I can now fill the fresh water tank in 60 seconds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
Florida
I can now fill the fresh water tank in 60 seconds

I put a couple valves under the sink and fill my tank from the built in water supply fitting. Total cost was about $15.00. I varied a little from the diagram, but both valve handles up is normal operation, both sideways fills the tank. Valve 2 may not be necessary but I didn't want to damage the hand-pump.

EDIT: There is no pressure problems as the tank is well vented from where you pour water in. I just make sure to watch the tank fill so I don't overfill. The water line from the hand-pump to the tank had no check valve.
Attached Thumbnails
pipes2.jpg   pipes.jpg  

michaelcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
This is clever, thanks for sharing the idea.

I am still trying to come up with some way to speed up filling the tank from a 5 gallon bladder, through the normal outside filler neck. Any good ideas out there?

I end up spilling some, and I get tired of holding 30 to 40 pounds of water in may arms. When I am on city water, I don't mind disconnecting the hose and letting it flow into the tank filler.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post

I am still trying to come up with some way to speed up filling the tank from a 5 gallon bladder, through the normal outside filler neck. Any good ideas out there?

I end up spilling some, and I get tired of holding 30 to 40 pounds of water in may arms. When I am on city water, I don't mind disconnecting the hose and letting it flow into the tank filler.
Set it on a folding table that is higher than the filler inlet and use a siphon hose. The folding table can be used for an outdoor camp kitchen to set a gas stove or bar-b-que on and for a dish pan for washing up chores.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #4

Colorado
Thanks, KC, that is something to think about.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That IS a good simple idea for outside filling. I will try that as well.

I like the inside city fill...but dont want to add potential leaking valves

Paul, I a hose connection similar to the "City" inlet would be the bomb for our internal tank fill. Then when not in use it would be naturally sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Set it on a folding table that is higher than the filler inlet and use a siphon hose. The folding table can be used for an outdoor camp kitchen to set a gas stove or bar-b-que on and for a dish pan for washing up chores.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Paul
I have 5 gallon jug tied up to awning above with a tube coming from it to fill tube. Sometimes I stick funnel in water fill and tie funnel up to awning then just dump 5 gallons into funnel.
I like the method to tie in the water supply but guess not that ambitious
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
On my Bigfoot I added a diverter tube from the city water inlet tube to the fresh water tank fill tube with a cutoff valve. There's no hand pump involved and the city input line does have a check valve, so no 2nd valve is needed.
Since my fresh tank is 21 gal, it still takes a lot longer than 60 seconds to fill, but no more having to hassle with filling the tank by hand with buckets, jugs, etc.
I first learned of this mod from Larry Gamble of Little House Customs and I think all RVs should incorporate this simple feature.

Walt
Old 09-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Paul
I have 5 gallon jug tied up to awning above with a tube coming from it to fill tube. Sometimes I stick funnel in water fill and tie funnel up to awning then just dump 5 gallons into funnel.
I like the method to tie in the water supply but guess not that ambitious
Thanks for the idea. My ambition is to find the simplest, cheapest solution possible and something like this might be it!
Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #9

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hey K Corbin. I like your idea for a siphon tube. Just went to Amazon and there's all types. Those used for home brewing to automotive and fish aquariums. Would you help me out of you get time to post a link to one of the siphon tubes that would fill the bill? I've honestly never used one. Looks like they have a little rubber squeezee so you don't stick your mouth over the end to force a vacuum? That's all I've ever done...with gasoline of course. 😮

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't understand why you don't just haul the trailer to the water supply and fill the fresh water with a hose.
Can dump the black and grey water and buy groceries and beer at the same time.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:

I end up spilling some, and I get tired of holding 30 to 40 pounds of water in may arms.
Put a longer hose on your bladder and put the bladder on your spare tire.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Put a longer hose on your bladder and put the bladder on your spare tire.
Wow, I think we are getting somewhere - Thanks!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #13

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
On my Bigfoot I added a diverter tube from the city water inlet tube to the fresh water tank fill tube with a cutoff valve. There's no hand pump involved and the city input line does have a check valve, so no 2nd valve is needed.
Walt
Not to hijack yet another thread, but this is a solution I like. Would a water pump bypass work too? That is, installing a tee and tube on the output side of the pump over to the input side of the pump. Either way, it's on my list. Thanks for the idea. If you ever have the chance to take a picture of this I'd like to see it.
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:

I use two 2 1/2 gallon jugs. Two jugs to carry but half the weight when lifted. I enlarged the air intake so they drain fast. They are blue, intended for kerosene. They are light enough that my wife can lift them .
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #15

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
We lift a Walmart 6-gallon water canister to the top of our Casita's spare tire, and then tip it into a flexible hose with a tip that fits into the fresh-water filler tube.

See my post here, with a picture:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post606958

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:25 AM   #16

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
I bought a second pump.and made a quick bracket so it fits on the bumper while filling. I hook it up to the battery with alligator clamps. But lately I put the container higher and gravity fill
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco