'77 Scamp 13 - Wood rot, frame, and axle repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

Name: LISA
Trailer: Scamp
TX
'77 Scamp 13 - Wood rot, frame, and axle repair

Hey All,
I'm a new member to this forum, but have been reading posts for a while! I bought a '77 Scamp 13 a couple months ago knowing I'd need to replace the axle. Unfortunately I found some wood rot in the back floor, caused by a few unpatched rivet holes. I was all geared up to repair the floor with CPES and epoxy filler when I found a small rusted-out hole (about 1in across) in the trailer frame, directly below the wood rot. The hole was not visible from below, but seems to have formed in the spot where floor was bolted to frame.

Now I'm shifting gears to find a welding shop that will reinforce the frame and replace my axle. I'd like to order directly from Dexter or a dealer here in Houston. Does someone have the exact specs of the 2200lb torsion axle from Dexter?

It looks like I will need to pull up the back dinette floor entirely now, to reinforce the frame below. That seems beyond my skillset, as I don't have the woodcutting materials. Has anyone had flooring replaced at an RV shop and knows the cost of replacing and refiberglassing to shell?

Thanks so much for the advice!
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0907.jpg   IMAG1125.jpg  

IMAG1158.jpg   IMAG1157.jpg  

ScottishScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Have you considered the option of pulling the shell, have the local shop build an entirely new frame, using the old one as their model? Since you need to replace the floor and axle anyway, and do some fairly extensive reinforcement of the frame, might this not be easier, more effective, longer lasting, and not THAT much more expensive? Trailer frames seem to be pretty cheap.

Just something I would look into before going too much further.

By the way, welcome.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

welcome to the group and yes to lyle s suggestions.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
While it is possible to replace your axle with a 2200 pound axle, it would not be as original. Your trailer came with a 1200 pound leading arm axle.
What criteria did you employ to determine your needs for axle replacement or for what frame repairs are really needed?
Of course a new 2200 pound axle and a new frame would be nice, but so would a new shell and new appliances.
I have dragged forty year old cars and trailers out of farmer's fields for projects or restoration, but then I do all my own work.

If I were going to hire all the work done, I would instead save much expense and aggravation by buying a finished car or trailer or at least one which fit my skill set and my tool box.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
repairs

Floyd you have the correct ideas I keep my old cars going with bandaids and a very smart mechanic who can figure out anything. I certainly wouldn't give up on that trailer frame.

everything with the help and interest of a skilled guy can be made new again! in my younger days I used to justify a new car by the need of new tires all that other stuff I was kidding myself!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Looking at how the entry door is sagging, which could be caused by frame rusting, I would check the entire frame before going any further. Shop labor rates for this type work , both frame and floor replacement, usually run $70 to $125 per hour. Good luck with your project. Be sure you are aware of all of the issues you need to address. If you need major repair work, paying someone else to do it could add up quickly.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp