2014 Ford Escape VS 2014 Jeep Cheorkee for Casita SD - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
With 9 speeds, one would think that the mfr could gear it so it felt like a rocket. But reviewers say it feels heavy and not very fast at acceleration. Go figure.
9 speeds means at least 9 shift solenoids...And what do you suppose is the most common failure part on electronically controlled automatic transmissions?
Maybe a CVT would be more reliable...
Nah,... I think I'll stay with a stick-shift until they tell me that I don't want one anymore!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #42
zdr

Name: DancingTiger
Trailer: Casita 2009 SD
Texas
I was checking the tongue weight on 17' SD Casita, looks like MFG suggest to use 400-500 lb tongue load hitch, which reminds me someone has mentioned this on the threads, something like "the towing vehicle needs to support that weight, not just hitch, but also transmission, engine, suspension and body frame...etc". So I think the Ford Escape might be eliminated. Actually, my wife like Escape more than Cherokee , but from safety standpoint, Cherokee is more secure. I don't mind the acceleration on Cherokee is slower than Escape, as long as it can handle my 17' SD. Safety is the way to home, and I don't want to worry anything when we traveling.

In regards the Cherokee, as a towing vehicle, do we need 4x4? we will choice limited trim, and there are two 4x4 options on this trim. Active Drive I and Active Drive II. Here are their description from Jeep.

The single speed Jeep® Active Drive I 4x4 system with brake traction control is ideal for those who want an SUV with a 4x4 system that is easy to use with all-weather capability. The industry-first rear axle disconnect+ feature only engages the 4x4 system when necessary for improved fuel efficiency.

The Jeep® Active Drive II 4x4 system with low-range is great for extra low-speed traction and has a neutral mode for flat towing behind an RV.

How do you think?

Thanks !!
zdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #43

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Sounds like the Drive I is a front wheel drive vehicle until you engage the rear wheels. The II is an full time 4 wheel drive with the ability to be towed behind a mobile home. I'd stick with the first one.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #44

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I agree with Jim. Unless you plan to do a lot of off roading and need the low range, the Active Drive I would be great for gravel roads, wet road startups, and rough campsites.
On the other hand, if you get the Active Drive II, you might go to a few Jeep Jamborees and pick up another hobby.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #45

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I would take selectable or full time over whenever it damn well feels like it. That's a huge reason I bought the subaru. I don't like the on-off awd cars I've driven, it gets screwy. Left hand turn, front end slides out a hair, no problem, little bit of gas and more steering input, doing just fine, but wait... Here comes the awd! Wheeee! Right into the left lane of oncoming traffic. Quick, swerve back on the ice so you don't hit them! I'll pass. I fought the computer all day long in my moms CRV, I hated it. The subaru never changes driving characteristics.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #46

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I believe the Cherokee name has replaced the Liberty.

Consumers doesn't speak towing. They think all SUVs are 4WD and are purchased only for driving in snow. It is only recently that they began to include tow ratings.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool I found this thread interesting.

Since we are going tomorrow to look at a Ford Escape and a Subaru, I found this thread very interesting.
We presently own a Subaru and are quite happy with it. Although we only have 80K miles on it, it is 14 years old.
We are opting for automatic because of our old knees are starting to not like pushing clutch pedals.
I drove a CVT and found it interesting. It is an automatic, but talking about 9 speeds, the CVT has infinite speeds. It accelerates quite nicely without any shift points at all.
Years ago I had a 1977 Cherokee. It had a three speed but with the transfer case, it actually had 6 speeds forward, and 2 in reverse! Of course the low range was only useful in very hard going.
I thought I saw a larger tow capacity for the Ford Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost, but upon looking at the Ford website, I can't find it. Plus it has the foot activated rear hatch as standard on the Titanium model and the tow package is not available with the foot activated rear hatch. Does this mean the Titanium won't tow? Finding information is a real zoo.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #48

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I thought I saw a larger tow capacity for the Ford Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost, but upon looking at the Ford website, I can't find it. Plus it has the foot activated rear hatch as standard on the Titanium model and the tow package is not available with the foot activated rear hatch. Does this mean the Titanium won't tow? Finding information is a real zoo.
Go here for tow capability with the 2014 Escape:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...cape_may13.pdf

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #49

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Since we are going tomorrow to look at a Ford Escape and a Subaru, I found this thread very interesting.
We presently own a Subaru and are quite happy with it. Although we only have 80K miles on it, it is 14 years old.
We are opting for automatic because of our old knees are starting to not like pushing clutch pedals.
I drove a CVT and found it interesting. It is an automatic, but talking about 9 speeds, the CVT has infinite speeds. It accelerates quite nicely without any shift points at all.
Years ago I had a 1977 Cherokee. It had a three speed but with the transfer case, it actually had 6 speeds forward, and 2 in reverse! Of course the low range was only useful in very hard going.
It probably means that when it is fitted with a hitch,it covers where the sensor would have been. Also you would not want an automatic hatch coming open when hooked to some trailers which might interfere with or activate the feature. The Titanium has the highest tow rating but the tow package eliminates the automatic hatch feature.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Exclamation Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Before you buy any car, you may want to visit:

Safety ratings

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #51

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
My long-time mechanic says the newer Jeeps are not good vehicles. Unreliable engines, mostly, but overall shoddy workmanship.

I tow my Bigfoot 17-ft. with my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4WD, 4.0L engine. It pulls like there's nothing behind until I start a long, gradual climb. Even then, I can keep the Jeep rolling along at 45-50 mph without overtaxing the engine (I don't abuse my vehicle).

This is my 3rd Jeep; bought this one brand new. It has 230,000 miles on it, I've taken good care of it, & it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Even with the high miles on mine, it runs like a dream.

If you're really, really sold on a Jeep, maybe look for an older model with a reasonable amount of miles on it?

Good luck with your search!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #52

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
My long-time mechanic says the newer Jeeps are not good vehicles. Unreliable engines, mostly, but overall shoddy workmanship.

If you're really, really sold on a Jeep, maybe look for an older model with a reasonable amount of miles on it?

Good luck with your search!
Your mechanic may have been referring to the recently departed 3.8 engine that also powered the Dodge Caravans. The newer 3.6 (downsized to 3.2 in the Cherokee) Pentastar engines seem to be getting good reviews so far.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #53

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Actually it was the 3.7 v-6 which was replaced by the new 3.6 Pentastar motor.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #54

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Before you buy any car, you may want to visit:

Safety ratings

Gezzz Roger looks to me like you might want to stick to the Subaru.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually it was the 3.7 v-6 which was replaced by the new 3.6 Pentastar motor.
That's correct for the old Liberty. Guess I was thinking of the Wrangler since that's the one on my wish list (has been for about 30 years). It had the 3.8. I drove the old 3.8 and thought it was short on power for the Wrangler. I had the 3.7 in my older Dodge pickup and thought that was a decent engine.

I actually like towing with my Subaru, I just have to pay close attention to keep the tongue weight within the 200 lb limit. I have no experience with the Subaru CVT though, mine is the normal 4 spd automatic.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #56

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Your mechanic may have been referring to the recently departed 3.8 engine that also powered the Dodge Caravans. The newer 3.6 (downsized to 3.2 in the Cherokee) Pentastar engines seem to be getting good reviews so far.

Glad to hear that. I love my Jeep & get a bit cross when hearing folks say all Jeeps are unreliable. (Ha, maybe Chrysler was listening, too, & actually improved their product?)

All I know is, I'm not about to part with mine!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #57

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Jeep TV

I'm a Jeep diehard fan.. I'll start with that. I've only been owning and driving Jeep "1991" on starting with a 91 Comanche(MJ), then a used 90 Cherokee(XJ), 91 Cherokee (XJ), 05 Unlimited Wrangler (LJ)(new)... Jeeps have been notorious for having issues on first year models. . 84XJ (pos V6 engine) ZJ(under power/trans issues?) , JK (pos engine) first year. I'll not start on the liberty(KJ). That 9 speed transmission is a unknown. . The 6 speed manual transmission in my LJ been great but there has been some people who have had issues with theirs.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #58

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Generally if it works keep it. There are plenty of things in one's life that don't work to focus on.

Keeping the tongue weight in a usable range is probably a lot easier than a faulty transmission or engine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #59
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Guess we've been lucky , our 02 Liberty has been great -12 yrs no problems . Only looking at new before we get too old to want new . That 9 speed transmission is not actually new , it's the FIAT contribution to Jeep/Chrysler .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #60

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
It looks like the Cherokee (2014 model) and Grand Cherokee have been getting confused at several points in this thread.

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport with over 300,000 miles on it pulling a 2007 Casita 17 SD. I have only owned one Jeep because I have yet to need another one. I have taken care of what I own.

I have been considering purchase of a new Grand Cherokee. It seems like all of you are happy with smaller engines and not a lot of power. I am looking at the V8's because I have always felt the V6 in the Grand Cherokee was a bit underwhelming. I think I would just want more than anything available in the 2014 Cherokee model (not Grand Cherokee).

Do any other folks think front wheel drive vs. rear wheel (when not in 4X4 modes) is a problem? The Cherokee defaults to front. The Grand defaults to rear. The Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 L engine is a beast. Just about equal to pulling with a pickup.

A lot of the comments about newer Jeeps being junk are unaware that the 2011 and newer Grand Cherokee is a totally different vehicle from it's predecessors. It was a product of Mercedes as much as Chrysler. There were a few dog years before that. Most mechanics haven't even seen one newer than 2010.
Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, ford escape