Uhaul Side Windows - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #61

Name: Steve
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Registry
Your post was terrific, I rebuilt my windows but can't find a source for the outer gaskets. Where did you find them?
Thanks, Steve
hueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #62

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
uhaul window gasket.

I have a company name at home that I can give to you. Only problem, all of the companies i tried make you to buy 50 foot rolls of the gasket and the locking spline. I have a lot left over that I would sell to you by the foot for what I paid per foot plus shipping. PM me if interested in buying. I'll still get that name and address for you.

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman View Post
Your post was terrific, I rebuilt my windows but can't find a source for the outer gaskets. Where did you find them?
Thanks, Steve
If you read through the thread, there are several sources mentioned.

Here is one in top post:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post215046

Key is the part number, with that you can search the web and find alternate sources. I ended up buying someone else's excess.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #64

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Did you cut the drain holes in the U channel? That is very important.
Tom, do you happen to have a picture? I've got a similar sounding leak on my door window where it seems to come over the groove where the window closes down into. It seeps under the rivetted part that holds the screen. I've checked my two drain holes on the outside, they do not seem to be blocked. Trying to figure out exactly which part is the U channel you're referring to? Wondering if I should drill some more drain holes in the frame to help. The leak is pretty constant when it's raining...
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
Tom, do you happen to have a picture?
Sorry, I don't

Quote:
I've got a similar sounding leak on my door window where it seems to come over the groove where the window closes down into. It seeps under the rivetted part that holds the screen. I've checked my two drain holes on the outside, they do not seem to be blocked. Trying to figure out exactly which part is the U channel you're referring to? Wondering if I should drill some more drain holes in the frame to help. The leak is pretty constant when it's raining...
The U channel is the black fuzzy part that the glass rides in to keep it from touching the metal. It doesn't really make a water tight seal, it stops direct water flow, which then runs down the glass and into the bottom of the metal channel. On the sides and door window the inner and outer channel dividers are of equal height, so if the water level in the bottom channel gets too high, it can overflow inside. The purpose of the drain holes is to drain water out fast enough so that overflowing does not occur. These drain holes must reach all the way back into the inside channel, through the front U channel fuzzy liner part. You can open the window and inspect the U channel to see if it has been cut properly and is open for water flow.

You should also have a piece snapped into the outer channel on the outside of the window. This piece keeps excessive rain from hitting the channel directly. You can buy the piece linked below and trim the flap length to almost nothing.

Prime-Line Products/Slide-Co 11639 Bug Seal Replacement - 7' - Amazon.com
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #66

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Now EVERYBODY who's reading this thread, needs to read this one: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-54255.html

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #67

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here is what I believe to be the correct weatherstrip to use on the side windows, purchase at Perfectfit.com. I used the AS-1456 weatherstrip and the AS-789B lock strip. The original Uhaul weatherstrip has one groove that measures 3/16" wide and one that is 1/4" wide, this is the same as the As 1456. The AS 1456 overall width however is a little less than what Uhaul used and will not completely cover the two 1/8" drilled holes on the top of the window frame, so they will have to be sealed with some type of caulk. Use Lisle 47000 lock strip tool,
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #68

Bob sent me a sample of the weatherstrip that he used so I took a thin slice and compared it to a thin slice of the weatherstrip that I used. I was measuring with a dial caliper and the rubber is very flexible, so take the dimensions with a grain of salt.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3868.JPG  
Old 10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
does anyone know if the weathstrip on a U Haul CT 13 door is the same as the side windows?
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #70

New York
The weatherstrip that I used is Perfectfit # AS1456, their specs are one groove is 3/16" wide and the other is 1/4" wide. I believe Tom used the AS1488 which is spec'd at both grooves being 1/4" wide. I used the AS1456 because the Uhaul wall thickness is 3/16" thick, or .188" roughly. When the lock strip is installed it squeezes the grooves tighter to the wall and the window frame. I was mainly interested in the "tall" measurement because of the two small 1/8" drilled holes near the top of the window frame that the AS1456 doesn't cover. I caulked over them and have no leakage. I'm not sure if the AS1488 will cover them. I'm happy with what I used, but everyone else can decide for themselves. Wait, I just said most of this a couple posts back, but sometimes I repeat myself, so I'll blame it on getting old!! Hope we have provided some useful info and not more confusion.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
does anyone know if the weatherstrip on a U Haul CT 13 door is the same as the side windows?
It is the same.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #72

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
does anyone know if the weathstrip on a U Haul CT 13 door is the same as the side windows?
It is the fold in type lockstrip, on ours anyway. Mike, I just sold the remaining weatherstrip that I had. Ask if someone else has a piece left over from their window installation. I haven't seen where anyone has bought weatherstrip, or installed their windows, but since it is sold only in 50 foot lengths there should be offers coming in of some for sale. I never thought about needing some for the door window.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #73

Name: Anne
Trailer: boler
Ontario
Window gaskets didn't fit

I changed the window gaskets in my Boler but the replacements suggested here didn't work well, as the 1/4 x 1/4 gasket known as
AS-1488 is too big on the fiberglass wall space and also is too short to cover the painted edge like the previous gasket did, and so after having the thing painted and the window masked, when that was removed the new gasket didn't cover the edge past the taped area.

I reordered AS-1179 and I'm posting here so if anyone else is trying this, they don't pay $150 for nothing.

(see how the attached image shows the 1179 is longer and covers more wall edge)
Attached Images

AnnamaryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #74

New York
Anne, I posted previously that I had used the AS1456 because it has a 3/16" groove and that is the thickness of the wall. You just need to find some people that think I'm wrong and Bridget is right that the 1488 is what to use and sell them yours. The AS1456 would be also too short to match up with the painted edge. When I restored my '76 pickup I did the window replacements before painting to avoid such issues. Do Bolers have only a 1/8" wall?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #75

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I used the 1488 on my VT with no problems after we figured out how to install it. I also used the largest lock strip. I could not get it to work on the door window but I still have enough left to try again instead of buying 50' of the one that has the locking strip built in as a last resort
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #76

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Uhaul ct-13
Michigan
Great post this is gonna help
uhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #77

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
i'm placing an order for Two-Piece Weatherstrip and channel linear. I have to order a box of 50 feet but will only need about 20 feet to do a uhaul. does anyone want to split on the order?
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #78

Trailer: Motorhome
Send a message via MSN to bob frankel
window felf

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman1 View Post
I replaced the felt chanels on my u-haul and had to buy 100 ft roll so I have 70 or so ft left let me know if you are still looking for it. I had to bring a sample to a rv place and I was lucky on the 4th or fifth place to find some one who took the time to find it. I did not take out the windows.
I'm looking for some felt channel for my uhaul - you want to sell me some ? email me at bobf41@hotmail.com thanks Bob
bob frankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #79

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob frankel View Post
I'm looking for some felt channel for my uhaul - you want to sell me some ? email me at bobf41@hotmail.com thanks Bob
Better look elsewhere, it's doubtful Albert will be answering up. Last Activity: 03-18-2014 03:52 AM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #80

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bob, there is an active Uhaul Facebook page where you might find someone (everyone?) working on leaking windows. Directions on replacing them there too, although they are here also. https://www.facebook.com/groups/UHaulCamper/

CindyL

Tags
u-haul, uhaul, windows