There's a hole in my Boler my Boler my Boler - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #41

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Just need to get the leg right. Probably have it swing up from the foot of the lounger. Also wanted to put some info out there about cutting glas.
The 3rd tool on the table is a Sonic Crafter from Rockwel. Several companies make these cutters. Far as I see they work like a cast cutter.
The blade vibrates about a 1/4 inch stroke. I use the bi metal blade to cut
about anything from a pocket hole in a 2x4 to nails. It does the best job I've ever done at cutting glas and I've cut quite a bit with other equipment, very little dust because the cut is narrow and the blade doesn't throw it around as much as rotating blade , quite accurate and versitile.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG859.jpg   IMG860.jpg  

IMG861.jpg   IMG863.jpg  

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #42

Name: Gord
Trailer: 1981 Boler
Ontario
I have a 1981 Boler and I see from your pics that there is a air conditioner installed. Any pictures showing the outside and info would be big help to me.
thanks. Nice work you have done.
Golin
golin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #43

Registry
Hey Golin, be happy to get some pics and explain the process I went through. Pretty simple.
These pics are the finish for the time being on the front storage/lounger.
I haven't decided on the finish for the front of the drawer so I'm gonna leave it. I may put in another brace for the folder up counter later too. But I'm calling it done for now. Need to focus on Freddy's (our dog) diner.
Freddy came with the name. We adopted him 2 years ago when we was 2 and 1/2. The compartment at the bottom of the closet is his. pics of progress soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG873.jpg   IMG876.jpg  

IMG874.jpg   IMG249.jpg  

Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #44

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by golin View Post
i have a 1981 boler and i see from your pics that there is a air conditioner installed. Any pictures showing the outside and info would be big help to me.
Thanks. Nice work you have done.
Golin
The first picture shows a standard small window air conditioner mounted in the back of the dinette area. It is secured with a strap (look closely) that has threaded ends through the floor. You can see the nuts holding in the second picture. Ac needs to circulate outside and inside air separately.
inside is not an problem but because the unit is mounted totally inside some air routing is necessary. Notice the 2 white things on the side of the ac in the first pic. Those allow air to be drawn up from under the trailer via the holes in the floor in the second pic. The air is then blown out the rear of the Boler through another screened hole which I forgot to take a pic of (will edit, maybe tomorrow). I have never gotten around to creating a water drain but it's only been a problem a couple of times in really humid areas but would be a necessity in Ont.
The good,, is the area is usually unused so it isn't in the way and works well.
The Bad, access to controls, but I see there are remote ones out now, and holes in the unit. Holes don't bother me cause they are easy to close as things change but do bother some people.
Hope this helps. If you don't understand something, just say.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG850.jpg   IMG877.jpg  

Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #45

Registry
Here is the pic of the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG878.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #46

Registry
Here is the lower closet mod from start to finish except for the door.
Freddy's Diner has a place for his leash, a couple of his favorite clothing items as well as his food and water dishes. The first few pics are self explanatory down to pic 6 where the bowls are sitting on the shelf.
At this point I realized they had to be lower into the shelf. I used some plastic containers to make the mold for the bowls and cut down the shelf opening another couple of inches so the bowls sat flush with the bottom of the opening. Then it was just a matter of glasing the mold into place and smoothing everything out with some bondo and a couple coats of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG797.jpg   IMG864.jpg  

IMG865.jpg   IMG866.jpg  

IMG868.jpg   IMG869.jpg  

IMG870.jpg   IMG871.jpg  

IMG883.jpg   IMG884.jpg  

Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #47

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I love it! Impressive and informative thread. Not sure if I like the potti or the doggy diner better. Hmmm think I'll go with the potti because when our standard schnauzer gets a drink her beard re-deposits half a bowl of water on the floor.

But that idea of a place for storage of her food, leash, and dishes looks like it would work great in our scamp.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #48

Registry
Hey RogerDat, Thank-you for the comments and
the support of the fourm members in general.
I really look forward to sharing progress of a mod.
Keeps me going and to some extent helps me stay
on task. Very happy with the results of both mods.
I have a couple more to do but ran outta time
this year.
Had the opprotunity of showing off to one of the
fourm members. Would have never believed it but
they live 1/4 mile from me. I don't know their user
name or would give them a shout out!!

Hope to post some travel pics of our
winter holiday to SoCal starting end of the month.
So a wash and wax, check over the tug and done!
Fred
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #49

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Looks like you aren't scared to take on a challenge. In building a stand for the fridge so I can get it in and see how it's all gonna fit. I hope to building a fiberglass tub liner for the passengers side rear hatch beside the batterie on my CT. Keep up the great work and posting the pictures. I have enjoyed reading about your progress.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #50

Registry
Hey Chris, sorry about being so slow to get back to ya,,,,,,,
Leavin Sunday and lots to do yet. Thank-you for the comments.
Do I understand correctly, your putting a bathtub in your CT?
I'll be sure to follow that one, talk about not scared to tackle a
project!!!
Looks like I'll be putting another hole somewhere in the Boler. Marilyn has claimed the drawer saying it's "almost big enough" !!!
But I have some ideas cooking,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG876.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #51

Georgia
Registry
No not a bath tub I meant a liner for the hole in my seat. Sorry for the confusion. I seem to be good at not explaining myself very well.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #52

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
No not a bath tub I meant a liner for the hole in my seat. Sorry for the confusion. I seem to be good at not explaining myself very well.
A lot of UHaul owners take these out to free up the additional space. You may find someone here (over time) that is pitching these. I'm still looking for a front bin as it was taken out by UHaul for the swamp cooler water tank.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #53

Georgia
Registry
I am going to try and learn to mold the fiberglass to build a bin for the area beside the batterie in the very back seat. And also looking at a roof air unit as opposed to the window unit under the front right seat. If that works out I will be doing one for the front right as well. Hope I can do good work like here on these mods.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #54

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I am going to try and learn to mold the fiberglass to build a bin for the area beside the batterie in the very back seat. And also looking at a roof air unit as opposed to the window unit under the front right seat. If that works out I will be doing one for the front right as well. Hope I can do good work like here on these mods.
You Tube has some good how to videos including gel coat.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Hey Chris, I agree with Thomas that utube has lots of info,,but it's kinda like book knowledge,,theroy.
My advice to you is to pickup a small amount of resin, hardner, mat and some of the tools in the videos and learn by hands on.
Release agent is knowledge you'll need too.
To start get a used margarine container and make and interior mold of it.
The margarine makes a good release agent and you get to handle the material. Most of what I have learned has been because I started and wouldn't stop. And like most REAL (lol) men I hate instructions so it took a little longer
Fred
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #56

Registry
Well put 500 miles on today.
From our home covered in about 2ft of snow to Portland or.
Truck and trailer are a mess!!
Next couple of days are easy, wash unit and cruise over to the Tillamook cheese factory for a nite then a nite on the beach at Coos bay.
Even supposed to get some sun!
Fred
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #57

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Wow- Tillamook to Coos Bay in one day!

How EVER will you be able to do all the Tourist Attractions along the way?

I love the Oregon Coast, not just for the scenery but because there are so many wonderfully schlocky tourist traps scattered thereon...and I say that with the greatest sincerity, not to mention with pride as a Native Oregonian.

If nothing else, do be sure and hit the "Ripley's Believe it or Not!" museum in Newport along with the "Madame Tussaud's" next door.

And don't forget to bring home something made of Myrtlewood!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #58

Registry
This threads turning into a travel blog so I'll continue in general chat with a thread called "a hole on the highway". Lol
Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #59

Registry
Thought I would do an update on the mods in this thread.
The major one was the front bunk area.
Marilyn is very happy with the drawer holds all the clothes she brought with her including shoes for our 3months away. The only challenge is that the drawer is so big that sometimes she has trouble finding a particular garment.
The unfinished area in the front by the counter has our toiletry bags, laundry bag and other miscellaneous items and prior this area was viturouly unused!
The portapot has been a welcome addition and the storage areas created around it are very user friendly. The only challenge there is we're experiencing moisture getting into the wood in one spot.
Freddy's Diner is a big hit! No more looking for his leash, kicking over the water dish in the night, or wondering where his raincoat is.
More to come
Fred
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #60

Georgia
Registry
So the removal of the toilet is the top access? Or does the front of the cabinet fold down to let it slide out the front? The AC unit in my CT mounts where your toilet is but I would like to do the same thing in the center compartment of it for a porta pottie like you have.

Where is the moisture you spoke of coming from? Do you think putting a layer of fiberglass in the inside of the enclosure with a fresh air vent to the outside under the floor would be a good idea? Or possibly one of then solar vent caps threw the wall to keep the area ventilated better?

Thanks again for sharing your ideas and results. It gives me motivation to get into mine and make it more user friendly!

Tags
boler