Why I need to recondition my DO lid - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Why I need to recondition my DO lid

During Amazon Prime day I ordered a cordless Black and Decker lawn mower. It arrived a few days later and I charged up the batteries but didn't start it up.

When it was nearly a month from the order I figured I should start it so I got out the manual, put the handle together, inserted the battery in its little compartment and the spare in its, set it on the highest setting (about 3 1/2 inches off the ground) and pushed it out onto the grass (of which I don't have much.) I put in the safety key and started it.

It started just fine, whirred for a moment, and then I smelled burning rubber. I looked at it and the top of it was melting. I turned it off, removed the key, and pushed it from the grass to nearby sand. By this time the melted part had melted through and a flame could be seen.

I'm generally pretty smart, and calm, but for some dumb reason I overlooked the obvious (sand!) and looked around for something to use to smother the flames. I saw the DO and took the lid and put it over the flame. It momentarily died but then since it obviously wasn't fitting tightly the flame came back. At this point the wind also whipped up, blowing air under the mower and fanning the flame, which was now about a foot high and encompassing the mower.

I went inside and got the phone and called 911. Second dumb moment- I walked right by the dry chemical fire extinguisher. I knew not to use water on a battery fire but I could have used the kitchen extinguisher.

By then the flames were about two feet high. I huddled in the entry way out of sight, peeking now and then to make sure no grass was catching (I had the hose in case of that) and praying the batteries would not explode and send flames toward the house or car and that the fire department (volunteer) would get here. Soon the first guy arrived, and moved my car. He also used the hose to put out a grass fire that one of the exploding batteries started. Then the truck came but by then it had mostly burned out.

So no major losses. Amazon very quickly refunded the non-discounted price of the mower. Black and Decker sent a form letter suggesting that if I wanted a refund I had to go to a service center. I reported it to the Consumer Product Safety commission. Note that the handle, which I assembled, survived just fine!

And my Dutch oven lid is in rather bad shape. Suggestions? I assume I can probably sand the rust off and recondition it, at least on the underside.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010639.jpg   13708202_10100864610366001_8887815663742948332_o.jpg  

13923443_10100864610375981_8079426252125383328_o (1).jpg   P1010640.jpg  

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Wow, lucky the property damage was not too bad and that no one got hurt.

I've seen people clean cast iron cookware that was really bad by building a really hot campfire and setting the item on the very hot coals to burn off the residue. It is necessary after the fire has cooled down to re season the cast iron.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Well, you have a good story to tell, and you don't even need to embellish it one bit. Bear in mind, it will be easier and more fun to tell as years go by!

The cast iron lid is a mess, but definitely salvageable. Grit blasting comes to mind. I would look for a machine shop or a metal parts finisher that has grit (sand) blasting equipment. They could clean it up and should not charge much, especially if you treat them to the whole story.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Take it to a metal shop and have them throw it in their sand blaster. Then just wash, dry and re-season it. Should be good as new.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If you need to have it blasted, try to find a bead blaster or walnut shell blaster so the cast iron is not pitted. First you might try removing the rust by soaking in Coke or vinegar. Use a plastic tub and check periodically. If no luck the next step would be blasting.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Wow, lucky the property damage was not too bad and that no one got hurt.

I've seen people clean cast iron cookware that was really bad by building a really hot campfire and setting the item on the very hot coals to burn off the residue. It is necessary after the fire has cooled down to re season the cast iron.
I think I had that covered, lol. But I let it sit out too long afterwards. I'll try removing the rust first and see how it does.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I'm sorry about the trouble, just a reminder that low voltage doesn't necessarily mean safer.
As for the DO lid there's a Dutch Over Facebook site, I think you'd get some good advice there.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I think I had that covered, lol. But I let it sit out too long afterwards. I'll try removing the rust first and see how it does.
My concern would be the burnt residue from the plastic parts of the mower. I would not want my food to taste like plastic. If I did want my food to taste like plastic, I would just go to a fast food restaurant and order something with "melty cheese"
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

Registry
I don't think by the time the rust and ash is off there will be any plastic residue.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it was mine I would put a wire brush in my drill motor and wire brush it clean. I want to leave the cast iron smooth rather than ruff like you get with grit blasting. I would want to start with clean cast iron. Then fire up the barbecue and cook it to death. Then let it cool naturally. It's not good to force cool it with water or anything. I would make some dinner on the BBQ while waiting for lid to cool. Then clean the lid and start the seasoning process back on the BBQ while it's still hot. Maybe test it with a peach cobbler or something. Start about 10 in the morning and finish cleaning up just before dark. Between a couple of beers, a BBQ dinner and a pot of peach cobbler I can't think of a better way to reseason a pot lid.

Of course using this lid to smother a chemical fire is not a good choice since it is a food vessel. There can be residual vaporized metals that are deposited that may not clean out without great effort. What I would do for me I do not recommend for anybody. It's your lid, it's your decision what may work best for the people that will be eating out of your pot.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

Registry
It was a dumb choice to smother the fire since it didn't smother it- and I had all that sand right there- but it is hard to think clearly when something like this happens.

But again, not worried about long term, if I can clean it up I'll be cleaning it up. It wasn't a very good DO anyway (some off brand) so if I can't, that's okay, too. I'm going to start with vinegar and see how it goes.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Wow, quiet a story.
All you need to.remove.the rust is salt and.a.stainless steel scrub.pad. use the.salt.like you.would Ajax, simply.sprinkle it on.and.scrub. then lightly.coat.with.cooking oil and sit it in your oven on low.for.an hour and.repeat a.few.times. be sure it is a.very light coat of oil or you will have a.smoke alarm test.
It.should.clean up.easily.
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Long-ago-a-time I discovered a nice 12" Lodge fry pan that had been neglected. I took it into work with me as I had several piles of brush and wood to burn. I buried it in the fire and burned it for about three or four days. A couple of people saw it and asked me if I was throwing that skillet away. In the end I brushed it off and seasoned it, rust pits and all.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #14

Registry
So far- soaking in vinegar got most of the rust off. It's soaking now as I'm trying to get the last bit but it may need more of something. Debating the next step- if I leave it wet or dry it, either way, it rusts if I don't season it (just a light layer but that puts me back to rust removal.)

I think the reason that was out there in the first place was rust in the pot itself so I figure I may as well get that going, too. I'm tempted to try the self-cleaning oven method since this is not my favorite DO and I've removed the worst of it already. Most of what I've read on using the oven is positive. Has anyone tried it?

Tags
eco