your 2 burner stove, if not comfortable build a light metal wall around it, if you have 1" gap it will stay cool in the gap same for wood stove in cabin, as sometimes one cannot get the right distance from wood wall so the 1" gap helps keep the log walls from heating up to the point of burning.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
If all you are powering is lights and phone chargers, and I assume you have a powered vent in the roof, you don't need an inverter. A good 24 or 27 deep cycle battery is fine since you are only using DC current.

A small inverter is going to give you 80% efficiency or so. Then you have to convert back to DC via an AC based charger. Rather pointless if everything is using DC current.

So, my suggestion is save your money and invest it in LED lights, car type phone chargers and if you have the time and the inclination, switch your 3 way switch on the powered vent to a PWM(pulse width modulated) switch. You will likely still come out with money in your pocket and you will be sipping power from the battery.

Remember none of the things listed is used constantly.

Best of luck.

Tags
battery, boler