Questions from new Boler owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
Rather than going to the trouble of a sealed and vented battery box, get yourself a Optima battery Car, Marine, & RV Batteries | OPTIMABATTERIES they are totally sealed and have no venting. You can even mount these batteries upside down if you want.

Actually one should read the fine print on installation of the Optima Battery carefully .... as some owners here found out the hard way the no venting is not actually correct
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #22

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdog View Post
The website doesn't mention any dealers, etc. in Canada. Any thoughts there? I do like this idea if it's feasible. Makes the wiring so much easier and could still put it in the front under the bench.
Jim 73 Boler from Grand Prairie

I would try some specialty auto shops (speed shop).

Old 11-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
I've had a few people here warn about 'sealed' batteries and advised to shy away from them. Speed shops, etc. are pretty rare this far north maybe on a trip to the south I can ask around. It's a long winter....

Remember, we consider Winnipeg to be down in the Banana Belt...
drdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #24

Manitoba
In a failure "event", such as massive over charging or short circuit, a Optima battery can "vent". This would constitute a catastrophic failure and the likelyhood of this happening is unlikely under "normal" use. I have used a Optima battery in my basement workshop for over 5 years. I use it to power all of my 12V projects and charge it several times per month. It has never vented anything and there is no corrosive gasses or corrosion evident on any of the wires or stuff adjacent to it. For several months, I had it laid on it's side while using it for another project... no leaks or other issues.

I am sure if you consistently do something stupid, you could cause a problem, but you would have to try hard. Under real-world use in a Camper you will be fine.

Try a off-road 4X4 truck shop. They could have what you need. The Optima is also promoted as shock proof and is often seen in off-road trucks. There are bound to be a couple of off-road 4X4er in the Yukon!!

And, yea, I did pickup some bananas today (at the Safeway).
Old 11-30-2014, 01:04 AM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post
In a failure "event", such as massive over charging or short circuit, a Optima battery can "vent". This would constitute a catastrophic failure and the likelyhood of this happening is unlikely under "normal" use. I have used a Optima battery in my basement workshop for over 5 years. I use it to power all of my 12V projects and charge it several times per month. It has never vented anything and there is no corrosive gasses or corrosion evident on any of the wires or stuff adjacent to it. For several months, I had it laid on it's side while using it for another project... no leaks or other issues.

I am sure if you consistently do something stupid, you could cause a problem, but you would have to try hard. Under real-world use in a Camper you will be fine.

Try a off-road 4X4 truck shop. They could have what you need. The Optima is also promoted as shock proof and is often seen in off-road trucks. There are bound to be a couple of off-road 4X4er in the Yukon!!

And, yea, I did pickup some bananas today (at the Safeway).
There's more than one type of Optima battery. Some have vents.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:47 AM   #26

Manitoba
I would recommend a Optima D34/78, P/N 8014-045
This battery is 10.018" Long, 6.886" Wide, 7.841" High and Weighs 43.5 lbs.

This is a 870 amp battery (MCA (BCI 32 Deg F))

The Optima data indicates that this is a sealed, leak prook battery, but it does have "safety valves" that will open and allow battery gases to escape if the battery is overcharged. These safety valves are normally closed and only open if there is excessive pressure inside the battery. This is a safety feature to prevent the battery from rupturing in the event of a catastrophic condition like excessive overcharging or internal short circuit of the battery. Under normal use and operating conditions, the safety valves are closed and no venting of the battery occures.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #27

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Walmart and Canadian Tire sell Optima Batteries.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #28

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
JKMBoler,
i have seen batteries expand in cold weather
would it vent in cold conditions?
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #29

Manitoba
If a battery expands or bulges in cold weather, it is because it has frozen. This will damage the battery and render it junk.

A battery can be frozen if it is discharged and subjected to freezing temperatures. The acid in a battery is partially converted to water when the battery is discharged. Reconverted to acid when it is charged. It is very important to store lead acid batteries in a charged state, do not allow a battery to sit in a discharged state for any period of time (in cold weather it will freeze). This will allow the plates inside the battery to oxidize or scale up and decrease the capacity of the battery, resulting is reduced power output and life of the battery.

Batteries can last anywhere from 2 years to 10+ years. I just replaced (today) the battery in my 2002 Chrysler for the first time so this one lasted 12 years. The battery in my wifes Jetta only lasted 3.5 years, so you never know

And, no, it should not vent in this condition, but, I have seen frozen batteries crack the case and acid could leak out the cracks when the battery thaws.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #30

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Battery is best outside or in a vented box great advice above, due to fumes;

They make a bottomless rivets for marine use they will not let the water or drafts in; we have had rivets to fix and more to do they come in common head and counter sink head for flush fit the closed end works better than regular rivets

We have kept the original gelcoat as it is low maintenance they make colour match gelcoat kits large kit is small needed a couple of them from local marine store

Some holes had to fill with two part epoxy and then predrilled and rivet

Old 11-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew78 View Post
JKMBoler,
i have seen batteries expand in cold weather
would it vent in cold conditions?
AGM batteries do not freeze, according to several AGM battery manufacturers.
We have a Lifeline GPL 4DL AGM Mobile 12Volt 210AH.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #32

Name: Phil & Margot
Trailer: 1982 Boler 17' 2002 Honda Odyssey. Replaced with a 2010 Odyssey
Ottawa, Ontario
Just as an aside...I have read where some have used two 6v batteries wired in series. What are the benefits of doing this? More amps? Last longer? Is the extra cost worth it?

Thanks
Phil

Tags
boler