Asheville, NC Recommendation - October - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Asheville, NC Recommendation - October

The wife and I are going to Asheville, NC in October and would greatly appreciate some recommendations on the best place to stay in our 13' Burro given the following:
1) Bathhouse is a must (sewer hookup not necessary)
2) Power
3) Close enough proximity to downtown/micro breweries to catch Uber or the like
4) Dog friendly
5) Prefer a location that allows for tent camping as well (accompanying couple prefers tents)

As always, I so appreciate the support and opinion of the members on this forum.
nomadicitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
That is a tall order, given the requirement for proximity to microbreweries and some form of transportation. Some of the CGs in Asheville are RV only, only a couple advertise pet friendly. What immediately comes to mind is the KOA, but it is in Swannanoa.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We stayed at KOA east nc ( Asheville ) in april 2015, dog friendly, nice park, lake, stream, trails, 10 minutes to major stores, shopping, restaurants. We went to Biltmore estates which is a short drive away. I think it was like $38-$42 a night. We put up our clam so i guess there is room for a tent. Full hook-ups. Inquire to them about what type of site you would like. There is some by the lake and some by the stream/river. We stayed about three nights, we rally enjoyed it. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Lake Powhatan in Pisgah National Forest fits your all requirements but I'm not sure of availability in October; that's prime leaf peeping season. This is a great campground in an an excellent location. Easily within a taxi ride of downtown Asheville and just off the Blue Ridge Parkway with large private sites. The loops we've stayed in and possibly the entire campground have newer restrooms with showers. About a third of the 85 sites have power and a subset of these are non-reservable.

If no electric sites are available, I'd consider reserving a basic site and taking a chance on someone vacating a non-reservable electric after your arrival. Rates run from $22-$32 less 50% if you have a geezer pass.

Facility Details - LAKE POWHATAN, NC - Recreation.gov

Whether you camp here or not, consider spending a half day or more at the NC Arboretum which is next door to the campground. Admission is free but there is a charge for parking.
http://www.ncarboretum.org/plan-a-vi...rden-exhibits/

The Cradle of Forestry is another USFS nearby attraction worth a visit. Also free with the Senior Pass.
http://cradleofforestry.com/

Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

Name: Lapsley
Trailer: currently saving for an Oliver
Tennessee
I have tent camped at Lake Powhatan and its a very nice facility, but as was pointed out, the Fall foliage will be coming into full peak around the 3rd or 4th week in October. And you would be about 10 miles from Asheville downtown as I remember, but certainly that's a plus as the campground is away from the hustle and bustle.
Laps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #6

Name: Gary & Betty
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
NC Recommendation - October

I don't know if you are aware that there is an "Egg" camper rally in Cherokee, NC October 13 through the 16th. It is not that far from Asheville if my memory serves me correctly. It's at the Happy Holiday RV Village. You get a 20% discount if you let them know you're with the "Egg Camping Group". I don't believe there is an official "leader" or host for this rally, but there a quite a few people already signed up. They have all the facilities you're looking for as well as tent sites. Check out the facilities at www.happyholidayrv.com . I talked with Penny there and she was most helpful. We've signed up and are going. Hope to see you there!
Gary & Betty
HeBeGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Wilson's rv park is full hook-up. In town ok by River .
Bear creek rv is a little farther out but nicer.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Asheville, NC Recommendation - October

Based on the OP's third (3) consideration, I am guessing that both couples wish to "enjoy" the offerings of the microbreweries and use readily available transportation so that one of them does not have to be the designated driver. I am assuming that this means camping locations at any distance from downtown are not desireable.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #9

We visited the Asheville Brewing Company on Coxe Avenue in Asheville while staying at Lake Powhatan and there were several other micro breweries in that general area. IIRC, the drive was around twenty minutes. I don't think the OP will find much in the way of campgrounds in that section of town.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #10

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
We visited the Asheville Brewing Company on Coxe Avenue in Asheville while staying at Lake Powhatan and there were several other micro breweries in that general area. IIRC, the drive was around twenty minutes. I don't think the OP will find much in the way of campgrounds in that section of town.

Probably not, but the OP mentioned some form of available transportation, e.g., taxi. That means a campground served by some form of shuttle service that is not so far away it will "break the bank."

Old 08-03-2016, 07:34 AM   #11

My apologies Carl; didn't mean for my response to be S/A'd but see how it could be interpreted that way.

We camp a fair amount around Asheville and are reasonably familiar with the area. Many of the microbreweries there are clustered in the Coxe / Hilliard Avenue section. I'm sure there are others scattered around Asheville as well but these are the ones we know best. There are a few campgrounds closer to the downtown scene, Bear Creek and Wilson's come to mind, but I'd estimate both of these to be at least five miles from the pubs in Coxe/Hilliard and their costs are at least fifty percent higher than Lake Powhatan. A savings that could be put towards transportation. Now, if the commercial campgrounds offer some sort of shuttle service, that would be a game changer.

Happy camping to all.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #12

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
My apologies Carl; didn't mean for my response to be S/A'd but see how it could be interpreted that way.

We camp a fair amount around Asheville and are reasonably familiar with the area. Many of the microbreweries there are clustered in the Coxe / Hilliard Avenue section. I'm sure there are others scattered around Asheville as well but these are the ones we know best. There are a few campgrounds closer to the downtown scene, Bear Creek and Wilson's come to mind, but I'd estimate both of these to be at least five miles from the pubs in Coxe/Hilliard and their costs are at least fifty percent higher than Lake Powhatan. A savings that could be put towards transportation. Now, if the commercial campgrounds offer some sort of shuttle service, that would be a game changer.

Happy camping to all.

Al, I was in no way offended. I was actually "interpreting" what I perceived the OP was thinking, based on the 5 considerations mentioned. I might have been all wet. When in Asheville, I like to go to Mama Gertie's. Have you camped there?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #13

Thanks Carl, these message boards are a great thing but sometimes it's really difficult, at least for me, to interpret a post without the benefit of voice inflections and physical expressions.

I'm somewhat familiar with Mama Gerties but we've never camped there. Most everything I've seen or heard about it has been very positive but we just tend to favor smaller campgrounds on public lands. This is probably because I had forty years of tent camping before getting a Scamp in 03. Cindy still joins me on a couple of overnight hikes each year but I'll be the first to acknowledge the benefits of a camper.

Thanks for clearing things up and hope to see you on the road sometime.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Thank you all for your replies and willingness to share your knowledge and experience. I'll be looking into all the suggestions provided.

nomadicitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Having stayed at Lake Powhatan, Davidson River (Brevard) and Mama Gerties our favorite is Davidson River. That said it is 30 minutes out of Asheville, depending where in Asheville you want to go.

Mama Gerties is the only private campground I have ever liked. It is "hilly as hell" and has small sites. They put you on a site based on your length and you get nothing extra. For a premium you can camp on the mountain top, beautiful views. If you are winded by the walk down the hill to the shower you can use their hotline to call for a cart ride back to your site.

Lake Powhatan will meet your needs, if you have a "geezer pass" the camping is half price, but not the electric. Showers are adequate. Davidson River has just such a different vibe, I never met campground hosts (I talked with 4 of the 6) that were so positive and worked so hard. The place has a culture of its own.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Given your comments thus far, I would recommend Wilsons. Its not world class for sure, but it is on the French Broad river, adjacent to Carrier Park (nice), and near the River Arts District, which is where the New Belgium Brewery is located. Sierra Nevada Brewery is a much see, its in Fletcher, so figure a car drive to that one.

I live west of Asheville. October is PRIME TIME, expect camping to be crowded (full). So plan ahead.

Once you start camping out a ways, I would recommend Maggie Valley. There are several campgrounds there. But you will be 30 to 40 minutes from downtown Asheville. I live in downtown Waynesville, we have several microbreweries here too. Boojums is the best. Very nice restaurant too. Microbreweries are opening up all over western NC right now. But the Asheville brewery scene tops them all.

Be sure to stop at the "Vortex", and get a donut (or two). They are very close to several microbreweries, and worth a stop. If you go, don't be surprised if you end up going back a time or two.

Wilsons is adjacent to I-240, so plan on road noise. Bear Creek Campground is your other choice. Bear Creek is pretty close in, maybe a mile from Wilsons. Neither of them gets stellar reviews.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco