1974 Surfside How much fabric to buy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
I'm thinking of re-upholstering the cusions on my 1974 Surfside. I was thinking of doing it myself but I'm not sure how much fabric to buy. Does anyone on this forum know how much is needed? I just need fabric for all the cusions not the curtains.

Any help would be great. I'm guessing 10-13 meters would do it but I want to make sure before I go out and buy it.

thanks

Darren in Winnipeg
Darren H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Not sure how big the surfside is but my 13 foot Boler took about 12-14 metres.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you have multiple cushions exactly the same size, take one of each when you go to the fabric store. I've found the fabric service personnel to be extremely helpful in determing how much fabric I need to purchase when I have a visual for them to look at. (Just remember how many of each size you have... and be sure to tell them!)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I'm doing my Trill right now. it depends on the fabric... is there a pattern that has to go a specific direction? I'm using vinyl on the backside of mine and ordered 5 yards (lots left). my fabric does have a pattern so I'm forced to use more. you also don't want to be short... you can always use extra for throw pillows.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #5

The problem is that I will be buying the fabric in Winnipeg while the surfside is at my inlaws in Dauphin (3 hours away) I want to buy all the fabric in Winnipeg and do the upholstering the next time I'm in Dauphin. That's why I need to know how much to buy without bringing in the cushions.

thanks for all your replies.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #6

Registry
mine's a TM-14 with a front kitchen. I'm in St. James if you want to pop but and measure... I should be able to help you out with that too. I also have a few of the old one that I'm not going to use. the fabric is iffy but the foam is OK. I'll be home sewing mine together after 6 PM tonight.

ackroid007@hotmail.com

Quote:
The problem is that I will be buying the fabric in Winnipeg while the surfside is at my inlaws in Dauphin (3 hours away) I want to buy all the fabric in Winnipeg and do the upholstering the next time I'm in Dauphin. That's why I need to know how much to buy without bringing in the cushions.

thanks for all your replies.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #7

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
mine's a TM-14 with a front kitchen. I'm in St. James if you want to pop but and measure... I should be able to help you out with that too. I also have a few of the old one that I'm not going to use. the fabric is iffy but the foam is OK. I'll be home sewing mine together after 6 PM tonight.

ackroid007@hotmail.com
I will ask my wife how much she bought. We picked up some excellent material at a store in Southern Manitoba that was going out of business. 60% off. My wife tried one sample but broke a few needles and uttered a few naughty words. We then had them professionaly done with new vinyl backings and zippers etc. Very pro. job. Total cost with taxes was $290.00 (remember that was with our fabric and their vinyl backing. Still - worth it in every way.
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
It took almost 8 yards for my 13' Trillium (just finished). Ours has the front bathroom closet, so there's only a a half-wide bench seat up front and no top bunk. Don't know how that would translate for your Surfside.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #9

Thanks for all your replies. Our Surfside doesn't have a back kitchen or a bathroom so I think we might need a little more fabric than those who do. I will likely buy 13 yards to be safe so we don't run out. I'm going to look for a fabric that doesn't have a pattern so we don't have to worry about matching up patterns and wasting fabric.

Darren H

Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #10

Registry
there's a fabric place on Berry @ St. Mathews that has tons of upholstery fabric. prices are great too. upholstery fabric is also 56-60 inches wide if that helps with the measuring. make sure its got some sort of backing... so it doesn't fray when you cut or work with it. some of the heavier fabrics have a binding substance sort of melted onto the back to keep the fibers together... hope that makes sense. definitely get a a couple of extra yards. you may not find the same fabric or die-lot again if you run short.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 5500
It depends on whether you run the lengthwise grain from front to back or side to side on the cushions. it also depends on which way your pattern runs in the fabric, and whether you intend to add separate side pieces or not. Generally any kind of pattern or nap to the fabric will require more fabric, and if your pattern is "railroaded" (i.e. runs on the cross grain, rather than the lengthwise grain), you will require a bit more still.

I just had all the cushions in my Trillium 5500 redone, and went with the most efficient fabric layout possible, with a fairly solid looking fabric -- the cushions all zip at the back, with the pattern running from front to back -- no seams in the front, and gussets sewn at the corners to create a nice box shape. Took about 10 meters all told.
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
there's a fabric place on Berry @ St. Mathews that has tons of upholstery fabric. prices are great too. upholstery fabric is also 56-60 inches wide if that helps with the measuring. make sure its got some sort of backing... so it doesn't fray when you cut or work with it. some of the heavier fabrics have a binding substance sort of melted onto the back to keep the fibers together... hope that makes sense. definitely get a a couple of extra yards. you may not find the same fabric or die-lot again if you run short.
Thanks Scott. I went and checked out that fabric place on Berry "Northern Fabrics" By far the best place I have looked so far. Lots of selection and most upholstry fabrics are $9.99 a meter. When I'm ready to do the cushions I will be going there forsure.

thanks again for the info
Old 06-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
Quote:
I'm thinking of re-upholstering the cusions on my 1974 Surfside. I was thinking of doing it myself but I'm not sure how much fabric to buy. Does anyone on this forum know how much is needed? I just need fabric for all the cusions not the curtains.

Any help would be great. I'm guessing 10-13 meters would do it but I want to make sure before I go out and buy it.

thanks

Darren in Winnipeg

Yes.. i have just been in the process of re-doing the covers in our 13ft Boler as well.... I got 13m as for the measurements... but we ended up re-using the vynal on the backs of the cushions... so i will have left over.. I plan on using this as a liner for the new material for the curtons that i got which is thin { Cotton}.

For the window treatments.. i needed 4.5 m.. but got 5 so i have extra for tie backs etc.

Good luck.

if you are going to be sewing and using the vynal... be sure to use at least a #16 sewing needle.. I broke a few & had to go bigger.
Ria. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1980 13 ft
Quote:

thanks

Darren in Winnipeg

Just a thought... do you have a "Lens mill store" by you.? Here in ontario we have them... they also have a huge supply of material... very overwhelming actually with the choices... as there is so much.

good luck
Ria. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Surfside TM14
Quote:
I will ask my wife how much she bought. We picked up some excellent material at a store in Southern Manitoba that was going out of business. 60% off. My wife tried one sample but broke a few needles and uttered a few naughty words. We then had them professionaly done with new vinyl backings and zippers etc. Very pro. job. Total cost with taxes was $290.00 (remember that was with our fabric and their vinyl backing. Still - worth it in every way.
We are in the 'Peg and looking at getting cushions done as well. Would you by chance remember who did the cushions for you? Thanks!

Mel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #16

I just finished the 4 cushions for the dinette. I still have the two bunks to go. I bought the fabric at Northern Fabrics on St. Mathews & Berry St. They have a huge selection. Most of the upholstry fabrics are $9.99 a meter. I bought 10 meters and it seems to be enough for the surfside.

I did the upholstry myself. It was my first time doing such a big sewing project but I think it turned out pretty good. I didn't actually expect them to turn out as good as they did. It took me 4-5 hours a cushion though.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

Darren H
Old 08-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #17

Here are a few pics of my very 1st upholstery job. These are the 4 cushions for the dinette in my 1976 Surfside. Thanks to Scott S for letting me know about Northern Fabrics here in Winnipeg. The fabric I used was white on the back so it was easy to draw out my pattern with pencil. I also decided to use velcro instead of zippers. I'm really happy with the way they turned out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cushions1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	15044

Click image for larger version

Name:	cushions3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	15046
Attached Thumbnails
cushions2.jpg   cushions4.jpg  

Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Nice Work!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #19

Registry
very nice... love the groovy "Austin Powers" pattern too. really good workmanship for someone that does sew often. bravo!
Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
Hey Darren - want to do another set? My dad just bought a Surfside there and I think I might get the job. I did mine with the salvaged vinyl and zippers but I love the velcro idea!!

So many things you learn and would do different the second time...love seeing how everyone tackles this stuff!
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside