Recovering cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Recovering cushions

Anyone know what type of fabric is the best to recover trailer cushions? Also where is a good place to buy it near Vancouver? My Boler awaits your reply
Mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hit a fabric supply shop with your question, that is what did and still happy with cushions. They were recovered in 2003-4 and have been used a ton!
Also, I was told to put a good naugahide(spelling) on the back of the cushions.
It gives a firmer support when used as a bed.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Fabricana in Coquitlam (United Blvd) has a good selection of upholstery fabrics. They have an annual storewide sale in April, I think. Apparently there are long lineups. I am sure it will be on their website in the spring.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Upholstery fabric is generally, sturdy and holds up to the wear and tear of trailer camping. You have to be sure that your home sewing machine (if that is what you have) can stand up the several thicknesses that you will need to sew together. Professionals use heavy duty industrial machines.

To extend the life of my upholstery I always cover it with a blanket usually made of fleece.
Attached Thumbnails
Lindsey's Bridal Shower Aug. 2015 & SCAMP 029.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #5

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We ordered our current covers direct from Scamp, because the cost/benefit worked out for us. However, a couple of years ago I recovered camper cushions in a vintage North Star, and used outdoor fabric. I really liked that, as it was water and stain resistant and easy to sew through. I also really liked the brighter colors and options for fabric. My mom recently used just regular upholstery fabric to redo the cushions in her camper and she loves the way they are wearing and the way they look.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #6

Name: Karen M
Trailer: Scamp
Connecticut
I found some great vinyl with a nice hefty weight, bright color, and not too stiff to sew. I am planning on using this for the seat portion, and a printed outdoor fabric for the remainder of the seat. The vinyl is easier to clean, and the outdoor print will show on the back and sides, where it less likely to be soiled by food. A home sewing machine can handle the heavier fabrics and thread with the correct needle and presser foot. You may need to replace the needle a few times, so keep a few on hand.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Hi:
I've always used upholstery fabric because it has a more sturdy backing. Any fabric store should have an upholstery section. I haven't lived in BC since 1999, so I'm not sure what is current any more. Good luck with your project. Cheers, Barb
Barb & Bob MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Dean--

When I did my own cushions, I used upholstery fabric purchased at Fabricland. I am certain there are numerous shops selling fabric in the Vancouver area, of which Fabricland is one. The staff there are extremely knowledgeable about how to know how much fabric one needs for their project, as long as you can provide dimensions of the cushions.

And I've seen many cushions not redone using the bottom vinyl/naugahyde. A friend who is an upholsterer told me that there is no specific need to use vinyl but was done as a matter of course by trailer manufacturers to provide an alternative choice for owners.
Personally, I find the vinyl very hot and sticky in summer. Sure, one can slide easier on it, across the seat, but I always stick to the darn seat!

I've seen denim used very successfully and we all know it's certainly resilient. And I have also seen someone who used heavier curtaining fabric equally as successfully.

One thing I regret not doing is the "before and after" photos. The difference in my trailer was huge!

Either way, take photos to show us!!! And good luck.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
recovering cushions....

Hi Mollie

Here's a recap of an earlier post of mine regarding the covers I made for my cushions last fall:

No - Sew cushions are done!
Just finished them up today, pretty happy with how they look.

I had gotten an estimate of $1,400 to recover my cushions from an upholstery shop.

When I came to after passing out I went online to look at DIY options and found a youtube video of a fellow stapling the fabric to thin plywood beneath the foam.

I opted to use wall paneling, easier to find and a bit more flexible. The vinyl is a heavy marine-grade material.

Fabric, staples and paneling were probably about $150 total.

My old cushions were one piece and at 6' long were hard to move around to access the underseat storage. So I made each cushion 3' long.

While I was at it I added a very inexpensive vinyl floor. The flooring was wood-look strips with an adhesive back. Under $20 for a box of 22 square feet.

I guessed one box would be enough. I only had one strip left when I was done! Also added a carpet runner for under $15 from Wal-Mart, USA made.

So here is the after picture. The before picture was taken just after I bought the trailer a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
before.after.cushions.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
You guys/gals are awesome! We found someone in our home town only a few blocks away that sews trailer cushions and is reasonably priced. We just bought regular fabric (cotton) and will put something over top when in transport,etc to avoid tearing. We ordered the fabric from a website called fabric.com Look forward to how it's going to look.
Mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #11

Ontario
If the person you found to sew the cushions is in the Van. area, could you share the contact info with me (a PM would be fine) . I have a trailer there that I need to make new cushions for. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Mollie,
While I'm glad you found a fabric and seamstress you like, I have to speak up about your choice of "regular" cotton fabric. For all the time, effort and money you are spending for new cushion covers I really think a heavier duty fabric will serve you better. Regular cotton is fine for pillows, little curtains and cute dresses but will not stand up to the rigors of camping, sitting and jostling. The "regular" weight fabric will stretch, wrinkle and tear. I think it best that you find another use for your "regular" fabric (such as comforter, curtains, pillows, etc.) and get, at the very least, "home decor" fabric. Upholstery fabric, as others have indicated, would be better. I'd hate to see you go to the trouble of re-doing your cushions now and having to do it again one or two years down the line!
In my humble opinion.
Gilda

Photos: 1 original boring Scamp upholstery, 2 Autumn decor, 3 Wine Country decor
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 005.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 029.jpg  

Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 063.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
"Recovering cushions": I can't help wondering what the cushions are recovering from!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #14

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I like the outdoor fabrics as they are UV fade resistant and shed spills too.

But it also makes good sense to use a heavy weight but washable fabric. Just be sure to pre-shrink the fabric by running it through the washer and dryer before you cut into the fabric. If you skip that critical step you might have wasted all your time and money as it is entirely possible they won't fit back on after the first time you wash them.

Even if you use an upholstery fabric that is dry clean only you should send it to the dry cleaners BEFORE you have the cushions made as that process can also cause some shrinking of the fabric.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #15

Ontario
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi Mollie,
I'd hate to see you go to the trouble of re-doing your cushions now and having to do it again one or two years down the line!
In my humble opinion.
Gilda
Having to change covers after one or two years is why I choose upholstery cotton materials (always on sale or discount) for my cushions. I love to be able to have a new look to brighten up the trailer, or several different covers so I can change them on a whim. Just call me fickle.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #16

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
If you have an IKEA close by we go to the as is section and buy the fabric they uses as sofa covers. We found a solid black when we redid our popup and they turned out great. With the Bigfoot I am redoing I found great blackout curtains to redo all the curtains and four boxes of sofa covers in a nice gray for 10$ a box. Each box also had ready made pillow covers for IKEA standard throw pillows so I just bought the inserts for matching throw pillows to match everything.

It was much more cost effective than buying good fabric in Canada that will hold up.
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #17

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
cushion fastening

I just removed our cushion covers to wash them. The zippers span less than the whole length. Very difficult to remove and even harder to put back together. When we make new covers, I plan to have the opening along the full length and wrap around both corners a couple inches, and use velcro.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco