Boler Awning Rail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
Boler Awning Rail

My 1976 13' Boler has the awning rail on it. It is an aluminum extrusion with about a round profile that would allow about a 3/16" rod to slip in there. Can anyone tell me what they have used or where you get the other side of things to slip in the rail.
Grant Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Well they make sew on plastic rod that is used for "rope & pole" awnings sold for vintage trailers. Both Marti's awnings and Vintage Trailer are good sources.

There are bag awnings that hang in a bag from the rail all the time, more common on pop-up campers but have been used on FGRV's. Available at RV stores or Camping World.

You will probably find that those fiberglass reflective rods for marking a drive way will fit and they can be sewn into the edge of a tarp or homemade awning.

There are also these made from aluminum tube 1/4 inch, some paracord and a large washer. I'm going to be giving these a try with a 10 x 12 tarp.

Make your own Awning Track Hangers

I'm going to go a bit longer on the aluminum tube to spread the load out more. I'm also going to be using a tarp longer than the trailer and using a tarp pole at the front and rear of the camper to take some load and allow a longer tarp than the rail.

Only around 7 foot of rail, camper is under 10 ft. so 12 foot nylon tarp will extend a foot past the front and rear. I can use a pole and guy lines to pull in both directions at the trailer side. Three poles on the outer edge. Hopefully it all works. Or works well enough until we decide to break down and buy a cute looking one with pretty colors and a valance from Marti's

I think most would suggest taking tarp down in the event of storms or high wind so that is something to think about in terms of ease of put up and tear down. I may snag a smaller tarp for bad weather at some point. Sort of like reducing the sails on a sail boat in high wind. For shade use a 12x10 and for storms use a 6x7 just so that there is some canopy for the door.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I use this attachment method to tie a BusDepot awning to the rail on my Bigfoot. I'm very happy with the results.

The Bus Depot Ezy-Awning | BusDepot.com
Old 08-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Registry
Had a look at the Awning Track Hangers. I like those...they look easy to make.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The original Boler awning used a 1/4" cord or rope sewn into the edge of the awning, this was then slipped into the rail. But as Roger, Tom and Grant have said there are now molded products that sew onto the edge of the awning ad slip in MUCH easier and work MUCH better.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I liked those hangers too but was a little concerned about the small short length.

Need an engineer type to weigh in on how those hangers inside the awning rail apply force to the rail attachment. I would not want that tubing full length but those shown are probably less than 2 inches.

My rail is going on with 3M VHB tape so spreading the load across the tape seems like it would be less likely to pull the rail loose and less likely to pull one of those 1/4 inch tubes out of the track. My thinking is maybe more like 4 - 6 inches of tube for each tarp grommet.

I may try to make some short ones to go between the tarp tie offs. Thinking I could run a thin line out at an angle to the outside edge poles. Use the line to hang LED lantern, ornamental lights, towels or whatever from.

But hey push comes to shove I might be tempted to try just wrapping tarp over rope since that was as prior post mentioned the original approach.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: ventura 1300
Ontario
Boler awning.

I've been told that the name for the rail is called C chanel, and it does make sense.
JvR.
jvrayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Our '73 Boler has the original 'C-shaped aluminum awning rail, and we've used the original canvas awning with it, quite well. The pull through cord works well. The PO had drilled two holes through the lower FG shell, and bolted on tubular supports direct to the frame, for the two poles that extend the awning out from the trailer. However the original canvas is no longer waterproof, so we will likely replace it this fall. Our motto - 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

Saskatchewan
Registry
Can you post a picture of the awning. I am one of those "keep-it-original" types and would like to have one made to the original configuration/size. Tks.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Alberta
Most of the Dometic Trimline awnings will have their protective bag slide right into the awning rail. It's what I used on my 13'. Works great being free standing and no guy lines to have to set up. TrimLine Patio Awning - Dometic Corp
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Name: debra
Trailer: 1936 Kaycraft Kampster
Idaho
no original awning rail

because i do not want to put any add'l hole in the fiberglass shell by installing a rail, i would be very greatful to hear from others who have managed to find a shelter/awning that can be used effectively and in such a way that you can exit the trailer into the covered shelter and exit from the shelter. hope that makes sense.... thank you
hdpendent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrayner View Post
I've been told that the name for the rail is called C chanel, and it does make sense.
JvR.
The products are frequently referred to as Keder rail along with Keder rope, welt, hangers, etc.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:39 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
This past summer I took off the CareFree bag awning from my Boler. The end of the bag was all coming apart. That bag had a sewn in plastic rod that slid into the 90 degree rail. This Rail sat low on the side about 4 inches above top of door gutter. The new Dometic awning bag was quite a bit bigger then the CareFree awning bag. About 2 inches bigger.
I had to move the rail up onto the roof area of the camper but upon holding the 90 degree slit in the rail pointed to the sky so I had to order a 30 degree rail.
All worked out great after drilling out the old rail, riveting plastic button/caps over all old holes. Install new rail 2 inches higher.
Only problem I had was the Dometic awning was 6 inches longer then CareFree and new rail wouldn't make the curve around the roof so I cut rail to where it would work and new awning sticks over ends by about 3 inches each end.
Have yet to decide if we will travel with awning in rail or carry it and slide it on rail when we get to a camp.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:00 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTEHave yet to decide if we will travel with awning in rail or carry it and slide it on rail when we get to a camp.[/QUOTE]

I don't have one but from posts it seems to be 50/50 with mounted or stored. One thing that kind of stands out is that they seem to collect water inside...through the seams or zipper????? Traveling with it on the rail through rain storms may be a deciding factor to store it and keep that to a minimum. Because of how they hang I wonder about chafing. Maybe someone will chime in with info on that.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
AS stated I had that CareFree bag awning and kept it outside for the 20+ years with no chaffing on the inside of the bag where it hangs against the trailer but where the aluminum front rail had to be stuffed into the bag when rolled up did the damage. I am sure from friction while traveling and the bag being tight on the ends.
With new Dometic Awning as stated it is has about 4 inches in the front and rear where it is not in the rail so I do not want to chance wind getting behind it doing any harm.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, boler