1978 Surfside - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 82 14 ft Surfside Triple E
Registry
Quote:
So, I've been wondering - seems like there are several "new" Surf Side owners. Does this mean that someone has been hiding SS's in a barn somewhere and suddenly they're being sold, or are these Surf Sides we've seen before and now in the hands of new owners.

I tried and failed a while ago to use the search feature to see if I could find out how many there were on this list, but I could not figure out how to use the search. Couldn't find myself and Jana and others I know are members so I gave up. Anyone feel like giving me a quick non-tech language explanation of how to do that. I couldn't manage to post a picture either for some reason.

Glad to see more Surfs. The front kitchen models seem to be getting popular on the list. I saw one (not the inside) that was supposed to have a bathroom right across from the door. Anybody know if this was a factory variation or a modification by some owner?
Mine has a front kitchen, and straight across from the door is a Porta-Potty Closet. Miriam and I have both posted pictures recently of the insides of ours and you can see the door in those. I would love to see more pictures of the front kitchen types too. Should we start a new topic like Surfside front kitchen pictures wanted?
Catherine H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #42

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Not to be left out. My 13ft. Ventura was built in 1974 in Winkler, Manitoba. Whether it was from the same company I wouldn't know, but seems kinda likely. Bonnie W.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #43

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
Bonnie : Have you posted pictures of the Ventura?
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Bonnie : Have you posted pictures of the Ventura?
We have four pictures of a Ventura in the Albums....need some more exterior shots most definitely!

Ventura Album
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #45

Trailer: 1977 Surfside Triple E TM14
Quote:
I have a line on a Surfside and would like to know from those who own one if anyone has taken a Dry Weight of their unit ?

Does anyone know if all TM 14 Surfsides from Triple E are under 1500 lbs - Dry ?

I was told when I was shopping around for a surfside it was 1600 dry. So I bought our 1977 surfside because of that.
Kathy E.[quote]
Evinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:14 AM   #46

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Thanks Kathy. After I bought our 77 I inspected the trailer from head to toe and found a metal plate on the outside that states the trailer is 1650 lbs.
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #47
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Looked at a 1975 13' Surf Side (Trllium actully) a couple of weeks ago on a RV lot in Vernon,B.C. a couple of weeks ago. They where asking $4500. Only fair condition.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #48

Ontario
Seems steep. My 76 was in good original shape and cost $2,700 in spring of 2004. Now that was In Fort Q'Appelle Saskatchewan, where there would be fewer buyers. But still if it isn't in really good shape you will probably spend a minimum of $800 -$1,500 making it the way you want it. Then you might have too much money in it.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #49

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Trust me when I say that Triple E SurfSides come from a company still in business called Triple E. They are in Winkler, Manitoba. I live a mere 20 minutes from Winkler and know people that work for Triple E. In todays' market they focus on 5th wheel units and motorhomes. Back in the 70's they made the metal or aluminum models and Fiberglass models, although a lot of their Fiberglass models were put together in Gimili, Manitoba (just north of Winnipeg) where Triple E accquired some cheap buildings for use. Anyway, the SurfSides were put together in Gimili and then finished with detail work in Winkler and then shipped to dealers across Canada (mostly, Western Canada and Ontario).
In talking with a person that still works for Triple E (he has for over 30 years) he told me that about 4 years ago they tossed the Fiberglass mold for the doors to the SurfSide units and they still get calls asking about obtaining new doors.

So - SurfSides are not from Winnipeg - they are from a company called Triple E in Winkler, Manitoba and while most SurfSides were produced or made in Gimili, MB the company is based out of Winkler.

I think it's the best Fiberglass made camper from the 70's. However, I am a recent owner and probably a bit biased.
Hmmmm...found that interesting because I WAS SO SURE that my Surfside was manufactured in Winnipeg. Soooo....I checked out the form that was stuck on the back of my closet door listing the specs and stuff (Recreational Vehicle CSA Specification Nameplate) and I found out that it was indeed manufactured in Winnipeg, HOWEVER, it was manufactured by Armor Coach Industries. Well...who'd have thought? Maybe 2 manufacturers?

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Mine has a front kitchen, and straight across from the door is a Porta-Potty Closet. Miriam and I have both posted pictures recently of the insides of ours and you can see the door in those. I would love to see more pictures of the front kitchen types too. Should we start a new topic like Surfside front kitchen pictures wanted?
Catherine,

Great idea! I'd love to see more of that model!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #51

Registry
QUOTE(ericmarlo @ Aug 27 2006, 04:50 PM)

I have a line on a Surfside and would like to know from those who own one if anyone has taken a Dry Weight of their unit ?

Does anyone know if all TM 14 Surfsides from Triple E are under 1500 lbs - Dry ?

I was told when I was shopping around for a surfside it was 1600 dry. So I bought our 1977 surfside because of that.

My Surfside is listed at 1500 lbs Gross Trailer Weight. - Miriam
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 AM   #52

Ontario
I had a chance to check the certificate pasted to the inside of the closet of my 76 Surside and it said Gross Vehicle Weight 1650. This is the kitchen on the side model, gaucho bench in front and has twin propane tanks (apparently from birth). Question is - what does Gross Vehicle Weight mean. is this the weight of the trailer as delivered with no water in its 50(ish) liter water tank and empty propane tanks? Or is a limit that it should weigh with groceries, dog food and suitcases? I think its the former but i really don't know.

The version, optional equipment (double propane tank, spare wheel/tire etc), changes in production materials over time could all contribute to the GVW varying a few hundred pounds I would think.

I suppose Triple E would know how they used the term Gross Vehicle Weight in 1976 as there has been some continuity in the business.

As for the use of the name Armor Industries in Winnipeg, (someone in a previous post said theirs had Armor as the manufacturer) I have heard of others that had Gimli Mb as the place of manufacture. I have heard that the manufacture did take place in a number of different places over the years, but essentially it was always the same Mennonite owned goup/company that made the Surf Side and that is Triple E and still exists in Winkler.

Triple E Recreational Vehicles
Box 1230
Winkler, Manitoba, Canada
R6W 4C4 Tel: 204-325-4361
Fax: 204-325-5241
info@tripleerv.com
Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 AM   #53

Ontario
Taken from the Triple E website - Definitions from the Specifications page concerning weight:

GVWR (GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING) The maximum permissible weight of this trailer. The GVWR is equal to or greater than the sum of the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) plus the net carrying capacity (NCC).

UVW (UNLOADED VEHICLE WEIGHT) The weight of the trailer as built at the factory. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, factory or dealer installed accessories.

NCC (NET CARRYING CAPACITY) The maximum weight of all personal belongings, food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, tongue weight of towed vehicle, factory and dealer installed accessories, etc., that can be carried by this trailer. (NCC is equal to or less than GVWR minus UVW.)
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #54

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
Taken from the Triple E website - Definitions from the Specifications page concerning weight:

GVWR (GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING) The maximum permissible weight of this trailer. The GVWR is equal to or greater than the sum of the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) plus the net carrying capacity (NCC).

UVW (UNLOADED VEHICLE WEIGHT) The weight of the trailer as built at the factory. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh water, LP gas, factory or dealer installed accessories.

NCC (NET CARRYING CAPACITY) The maximum weight of all personal belongings, food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, tongue weight of towed vehicle, factory and dealer installed accessories, etc., that can be carried by this trailer. (NCC is equal to or less than GVWR minus UVW.)

Interesting that Miriam's trailer says Winnipeg as the place of manufacture, mine says Gimili, MB. But yes, Allan they may have had a few different production buildings. All I can say for sure is that Triple E started in Winkler, MB and they still have a very large factory in Winkler and it was started as a Family business and many of the same family and descendants still run the company.
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #55

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I just bought a 1976 Surfside last week. We have been having a blast looking out our front window and seeing it sitting in our driveway. I have also been searching the internet for information on Surfside's and this site seems to have the most info out there. I have read all the postings on this site about the Surfside's and have picked up some tips for our upcoming remodel. I was wondering if anybody has had success painting the interior ensolite. If so what type of paint did you use? What about taking the ensolite down - how would you then resurface the inside (not carpet)!

Jon
Attached Images

Jon K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #56

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Jon, we're glad you're here

One of the best features on FiberglassRV is the powerful search engine (link is in the upper left). I typed in +paint +ensolite and only searched the "All about our Unique Little Trailers" forums: Donna D. search

I'm sure you'll find more info using different search words and searching different forums.

Have fun!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #57

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Welcome Jon My Brother painted the ensolite in his Boler using top quality Acrylic Latex Interior paint. There is a new product I found in the paint store called eT.S.P. that requires no rinceing after washing and prior to painting. Check it out??? Use a long napped roler and it works well. Removing the Ensolite seems a very big job Any seems or tears in the liner can be repaired with D.A.P. Latex caulk in white and daub it with a wet piece of paper towel to give it a stipple finish Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:21 AM   #58

Registry
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I just bought a 1976 Surfside last week. We have been having a blast looking out our front window and seeing it sitting in our driveway. I have also been searching the internet for information on Surfside's and this site seems to have the most info out there. I have read all the postings on this site about the Surfside's and have picked up some tips for our upcoming remodel. I was wondering if anybody has had success painting the interior ensolite. If so what type of paint did you use? What about taking the ensolite down - how would you then resurface the inside (not carpet)!

Jon
Looks WONDERFUL! Can you send us pix of the inside? Great paint-job.

Regarding the ensolite, do you just not like the color or is it damaged? Mine looked like garbage when we first got it, but when we looked at opportunities for replacing it and found them not feasible, I started cleaning (and CLEANING AND CLEANING AND CLEANING AND...). I used every solvent known to man and it actually turned out GREAT!

- Miriam
Old 03-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #59

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Thanks for the great feedback everybody!

I will post some more pics of the inside - we have already torn it apart. It is now a "shell" of it's former self. The ensolite has the tape on all of the seams hanging off and it has stains from the windows leaking. I was unsure of what to clean it with and soapy water does not seem to do anything. After some research and some really good discussions on this site I would like to avoid replacing the ensolite and just cleaning it and fixing/removing the tape.
Attached Images

Jon K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #60

Registry
Jon,

Thanks for the pix! Looks like a nice unit with lots of potential.

You're right about the soapy water - it's a good start but won't begin to touch the grimy areas. The sticky residue from the foam tape is a magnet for dirt, and when it peels off and people "fix it" with various glues, invariably there's stuff that slops over and gets caught in the ensolite grooves which looks bad and attracts even more dirt. The biggest hurdle for me in the cleaning was to get over the fact that I was gonna WRECK IT by putting a solvent on it. Because my ensolite was so destroyed (it had contact cement, wallpaper paste, hot glue gun, at least 2 different kinds of silicone, and a layer of spray granite paint that had to all be removed), I had nothing to lose in trying solvent after solvent. And I found out that even the strongest solvent applied with a brass scrub brush (toothbrush size) and vigourous scrubbing didn't hurt the ensolite. I started with acetone, which softened the plastic a bit while it was wet but returned it to original (and clean) condition when it dried off. I moved eventually to paintbrush stripper - applied with a saturated cotton ball and left to soak in, then liberally splashed on and scrubbed (to get well into the grooves). The results were worth it.

For the most part, your choice of solvent depends on what you're trying to remove. Match the stripper to the sludge. TEST IT FIRST on an inconspicuous area (the inside of a closet perhaps). That'll either give you the piece of mind you need so that you know you're not doing any permanent damage - or it will warn you that what you're using may be too strong. As of today, I haven't found anything that's too strong yet - that ensolite stuff is AMAZING! I'll create another post in a bit that'll outline which solvents I used for what - right now I want to run outside and have a look at the unit to see what cleaning I'm going to have to do this year.

Hope this helps.

- Miriam

Tags
surfside