New Surfside Owner few random questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Triple E Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
New Surfside Owner few random questions

Hi all:

I'm a proud new owner of a 14 foot 1978 Surfside.

With no experience in this stuff, we've quickly realized we're in over our head... but look forward to many family memories.

We've got more things working, but I'm hoping some experts can help with newbie out on a few things.

1) The hose hookup adapter is broken. I've tried googling the part, but not knowing how to describe it or where to look has proven challenging. Any tips on where to look, or what it is called

2) I know I can run off of battery power, but I have no idea how to do it. How should I do this? Previous own said it can run off of my car battery, other than the truck tail light hookup connector, I don't see any way for the trailer to connect

3) I'm having trouble getting the fridge to work. I don't hear anything happening when in 110v mode and turning the 0 - 10 dial on the back of it. Is there anything I'm missing that needs to be done to turn it on?

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!
minimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
1. Is it something like this? RV City Water Fill Connection - PPL Motor Homes

3. If the fridge is one of the propane/110V types, you're not going to hear much; there are no moving parts. The 110V just runs a resistance heater, which heats one portion of a very subtly designed bit of plumbing containing ammonia; the ammonia moves from here to there, producing cooling. (Obviously, my understanding is at a pretty primitive level ) Operation of the fridge is a frequent topic her eon the Forum, and a search will produce lots of info.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

British Columbia
1) It doesn't look like that, but that gives me some part names to look for.

3) Ah makes sense. I'll go play some more, and do some searching.

Thanks!!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Remember too, the refrigerator may take a lot longer to cool down than you expect. Don't keep opening the door to check! Get an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a lead or sensor and put that inside the refrigerator. In my Scamp's case the trailer must be level for the refrigerator to work efficiently (like it takes twice as long to cool down if it's one-half a bubble off... level to the bottom of the refrigerator).

Let us know how it goes.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimatt View Post
I've tried googling the part, but not knowing how to describe it or where to look has proven challenging. Any tips on where to look, or what it is called
Welcome Matt,
(That sounds weird.)

A picture is worth a thousand words. Take a picture, post it and ask what it is and where to find one. We've resolved many a thingamajig and doohickie that way.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Welcome Matt,
(That sounds weird.)

A picture is worth a thousand words. Take a picture, post it and ask what it is and where to find one. We've resolved many a thingamajig and doohickie that way.
hahah

Sorry for the slow reply - I've been distracted fixing stuff (will post renovation pics shortly), and getting ready to welcome a new kid. Busy times!

Thank you for the tips on #3, the fridge is working great now.

For #1, the water hookup, pics are attached. Any suggestions on what I should be replacing, or better yet advice on how I can fix it myself would be much appreciated!

Thanks again!

matt
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg   photo (1).jpg  

photo (2).jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

I wonder if it could be a broken one of these?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

British Columbia
That looks like the one. To fix, do I need to replace the whole unit? Or can I get a new dewhicky thingy (the piece in my hand that the hose screws in to)?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #9

You'll need the whole shebang. Yours is broken, and I don't see how it could be fixed. Looks like you'll have to drill out the existing rivets,then rivet (or bolt) in a new one, using that putty-like butyl tape behind it to seal it.

Before you buy a new one, take a look at the backside of the old one and see how the plumbing is connected to it; I suspect there are several variations, with different types of pipe connections.

Also, shop around a bit; $25 seems a bit steep to me.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You will most likely have to get the whole thing. You can switch the cover / door so your old one matches.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #11

British Columbia
Thanks all - will do.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you have a local RV lot they will no doubt have a parts department. That's where they make the serious money. A visit there will most likely yield a rather thick catalog that you can then spend hours drooling over and help you identify all the whatchamacallits. Buy a couple of things you need and get to known the parts guy. It will be time well spent. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Matt, here is a link to the parts Catalog that BC RV places such as Fraserway use. Have found it helpful in figuring out what my replacement options are on various items and shopping around.

Re your question on running items off of battery power - does your trailer have its own battery? Does it have a power converter? If so you should be able to run any of the 12volt items in your trailer off the battery - dont recommend running your fridge 12v though as they are real power hogs. If the trailer doesnt have a battery then I suspect the only way the previous owner was doing it was by plugging the trailers tow connection into the tow vehicle and draining down the tow vehicle battery.

There is a Surf Side owners manual here looks like they originally built the trailers to run the 12 volt off the tow vehicle only- something I would consider changing.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
If you have a local RV lot they will no doubt have a parts department. That's where they make the serious money. A visit there will most likely yield a rather thick catalog that you can then spend hours drooling over and help you identify all the whatchamacallits. Buy a couple of things you need and get to known the parts guy. It will be time well spent. Good luck, Raz
I wil give that a go - thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #15

British Columbia
Thank youCarol - very usefull link!

It does not have a batter - yes, should run off truck battery as I understand. I couldn't get the manual link that you sent to work... Do you mind re-sending?

It does have a converter, and with it hooked up to the car the trailer tail lights work... But not the interior lights. Would love to see the manual in case I'm missing something.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Matt the main Document center for this forum is located here. Lots of great folks have scanned and uploaded manuals for most trailers and appliances etc. Great resource.

The manuals that have been uploaded for the Surfsides are here. Hope it works this time.

Suspect you are going to find as other Surfside owners have that you are better of in regards to flexibility & reliability & longevity to put a battery on the trailer itself.

You may want to check to see if you have a blown fuse which may be inline on the trailers wiring someplace (manual may help on that) or in the converter itself. I have to unscrew the cover off my converter to see where there are 4 different fuses that look after various items - you dont want to know how many hours I wasted trying to fix a problem when I first got the trailer before I discovered the fuses in the converter or the one that is inline on the wiring coming into the trailer but buried under the wall covering ;-))

Good luck and I hope you get out and enjoy your new to you trailer while the weather is being as great as it currently is!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #17

British Columbia
Indeed. And thank you again!

I have some renovations to finish first. Painting all cabinets, replacing all hardware, hardwood laminate. Lots to do but fun! Will post pics soon.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #18

British Columbia
Forgot to post my reno video. Looking forward to painting the outside this summer

Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #19

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Whoa! I want to hire you to work on our trailer! At that pace, everything will be done before I know it! It looks fabulous, BTW!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
No wonder you're thin.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside