Anyone towing a Trillium with A BMW X3? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
Anyone towing a Trillium with A BMW X3?

We bought our first trailer, a 1977 Trillium 4500 last year, without a tow vehicle. The owner delivered to our home and we've been researching and hunting for a used TV through the winter. Are currently closing a deal on a 2005 BMW X3, which according to what I've found online, is rated to pull 3500 lbs which I figure should be fine. The trailer has trailer brakes included which we will be hooking up. Anyone have any info to share about this vehicle before we close the deal tomorrow? We wanted the smallest, lightest, and most fuel efficient vehicle we could find that would be a joy to drive to and from work, but could also handle towing our new/old trailer for weekends and weeklong trips in Canada and the US. (By the way, it's also blue....matching our new decals and tire/tank covers! Bonus!!!)
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I don't own/tow with an X3, but this sounds like a match made in Heaven to me. Lots of redundancy in the towing capacity department and a sweet ride all the time.

Have fun!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
WOW, thank you for thinking and asking ahead. As mentioned, at least from specs, it sounds perfect, but I suggest that you find some sites for that particular vehicle and find out if there are any recalls and/or known problems.

I suspect that a 11 y.o. BMW will have a few kilometers on the clock. Can you get a CarFax report? I always do so before buying.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieB View Post
Are currently closing a deal on a 2005 BMW X3,
An X3!!!! Well I am truly envious.

On the Airforums the X3's get great reviews and you will be pleased to know that many of those X3's are towing much larger and heavier trailers than your Trillum 4500. When the time comes we too will be considering an X3 as a TV for our trailer.

Please post some pics of your rig when you get it all set up.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Since I know nothing about an X3, I can't comment on it as a tow.

But I would like to invite you to add your Trillium to the serial number list. It is a kind of ongoing history of the brand. It started out as a way to help identify the year of Trilliums by their serial number. At over 100 trailers, the list is getting kinda long, but there is always room for more.

Take a look:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post441176

If you want to add your trailer, please post a few pictures of both the inside and outside of your trailer, as well as a picture of the data sheet that should be on the inside of your closet door.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You might want to check one other detail before signing. Some vehicles list a maximum frontal area on trailers. The greater the frontal area the greater the drag. Think of sticking your hand out the window when you were a kid, getting your arm moved up, down or back based on the hand position.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that the frontal area thing is fairly recent. The X3 he is looking at is a 2005.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think that the frontal area thing is fairly recent.
It's in my 94 Ranger manual.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Frontal area restrictive advisories have been around since at least the '70's, when true "compacts" first really hit the American scene.

Popular Mechanics did annual reports on tow vehicles, and frontal area "limits" for smaller cars were often reported. See for example the entries for the Maverick and others on page 156 in the March 1974 edition at this link.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #10

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Quebec
Didn't end up buying the X3. Had it inspected by our favourite mechanic who found a suspicious oil leak that he figured would be very expensive to investigate and fix. Since the car already has 170,000 km on it, we decided to pass on this vehicle. So the hunt continues! Will attach photos of trailer and TV when the dust settles!
BarbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My boss had an X5. Every time he took it in for service, it was at least $1000. It didn't seem to mater how trivial the problem was.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #12
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My boss had an X5. Every time he took it in for service, it was at least $1000. It didn't seem to mater how trivial the problem was.
I have found there is a huge amount of savings in auto repair when I do it myself of go to a quality independent mechanic. My independent mechanic has such a good reputation that all the big car dealers in the city send him their "problem vehicles" to problem solve/fix. In his youth and just out of school he was picked up by BMW as a mechanic.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
MC1

Ontario
Days later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieB View Post
Didn't end up buying the X3. Had it inspected by our favourite mechanic who found a suspicious oil leak that he figured would be very expensive to investigate and fix. Since the car already has 170,000 km on it, we decided to pass on this vehicle. So the hunt continues! Will attach photos of trailer and TV when the dust settles!
How is your TV search coming along BB?

Many of us here have been following the TV trends for decades and have a very good idea of how to choose a good TV. Fill us in on your progress. Would luv to help you with a short list of TV's that have a solid history of long term towing success.

Tags
trillium