Storing Boler in the winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 76 Boler 13 ft
Storing Boler in the winter

Our boler is located in BC (lower mainland) where there can be lots of moisture in the air during the winter months.

In the past years, when we are not using it we would throw a trap over the boler and store it outside. While this does keep the boler from getting mildew on the outside I find that every year I have to go in with a bottle of Tilex Mold and Mildew remover to clean the inside insolite walls as it gets moldy. Its a couple hrs of scrubbing to get it all clean up again.

What is the best way to prevent mildew when storing outside?
khoa l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Many of us including myself use this chemical dehumidifier.
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/dri-z-air-pot/6000016948248

Depending, you may have to refill it a couple times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
You can put a Damp-Rid container or two or similar in there and may need to dump water periodically.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Thanks all. I'll pick one up soon. Its really the winter damp months that are the worse. Seeing that spring is here and she'll be sailing soon we shouldn't have any mold issues till the fall.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO: DON'T cover it. open (a crack) windows and vent. Keeps humidity level equal to outside conditions...

We're in Maple Ditch close to the Mighty (muddy) Fraser....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post

We're in Maple Ditch close to the Mighty (muddy) Fraser....
Ha, ha. Yeah, I'm familiar with the 'Ditch'. Problem is if I don't somehow cover it, i'll get mildew stains on the outside plus I'll get pine needles and other depris all over it.

I have covered it and open up the windows and vents but I'm sure its not the same airflow as uncovered.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I guess I lucky or something. I have a nice carport that the trailer get's stored in when not in use. Some windows are open a bit and roof vent is open a bit. Thing I want to do is keep air moving through the trailer. When the trailer was stored like this cold weather I put a space heater inside and kept the temperature over 40°F. This along with Dri-Z-Air kept the mildew out.
Now during cold weather the trailer is in the sunny south soaking up sun while we're getting our vitamin D fix.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #8

I do have an electric heater that I stuff inside. I think that helps if I'm on top of it. Otherwise the mold starts and once that happens its tough to contain. Maybe the combo heater and Dri-Z will be the trick. Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We use the Damp Rid also.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:43 AM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
You should not put a tarp as that will do more damage than good. You need a breathable cover.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:56 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My trailer spends the winter ( summer, fall and spring ) under a cedar tree, under the Capilano Cloud, here on the North Shore of Vancouver. You know it's wet here. If I had a choice it would be under a roof, but I don't have that choice.
I have no breathable cover and would never use a tarp.
I have two Dri-Z-Air containers in the trailer ( each is good for about 10 square feet ). I add crystals several times each winter, and dump the liquid collected every week or two. When it warms up, from time to time, I will turn on a small cube heater and crack a window and open the Maxxfan.
All the cupboards are open and cushions etc. are propped up to allow air to circulate. I have no mold in the trailer.
I also have no leaks.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We have used one of these in our trilium for the past two winters here in Victoria. We leave one window slightly open. We have a tarp, but it is raised off the top of the trailer by about 6 inches to help with air flow.

CAFRAMO "STORE-DRY" HEATER 110V

The Stor-Dry low wattage warm air circulator is the �must have� product for the winterization season. The model 9406 Stor-Dry combats mold, mildew and musty odors in any boat that is closed up or winterized. This dual action air dryer uses a low wattage heating element and internal fan to both heat and circulate the air. The heat and circulation prevents stale air pockets which in turn prevents mold or mildew forming on the interior surface of the boat.

Part Number: 28-1026
$ 84.95

Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
I leave my 17 ft. Boiler outside untarped in these frozen snow covered winters. All cupboard doors, the fridge and bunkers are opened, the seat covers in the house, in plastic. All towels, sheets and clothing and paper stuff in clear garbage bags. Sealed. In the trailer.

At the first sign of impending spring I trudge through the snow and crack open windows, look around and think how lucky I am to have my Boiler.

When it REALLY is spring and after I get over the cold I usually get for jumping the gun, I go into the trailer and spray it with Mold Control that I buy from Home Depot or Home Hardware. I let this sit overnight and then wash it down with dish soap and water.

I do this every year even though there is no mould as a precaution. If there is any painting or touch ups needed I use a mould control paint.

So far, so good.
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
We have used one of these in our trilium for the past two winters here in Victoria. We leave one window slightly open. We have a tarp, but it is raised off the top of the trailer by about 6 inches to help with air flow.

Part Number: 28-1026
$ 84.95

Interesting product. Will investigate. I've heard through another user that using the Dri-Z-air and refilling it runs him about $60+ a winter. Well, maybe this is a better route.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa l View Post
Interesting product. Will investigate. I've heard through another user that using the Dri-Z-air and refilling it runs him about $60+ a winter. Well, maybe this is a better route.
Not a chance. I bought a large 8 lbs. container of crystals for $19 in the fall and it's still 3/4 full. Maybe you could spend that much buying 4 oz. packets at Camping World.
I had one of those flying saucers shown above. A buddy who has a boat gave it to me. I could see no evidence that it was actually in working condition so I tossed it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Dri Z Air substitute.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not a chance. I bought a large 8 lbs. container of crystals for $19 in the fall and it's still 3/4 full. Maybe you could spend that much buying 4 oz. packets at Camping World.
I had one of those flying saucers shown above. A buddy who has a boat gave it to me. I could see no evidence that it was actually in working condition so I tossed it out.
Good to know Glenn. $19 and still 3/4 full is sounds alot more reasonable.

Tags
boler