77 Boler 13 Restoration - Our first Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler Voyager 13
PA
77 Boler 13 Restoration - Our first Egg

My wife and I just bought our very first camper. We started out just wanting something vintage as it's going to pull dual duty, family camper and a Cupcake Camper for our bakery. Local outdoor markets, parties and such. We thought we'd end up with something "Shasta like" but then she found a Boler listing on Craig's list. So last Thu I drove to Long Island and picked her up.

I am planning on a total restoration, will be posting pics here and no doubt be looking to those who have done this before me for advise. I start tearing her down tomorrow, wish me luck!
DaveWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome to the forum and looking forward to pictures (before, after, and during). Good luck with the renovations.

Did you see this thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/lemon-48454.html
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

PA
Thanks for the link. Here's a pic from last Thu when I picked it up.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

PA
Sorry, apparently I'm not to good at posting pics. I'll have to figure that out soon!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #5

PA
Slow start...Took the AC unit off the roof today. The top rain cover is 80% busted/gone. Have to test the unit to see if it works. Not even sure the manufacture of the unit. It has a water tube, that looks like it was hooked up to a pump at one time, that runs inline with the wiring harness. Not even sure if it runs on freon or some kind of evaporator type. Thinking I might find a small wall 110v wall unit and install it if this roof unit turns out to be a turd. Don't feel like dropping 7 bills on an RV roof unit.

The main reason I took the AC off was so the camper would fit into my outer garage. It's still about 3 inches too tall. I thought about letting the air out of the tires but instead went to Harbor Freight and bought a tarp and some bungee cords.

Anyone have any insight on the roof AC units. I can take a pic of it, maybe someone can identify what/who it is.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

PA
Parts - Scamp to Boler

Are there any Scamp 13' parts that I should beware of that just won't work on the Boler? I have lots of questions, I'll just post and see if anyone wants to chime in.

DOOR HINGES - I'd like to totally replace the door hinges but I notice Scamp has a 3 hole mount on the body side of the door and my Boler only has 2. I figure this should be as easy as drilling a 3rd hole. Scamp probably did this to add strength to that mounting area. I was thinking about backing the bolts with a small piece of sheet metal to add strength from the inside. My OEM hinges are rusted with worn bushings allowing the door to sag.

Ensulate - That foamy stick on coating inside all the walls. I want to tear it all out because its sticky and I'm afraid painting over it is a cheap fix that might haunt me later. Can I use the sivler bubble wrap stuff from Scamp? I think U-line also has this same stuff in big rolls. In a perfect world I'd like to use headline adhesive to install the silvery bubble stuff then again use the same adhesive to cover it with a faux suede as a final covering. Can I do this?

Electrical - I was thinking about upgrading to a 30 amp or even 60 amp system if I choose to install a window type AC unit. I've seen some all in one AC/DC inverters /fuse panels available. Is this a good idea or should I keep them separate.

OK my 3 yr old is screaming at me needs my attention... More later.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

PA
Can I edit/delete my old post? Thought I knew how to post pics but apparently I'm not doing it right. I have a Picasa account and thought I could post pic from it. But that's not working. I just want to clean up this thread of failed pic posting.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

PA
Hey I'm back on the forum and have finally started renovating our Boler. It's getting a concessions trailer rebuild. Started last week and will start posting pics, questions and comments soon. Have lot of internal parts that I am removing, thinking I'll try to sell them.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWhit View Post
Slow start...Took the AC unit off the roof today. The top rain cover is 80% busted/gone. Have to test the unit to see if it works. Not even sure the manufacture of the unit. It has a water tube, that looks like it was hooked up to a pump at one time, that runs inline with the wiring harness. Not even sure if it runs on freon or some kind of evaporator type. Thinking I might find a small wall 110v wall unit and install it if this roof unit turns out to be a turd. Don't feel like dropping 7 bills on an RV roof unit.

The main reason I took the AC off was so the camper would fit into my outer garage. It's still about 3 inches too tall. I thought about letting the air out of the tires but instead went to Harbor Freight and bought a tarp and some bungee cords.

Anyone have any insight on the roof AC units. I can take a pic of it, maybe someone can identify what/who it is.
Sounds like it might be an evaporative cooler. I'll wait for the pictures. If it is, it won't do you much good on the East Coast- too humid. Bolers of that vintage were not originally built with the required reinforcement for a roof-mounted AC, so unless a PO has done some fiberglass work or added internal ribs, it is not able to support the weight of a unit.

To get your trailer into the garage, what a number of people here have done is to buy a set of 8" wheels to replace the stock wheels & tires. I've seen it done both with and without tires. Here's one with tires:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage Tires.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	82268
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just caught the gap in dates...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #11

PA
I'm still here and still working on my Boler. Put it in the back burner for a little over a year. Jon in AZ thanks for the reply. Felt like I was writing to myself back in 2013 when I first got on here.

We are turning it into a full on concessions trailer. Have lots of pics I'll try to post. Did a POR15 treatment to the frame last week. Turned out great. Got it back under the shell yesterday. Today we power washed her down inside and out with the power washer.

I need to be done by end of Aug so I will have lots to post.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #12

PA
The AC unit was definitely an evaporator. I completely gutted it. Will be doing fiberglass patching and building the inside out this week.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
The Scamp door hinges will work I have them on my 71 Boler, most of their other stuff should work, may be pricey though (try ebay for things like water tanks & pumps, door locks, electrical & water connections, etc), the problems you may run into would be with molded fiberglass items like doors, closets, cabinets, etc. There windows should work but you may have to do some mods to your Boler...local salvage yards are a good place to find used replacement windows...also All Rite Manufacturing sells all the seals necessary to rebuild your crank out windows for you Boler including Hehr brand windows...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #14

PA
Thanks Johnny for the info. All of my interior cabinets, bunks and tables are in pretty good shape. Because we are making it a construction trailer I have removed 90% of those items. I am only keeping the kitchen counter top and cab, the closet and the rear overhead storage couby hole. All cushions, bunks, bunk poles, table, and molded benches are in tact and available.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Scamp hinges work but the holes DO NOT line up. The length of the leaf and offset are different which requires new holes to be drilled on the body side. If you relocate and mount the Scamp hinges 1/3 qnd 2/3 of the way down the door (I think the measurments are at 21" and 42" from the top of the door). the door will open fully without the edge of the door hitting the belly band.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #16

PA
Need to find a potable water tank to mount under the rear floor? Any good recommendations without breaking the bank.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #17

Name: Denise
Trailer: 1977 Boler
British Columbia
Did you get any advice on the water tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWhit View Post
Need to find a potable water tank to mount under the rear floor? Any good recommendations without breaking the bank.

Thanks
Did you find anything that will work? We have a 77 with a leak in the fresh water tank. I am going to look into repairing it but wanted to price out a replacement in case that is actually cheaper.
MoDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Here is my solution with detailed instructions for a fresh water tank. it is easy cheap and has many advantages over the on-board tank: External Water Reservoir
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #19

Name: Denise
Trailer: 1977 Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Here is my solution with detailed instructions for a fresh water tank. it is easy cheap and has many advantages over the on-board tank: External Water Reservoir
Thanks for the tip! This could work for us. I like that this option is a lot easier to clean.
MoDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #20

PA
I still have yet to tackle the fresh water tank. I have a bunch done and want to post pics of the whole soon. Just have to figure out the easiest way to post them. These forums are a PITA when trying to post pics. Are there easy to understand instructions somewhere for pic posting?

I have some interior items that I will no longer need. Are they worth selling? I have all the foam pads all in decent shape considering age. Foam is in tact just need reupholstered. Bunk poles and mounts, back fiberglass benches, fiberglass top kitchen cabinet and a few other accessories. Any idea of how much I can get for them would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Tags
boler