Bigfoot Gravity Furnace Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Bigfoot Gravity Furnace Options

Hi everyone.

I have started working on my new to me bigfoot 17ft.

We have two furnaces both are gravity and we boondock most of the time so I would like to stay with a gravity furnace to save on battery's.

I do not know if either of them is functional yet but would like to here your experiences with using the type we have as far as ease of repair and access to parts.

Furnace one is of unknown brand (photos attached) it was installed in the Bigfoot and I was told it was working(?).

(I can not seem to add more than one photo per post?)

Edit. I will try a link.

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Roc...Bigfoot%20Reno
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Furnace Two

Furnace two is Duo-Therm 652112

This was an extra furnace that was found in the unit. No information on if it is functional or not.

More photos here. I can't not for the life of me figure out how to add more than one photo

Here is a link.

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Roc...nace%20Options

Amy
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Very similar to one I had in my old camper. Dead simple to operate. My old one was very reliable, and much more dependable than any of the fan operated furnaces I have had since.

1 Make sure you have gas getting to it.
2 Open the little round hatch.
3 Turn the gray knob to pilot.
4 Probably have to push the gray knob in to start the gas flow.
5 Once the gas is flowing, listen for a low hiss, light the pilot flame.
6 Look in the round hatch. You should be able see the flame going up onto the thermocouple probe.
7 Hold the gray knob in until the thermocouple probe heats up. Usually about ten seconds.
Release the gray knob. If the pilot light goes out repeat the lighting procedure, and hold a bit longer.
8 once the pilot light is burning steadily advance the white knob to the desired temperature.
9 The main flame should light up within a couple of seconds.
10 close the little round hatch.

The only problem I had with my old gravity furnace was when the little hood over the pilot light eroded away slightly. I had to reshape it to keep the pilot flame on the thermocouple probe. If the pilot flame does not stay on the probe the furnace will shut down. It is a safety feature.

PS: Some rvs have a seperate shutoff valve in the line going to the furnace. If you do not get gas going to the furnace look for a valve other than the one at the tank.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, furnace