Over-optimistic beginner vs Trillium 1300 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #1

Name: nicolas
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Quebec
Over-optimistic beginner vs Trillium 1300

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Trillium 1300. I have started a few threads with questions and I now realize I should do like others and make a little thread about how it's going and the challenges I face along the way.

Se here are the pictures of when I bought the beauty, is still haven't found a name yet.
Attached Thumbnails
20170503_185016_resized.jpg   IMG_1351_resized.jpg  

Nicolas Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #2

Quebec
Where i am now

So after posting a few question about preparing the exterior and how to deal with cracks in the fiberglass, I sanded the whole thing with a dual action sander (went very well), did some fiberglass on the roof (way easier than I first expected) and took front and back window out since the back one was leaking and didn't want to take any chance with the front one.

So here are the picture of where I am on my project for the moment
Attached Thumbnails
20170521_162000_resized_2.jpg   20170521_133841_resized_1.jpg  

20170521_131457_resized_1.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Quebec
And now the challenges

Here are the challenges I currently face. Pictures follow the order of the question/challenges

1- How the hell you get the cooker top off? I don't want to damage it but I would like to take it off to give a good cleaning under it.

2- There is a joint between the upper part and lower part of the shell. There was some kind of mastic on the top of the joint which came off in some parts? what should I use for this joint?

3- There are also cracks on the side of the window hole. It is not fiberglass, it looks like body filler for cars. How should I Fix it?

4- The previous owner (don't ask me how) made some kind of a whole on the side trim close to the door. I was thinking about filling it with some plastic metal, is it the right way to go?

4- (no pictures) What is the best watertight product to reinstall a window?

thank you all for you suggestion a following my thread
Attached Thumbnails
20170522_101042_resized.jpg   20170513_162411.jpg  

20170521_135615_resized_1.jpg   20170522_115120_resized.jpg  

Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Keep up the good work and keep adding the pictures. Your story will help others.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #5

Name: MARK
Trailer: SUNTREK
Ontario
I just used Sikaflex 295UV for the installation of new plexiglass windows on my 1997 Suntrek Vista. Very happy with the results.
Delmitch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #6

Name: Reade
Trailer: Trillium
manitoba
Question 2

It appears someone tried to fix a leaky belly band by adding something that looks like an epoxy fillet. so the stuff that is chunking off is an addition.

Easy fix as you might have noticed the rubber in the centre of the belly band peals out. I see yours has shrunk to reveal some rivets. so peal it out to revel the rivets. Drill out the rivets and take off the metal band. Then sand off your excess fillet you have in your case and grind out the metal bits the rivets attached to. then fill with some sort of epoxy filler. I used the 3m stuff from Canadian Tire.

and presto fixed! Like the fibreglass work it sounds harder than it is.

Check out a much better explanation at this thread here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-69274.html
Reade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #7

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reade View Post
Question 2

It appears someone tried to fix a leaky belly band by adding something that looks like an epoxy fillet. so the stuff that is chunking off is an addition.
That's not a deteriorated rubber insert in an aluminum bumper on that belly band? Looks like it in the pictures, but then I'm not a Trillium owner.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
David Tilston, no longer active on the forum, has some great threads on Trillium repairs.

Do an advanced search by user, and you will find them.

Some good examples:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-65342.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html

Randy Bishop has also done some awesome Trillium rebuild work. I almost bought a rig from Randy, I should of really!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi,
Question 1. The top is anchored on each side by "pressure" type pins. One on either side. The back of the top is raised so you can get the tines of a hammer underneath. Or you can get a flat edge under it in the middle of the side and pry steadily upward it should pop off. Remove the knobs and the lose metal burner parts before you start.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4140.jpg   IMG_4141_0001.jpg  

Old 05-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #10

Name: Randy J.
Ontario
Some tips from my experience

The stove top on my '76 tril just pops right off. I just grasp evenly around the metal opening for the burners (grills removed) and give a quick pull.

There are plenty of posts here on repairing leaky windows. You have step one, remove them. I suggest before you do anything else, check to see if the screws were grabbing the fibreglass all the way 'round. My opening had been cut a little too wide at manufacture and so was never properly sandwiched between the aluminum window and the wood. I built both sides in about 1/4 inch with fiberglass and then repaired the rest of the way around the window with a thin layer of fiberglass to give a smooth surface. The old wood on the inside will be rotten. I duplicated this using good quality 3/4 inch plywood. Marine grade is too expensive and besides, it loses its qualities when you cut it. I sealed the new pieces with three coats of urethane. I put butyl tape next to the opening, under the metal. I used 3/4 inch stainless #8 screws which pass through the aluminum window, through the fiberglass and into the wood, sandwiching everything for a water tight fit. Once you clean up the excess butyl, top off the joint with some high end RV silicone and replace trim. Done!

I probably don't have to tell you this, but be careful working with fibreglass. Get an appropriate chemical respirator when working with resin and fit it with P100 filters when sanding. I didn't always do this, but then as they say, if I'd known I'd live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
"3- There are also cracks on the side of the window hole. It is not fiberglass, it looks like body filler for cars. How should I Fix it?"
If it is bondo style body filler you could grind it out with a small dremel style grinder if it needs to be removed. Grind down to the fiberglass and then re-glass the area. Alternatively, you could add more body filler and sand it smooth.

"4- The previous owner (don't ask me how) made some kind of a whole on the side trim close to the door. I was thinking about filling it with some plastic metal, is it the right way to go? "
I would use fiberglass. If it's too small to patch then I would recommend buying or making a shortstrand putty and using it to patch a small hole.

"4- (no pictures) What is the best watertight product to reinstall a window? "
I used Butyl tape (the black style) when I reinstalled my windows. I am pretty happy with the results.

Good luck!
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 PM   #12

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
your off to a great start. FYI bondo is not waterproof if you use it make sure you put lots of primer on to seal it up. Dyna Glass,Long and Strong, other names for it as well is waterproof, but a bit harder to sand. Crappy Tire carries it
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:53 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
David Tilston, no longer active on the forum, has some great threads on Trillium repairs.

Do an advanced search by user, and you will find them.

Some good examples:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-65342.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html

Randy Bishop has also done some awesome Trillium rebuild work. I almost bought a rig from Randy, I should of really!
Aw shucks, that is nice of you to say.

A couple of observations about this trailer.
I have never seen that stye of side window on a Trillium before. I doubt that they are original.
The exterior light seems to have been replaced by something.
Given the massive amount of paint that needs to be removed, I would pull the belly band off and fill the gap. In addition to the above links, please also take a look at this one:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html

It is probably not necessary to grind as much as I did, (though I would do it all again). The seam is structurally sound, just fill it with some Bondo Short Strand Fibreglass Filler, sand flat, and cover with a thin layer of Bondo Body Filler, sand flat again. Then paint to taste.

And BTW Randy's advise is way better then mine. That man is a Trillium savant.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome back Dave . There sure has been a lot of Trill questions you've missed giving sage advice on.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:18 PM   #15

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Yup.. Good to once again see your sagely advice on the screen , Dave..
Old 06-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #16

Quebec
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help

I think I have my answers for the stove and the product for the windows.

However, I am unsure about the Belly Band thing. I kinda liked to have it cause it was giving me a well-defined line to make a neat two color painting job despite my poor painting skills.

I am not against taking it out. I am only wondering how could I get some kind of defined line to help me with the painting.

David Tilston - No the side windows aren't originals... I am really disappointed by it. They are not it great shape neither. I am looking to replace them with originals or new ones but have a hard time finding ones.

Tags
trillium