Our "new" 1975 Unik 13' (Travel Trailer Newbies!) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Name: Heidi
Trailer: Unik 13'
New Brunswick
Registry
Our "new" 1975 Unik 13' (Travel Trailer Newbies!)

Last night we brought home our first ever vintage travel trailer! It was listed on Kijiji as a Boler/Trillium, which didn't make sense to me. I'm thinking it's a rebuild, and even when it was registered, it was assigned a number and basically is unknown (though they took a guess and called it a Trillium).

After scouring the the thread here where people can show their rigs, I found one that looked pretty much like the one we were going to go look at!! I was thrilled to solve the mystery. I just knew it couldn't be a Boler or a Trillium. It's a 1975 (ish?) Unik.

Here's the link to the one like it in the Show Us Your Rigs thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post58673

We were the first to take a look at it and fell in love! It even fits in our garage, which is great considering our wet Canadian winters here on the east coast. It has fairly new tires, wiring, plumbing, fridge, and shelving in the large cupboard.

The interior is actually pretty nice decor wise, but I have plans for more cheery bright colours. That will be my pet project over the fall/winter.

The dinette table doesn't have the proper set up to hinge it to the wall. The wall mount is still there, but it's counterpart is not on the table. The previous owners just kept it set up as a bed, but last night I ordered the table wall mount kit from Vintage Trailer Supplies. I want my cute cozy dinette!

Heidi
Attached Thumbnails
FRV 2.jpg   FRV 3.jpg  

FRV 5.jpg   FRV 1.jpg  

Heidi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Heidi
Nice trailer find.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Looks like it is in nice shape, have fun customizing it!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Great Find,
Great searching too.

My question is which St. John? NB?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Unik

Heidi Congratulations on a truly unique find and welcome to the "egg" community !! What a great looking little trailer. It does have a Trillium-ish roof look about it but the rear window, and I assume the front window also, are a one of a kind set up. Enjoy the process of personalizing it. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #6

New Brunswick
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Great Find,
Great searching too.

My question is which St. John? NB?
Well, Saint Johns (plural) is the one in Newfoundland. So we're in NB. I'm an Ontario girl originally, but have come to love our little east coast province.

Now to find some local campgrounds to test our new little home on wheels out!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #7

New Brunswick
Registry
Hey Lee, yes it's truly a "unique" find. When my hubby registered it, he asked the woman about it having it's own vehicle # assigned to it, as usually that is applicable to cars. She said it's most likely a rebuild. I know has a Unik body, but it may have Boler parts inside, particularly the kitchenette. Either way, we're glad it's ours!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi H View Post
Well, Saint Johns (plural) is the one in Newfoundland. ...
Now to find some local campgrounds to test our new little home on wheels out!
Thanks you learn something everyday.

I know this park is on the other end of the province for you, but highly recommended. Just off the Trans Canada highway before you hit the Quebec border.
Les Jardins de la République Provincial Park - Just N of Edmundston

The Yogi's keep an eye on the park by delivering everone's firewood in golf carts. That way they put faces to every campsite.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #9

New Brunswick
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I know this park is on the other end of the province for you, but highly recommended. Just off the Trans Canada highway before you hit the Quebec border. Les Jardins de la République Provincial Park - Just N of Edmundston
Awesome!! We happen to have an NB Provincial Park 2009 booklet that was in the cupboard of the trailer we just got and I've noted that "Roy in TO" highly recommends it. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 1978 UNIK
Registry
We have a 1978 UNIK

Hi Heidi, Great to see someone turn up with another UNIK! The people who posted their '74 Unik picture never posted again nor answered my 2 attempts to contact them. Don't know what happened. Our UNIK is the one pictured in the Album section. It was orange & black & in disrepair when we bought it in Oklahoma in April 2006. We renovated it & have had so much fun with it. We have posted some of the redo pics on the web site which can probably be found through 'search' UNIK. The company really broke the mold each year, changing shape from one year to another! They are really rare. We've never found another one in the US.
Please keep in touch & let us know how your first camping trip goes. Happy trails. Terry from Texas
Attached Thumbnails
door side with sunlight on it.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #11

New Brunswick
Registry
Thanks Terry! Believe me, I've already enjoyed looking at the pictures of your lovely UNIK! I especially adore that round window!

We're hoping to get out for our first trip next weekend, if the weather looks good. I've already done quite a bit of a makeover inside and will have to take some pictures and post them soon.

Thanks again for the welcome!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #12

Name: Natasha
Trailer: UNIK
Tennessee
Hello. I recently purchased a 1979 19ft UNIK camper trailer that looks very similar to yours- do you have any idea of how much it weighs? Thanks.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #13

Registry
weight of Unik

Our 1978 Unik, 18 footer, weighs ~ 3300lbs. I'd like to see pictures of your unit when you get a chance to post some.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Heidi Welcome to the FGRV family. Great find. Wishing you both safe and happy camping.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 PM   #15

Registry
Hi Adelie, How's your Unik working out? Have you been able to take any pictures of it? I haven't seen another one shaped like ours. Where did you find it? Terry
Old 07-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Heidi
It was great to meet you two and see your "Unique UNIK" at the meet in NB last week.
I think you won hands down in the category of unusual trailer.

I hope to see you all again some time.
Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #17

New Brunswick
Registry
Thanks Walt, it was great to meet you too! We had a good time and enjoyed seeing how others live the fiberglass trailering lifestyle.

I hope you bring your delicious salad to the next one!

Heidi

Tags
unik