Advice Please; Used Casita 17SD vs. Escape 17B - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen jackson View Post
I met a guy from Shreveport who tows a 2013 17' Casita with an Odyssey. They have towed in the Smokies in hot weather, he says with no problem. I suppose you could try it and see. I personally have never looked under the rear of an Odyssey, so I'm not sure as to the receiver attachment. What maximum tongue weight does Honda list for an Odyssey? The load you are carrying inside the Odyssey would also be a factor.
Tongue weight listed is 10 to 15% of the trailers total weight. The load inside would normally be about 600 lbs.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Charles View Post
Tongue weight listed is 10 to 15% of the trailers total weight. The load inside would normally be about 600 lbs.
All vehicles with tow ratings, and all hitch receivers, have a maximum allowed hitch weight rating of a certain number of pounds. "10 to 15% of the trailer's total weight" is not a certain number of pounds, and is not conclusive. Usually a vehicle with a 3500 lb. tow rating will only allow 350 lb. on the hitch.

I found this on hondapartssuperstore.com :
Honda Odyssey Trailer Hitch - 2011 - 2014
Part Number: 08L92-TK8-100

Honda Odyssey Trailer Hitch
You can haul trailers weighing up to 3,500 pounds (350 pounds tongue weight) with the Towing Package. Check out your Owner's Manual for more details on towing with your new Honda.
  • Class II Trailer Hitch mounts directly to the frame for optimum performance, strength, and security.
  • 2" receiver design supports a variety of trailer coupler designs.
  • Trailer Hitch includes draw bar, retaining pin, and retaining clip.
  • Automatic Transmission Fluid cooler (ATF) helps prevent wear to your transmission while towing.
Fits: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Honda Odyssey Accessories
Refer to your Owner's Manual for vehicle towing capacity.
Requires (sold separately): Add Below.
Transmission cooler. With or without touring package.
Hitch Harness
Hitch Ball - 1 7/8" or 2"
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen jackson View Post
For any towed load greater than 3,000 pounds and 300 lb. tongue weight, I would want a tow vehicle with a FRAME, not a unibody platform. .
The number of vehicles built on frames has been dropping off fast in recent years, with the exception of pick up trucks which for the most part have remained with frames - the Honda Ridgeliner was a unibody though.

Many people pull the smallish/lightish trailers which most of us have here with a unibody platform without problems for years so I wouldnt get to hung up on the frame vs unibody debate. I myself pulled for 6 years over 35,000 miles of towing with a unibody with no issues.

Here are a few of the current unibody vehicles that I can think of off the top of my head having just spent time new tug shopping, that people here pull with and are happy with & all very capable of pulling over 3000lbs:

Toyota Highlander = 5000lbs
Ford Explorer = 5000lbs
VW Touareg = 7000 lbs

If I am not mistaken even Land Rover has gone to unibody on most? of their line up as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #24

Name: allen
Trailer: 2005 Casita SD 17'
Arkansas
IMHO that 350 pound maximum tongue weight is not enough for an Odyssey that is loaded with gear and people. A loaded Casita might even exceed that.
I prefer a 1,000 pound safety margin for towing weight and 200 pounds additional for the tongue weight, thus a minimum for towing a 17' Casita of:
4,000 pound towing capacity and 500 pound tongue weight rating.
However, that's just me, better safe than sorry.

Tags
casita, escape