Prices- Casita vs. LIL Snoozy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #41

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
I think the Lil Snoozy is a fantastic design and in no way want to slam it. I seriously considered them when looking. The positives are the layout, entering from the back which makes efficient use of space, no rivets, double hull, these all really enticed me.

But, it really is a totally different type of camping. You pretty much need electricity so it takes away the typical places we gravitate to. And there is no way I would want to run a generator all the while we are camping to keep our fridge cold. We only run a generator maybe in the late afternoon for A/C and to charge the battery. We camp for the silence and getting to nature and so do our neighboring campers where we go. Generators are usually frowned on in National forest/State parks. The 13 day trip we took out west used about $13 off one propane tank, and many days were in the low 90's. The fridge runs continually, no worries for cheap, and propane is no more of a safety hazard than electricity.

For us the Little Snoozy is too one dimensional and not enough versatility which may be perfectly fine for many others. Scamp's, Casita's, Escape's, Bigfoot's, etc. are go anywhere, anyplace campers. If Little Snoozy offered black water tank toilet, propane fridge, water heater, stove, furnace package, I would have no hesitation buying one.
I almost totally agree with you, that is why I added propane myself for stove & furnace, and solar to keep us charged up while running our 12 volt danfoss compressor refrigerator. I still have a generator if needed, but have not needed it since I got my solar figured out. We prefer a porta-potti over a black tank, as we can "dump" many places without moving the trailer. This isn't for everyone, but it is exactally what I wanted and have no regrets after 3 years and nearly 45K miles.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #42

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Casita vs LS

We have a 17 casita but only camped in camp grounds with hook ups so I don't understand why the LS fenders are a problem do some of you get into that tight of a campsite or is it the narrow roads also does the rear entrance cause any problems picking a camp site
wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #43

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
We have a 17 casita but only camped in camp grounds with hook ups so I don't understand why the LS fenders are a problem do some of you get into that tight of a campsite or is it the narrow roads also does the rear entrance cause any problems picking a camp site
I don't think it has anything to do with the width of the campsite, but rather, aesthetics. Most fiberglass trailers have the wheels inboard. There are advantages however to the way Lil Snoozies do it - like having more interior space available because it's not taken up with wheel wells.

Hadn't thought about the rear door being an issue at a campsite, but I suppose it could be in some places. We've had back in campsites that were very shallow and required us to place the trailer as far back as possible in order to fit - sometimes with the rear of the trailer really close to trees or a fence. In such places, perhaps the door in the rear wouldn't be ideal.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the width of the campsite, but rather, aesthetics. Most fiberglass trailers have the wheels inboard. There are advantages however to the way Lil Snoozies do it - like having more interior space available because it's not taken up with wheel wells.
I'm not sure what others may have been thinking, but when I brought up the issue in post #14, I was thinking about towing, not aesthetics or campsites. A trailer with a wide track takes a little more care on a narrow road, when turning, when negotiating around curbs, when parking in a crowded lot, etc.. It's not likely a make-or-break issue but a difference to be considered. As you say, there are corresponding advantages, something I remember when I am wrestling my Scamp's wheels into tight fitting wells.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #45

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild View Post
Yes, I have had sites where a rear door would have been a problem. Other sites, it would have been an advantage. The bigger issue to me is my large side awning. I like a door that opens to the area covered by the awning, which I use a lot. With pretty much any molded fiberglass trailer, space is at a huge premium. So having good usable space outside is very important. The optional side awning on a LS looks like a bag awning, I am not a fan of those. And it is relatively short, doesn't go the length of the rig due to the shape of the LS. And of course, its not where the door is. I would call this a tie.

As far as width, the narrower the rig, the easier it is to maintain lane position. Sure, even 8 foot wide is pretty narrow, but not as narrow as your Casita. The Casita and Escape are basically the same width of my truck (and narrower than the truck once my mirrors are extended). Its not a big issue. And you have the huge advantage of no loss of interior space from wheel wells. I give LS the advantage here.

Biggest issue to me is the lack of propane. We routinely camp without hook ups. And generators are not allowed in many places we camp. Its all about having the option. The more flexible the rig is as far as refrigeration and heat, the better. We were at a FG campout where the power went out in the campground. It was about 35F that night, so the propane furnace was wonderful. We stayed at a beautiful state park in WY on our last trip, no hookups. It was cold, so propane heat, stove, and refrigerator were a must. Advantage Casita and Escape.

If I was looking for a 17 foot trailer, I would consider the LS along with Escape and Casita. In the end, the dinette on one end, bed on the other layout of the Escape would be my favorite. The lack of a black tank and toilet would be a big negative for the LS. But we tend to take LONG trips. Our last trip was one month and 8,200 miles. If we were weekend campers, the LS would be fine. Weekend campers, tie; longer trips, advantage Casita and Escape.

Price? Advantage Casita, its the lowest price for a nicely equipped 17 foot trailer. Between the LS and the Escape, the Escape is a few dollars cheaper., I'll call those a tie.

Factory Access: Huge advantage LS for me, as I live in NC. Even Casita is a lot closer than Escape, so Escape is last in that regard. Yes, this is important consideration as you either have to go pick up the trailer, make it a trip and an adventure, or have it shipped, which is very expensive.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #46

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Prices- Casita vs. LIL Snoozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Yes, I have had sites where a rear door would have been a problem. Other sites, it would have been an advantage. The bigger issue to me is my large side awning. I like a door that opens to the area covered by the awning, which I use a lot. With pretty much any molded fiberglass trailer, space is at a huge premium. So having good usable space outside is very important. The optional side awning on a LS looks like a bag awning, I am not a fan of those. And it is relatively short, doesn't go the length of the rig due to the shape of the LS. And of course, its not where the door is. I would call this a tie.

As far as width, the narrower the rig, the easier it is to maintain lane position. Sure, even 8 foot wide is pretty narrow, but not as narrow as your Casita. The Casita and Escape are basically the same width of my truck (and narrower than the truck once my mirrors are extended). Its not a big issue. And you have the huge advantage of no loss of interior space from wheel wells. I give LS the advantage here.

Biggest issue to me is the lack of propane. We routinely camp without hook ups. And generators are not allowed in many places we camp. Its all about having the option. The more flexible the rig is as far as refrigeration and heat, the better. We were at a FG campout where the power went out in the campground. It was about 35F that night, so the propane furnace was wonderful. We stayed at a beautiful state park in WY on our last trip, no hookups. It was cold, so propane heat, stove, and refrigerator were a must. Advantage Casita and Escape.

If I was looking for a 17 foot trailer, I would consider the LS along with Escape and Casita. In the end, the dinette on one end, bed on the other layout of the Escape would be my favorite. The lack of a black tank and toilet would be a big negative for the LS. But we tend to take LONG trips. If we were weekend campers, the LS would be fine. Weekend campers, tie; longer trips, advantage Casita and Escape.

Price? Advantage Casita, its the lowest price for a nicely equipped 17 foot trailer. Between the LS and the Escape, the Escape is a few dollars cheaper., I'll call those a tie.

Factory Access: Huge advantage LS for me, as I live in SC. Even Casita is a lot closer than Escape, so Escape is last in that regard. Yes, this is important consideration as you either have to go pick up the trailer, make it a trip and an adventure, or have it shipped, which is very expensive.

All very good points. We have been in a few campsites where the rear door layout made us use an extension cord to hook up. I have never had a problem backing in because of the tires being outboard. Most RV's are close to that width. The LS body is narrow enough to see down the sides with my standard mirrors. To us awnings are a problem. I won't have one on any trailer. We use a free standing canopy if we are at a site for more than a day. We rarely do weekend camping. Our trailer gets in 3500-7000 miles a year of long distance travel. We use CG,s with power most of the time. However we do boondock sometimes. That has not been a problem. I can see where it might be if we were boondocking weeks at a time with no possible generator use. The bottom line is different strokes for
different folks. The LS factory is backed up for months with orders so I imagine they are selling as many as they can make. We chose LS over the others because of the lack of rivets, minimum openings in the hull, no roof openings, no wood in the floor, more room inside and the queen bed that stays up. Nothing is perfect so we have done a lot of mods to make it ours.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #47

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
NOTE: When you "quote" a post, you can edit it. You can delete all of the quote except the relevant part to which you are responding. That will make your post so much easier to read.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #48

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
I am still at least a year or maybe two out before I make the purchase. So I have plenty of time to change my mind between the Casita and the Snoozy. For my needs to Snoozy will be fine, but it cost more. And as a friend of mine mentioned for $25,000, I can buy used Airstream, a smaller Airstream. Yes it would be nice, but that would defeat the purpose of going simple or simpler. So I'm posting here to get some feedback from snoozy owners.

I live less than an hour away from the Casita Factory and have been there many times. I will probably want to see a snoozy in person before I decide anyway.

The Don Pod
Old 06-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #49

North Carolina
Registry

Thanks I didn't know that about quoting. I have a friend who has several aluminum trailers from the 50's and 60's . He said even the ones he pulled out of junk yards haven't leaked through the body panels. The Airstream is a good product. A little to pricey for me.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Thanks I didn't know that about quoting.
Just make sure you keep the QUOTE in brackets at the beginning end of the quote. And, to be fair you should put SNIP in where you cut it.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #51

North Carolina
Registry
Thanks Glenn.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #52

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Lack of rivets is a big advantage: Escape, Big Foot, Oliver and Little Snoozy don't have rivets. Scamp and Casita both have them. If you are two years out, who knows, something better could come along!!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #53

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
The need to manually empty a cassette toilet is simply gross to me, and I would never own an RV that had one. If that's all I had, I would either use the public facilities or head off into the woods with a shovel.

But generally I like the design and the quality of the Lil Snoozy. I particularly like the sandwiched design of the hull fiberglass and the Red Oak interior cabinetry. I think they'd appeal to a much larger customer base if plumbed for a black tank, and perhaps adding propane and a cooktop.
That was the deciding factor for me between getting a Lil Snoozy and a Parkliner. I liked the layout of the Lil Snoozy a lot more than the Parkliner, but I couldn't deal with lugging a cassette and emptying it. I would much rather deal with a 'stinky slinky', which to me doesn't seem that bad, with the macerating toilet in the Parkliner. I could have lived without propane, but the cassette toilet was a no-go for me.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #54

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I went with Lil Snoozy over the Parkliner because of several items. 1. All electric, altho I did consider a special order Parkliner 2. Dedicated bed in the Snoozy 3. More comfortable seating in the Snoozy. 4. Cassette toilet in the Snoozy 5. SPACE!! With Dh accompanying me, and the 3 (became 4 before pickup) cats, the open floor plan of the Snoozy, plus the huge storage under the queen bed, drove the final choice. I also opted for the additional window, our Snoozy let's us feel as one with Mother Nature.

We've boondocked a few times, mostly used campgrounds. Right now we're on the last 4-5 days of a month long vacation to the Canadian Maritimes. I love my Lil Snoozy!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #55

Texas
All good reasons and very similar to the reasons I liked the snoozy also. To borrow yours for emphasis...

1) One BIG open space, one big room. That's probably the main reason. And with the extra window across from the sofa, it will be even better.

2) All electric. Sounds good to me since I am not a chef and don't need propane for cooking .

3) Dedicated bed in the Snoozy. Still plenty of room in the main cabin.

4) More comfortable seating in the Snoozy. I wanted to delete the sofa to add a couple of recliners. But the water tank is under one half of the sofa. It may be possible to put a cabinet there or something and have one recliner but that would only be one seat. I'm single so it wouldn't bother me at all.

5) Cassette toilet in the Snoozy. I've never used one but I can get used to it. I like not having a black tank to dump.

6) The huge storage under the queen bed also.

I think those are my reasons probably in that order.

The Don Pod
Old 06-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #56

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Propane for cooking....it is nice to have redundancy when there is a power outage. But that is easily solved with a small one burner portable cook-top that can be powered with a small disposable gas cylinder be it butane or propane. It is also handy to have for cooking outside right at the picnic table so you can keep an eye on the meal and be outdoors. You will see a lot of comments where people prefer to cook outside in order to keep the odors inside that small confined space under control. The vent hoods over the stoves in trailers are not very powerful as they are meant to run on 12volts.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #57

Arkansas
Registry
My thoughts inline below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
All good reasons and very similar to the reasons I liked the snoozy also. To borrow yours for emphasis...

1) One BIG open space, one big room. That's probably the main reason. And with the extra window across from the sofa, it will be even better.A fair point.

2) All electric. Sounds good to me since I am not a chef and don't need propane for cooking . Has nothing to do with being a chef. Has to do with boondocking without using electricity.

3) Dedicated bed in the Snoozy. Still plenty of room in the main cabin. We have that in our Escape.

4) More comfortable seating in the Snoozy. I wanted to delete the sofa to add a couple of recliners. But the water tank is under one half of the sofa. It may be possible to put a cabinet there or something and have one recliner but that would only be one seat. I'm single so it wouldn't bother me at all. You may be right about the seating. We have a dinette, not the most comfortable.

5) Cassette toilet in the Snoozy. I've never used one but I can get used to it. I like not having a black tank to dump. Dumping is easy. Takes 5 minutes while breaking camp. And a plumbed black tank allows extended stays without frequent dumping.

6) The huge storage under the queen bed also. Have that in my Escape.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #58

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The vent hoods over the stoves in trailers are not very powerful as they are meant to run on 12volts.
No, it's not that they're 12 volt, it's that they're cheap and poorly designed. 12 volts is more than enough to run a proper high quality fan. I retrofitted a SAM-1 Range Hood squirrel cage fan to replace the cheap tin box fan that comes with all these range hoods. Whisper quiet, moves a ton of air, two levels of LED lighting, 3 speeds, interior vent lever, and no cooking odors.

This can be done on any RV range hood, so the cooking odors issue goes away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_135818.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	107946

http://www.fabulousoperatingproducts.com/upgrade-kit
Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #59

North Carolina
Registry

Really the only appliance that you can't easily work around in an all electric trailer is the hot water. When we boondock we just heat water on the butane burner if we can't run the genny . We cook on a butane burner and I use a portable propane heater when needed. our Truckfridge works great on our two golf cart batteries for up to three days, indefinitely with occasional generator use.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #60

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Really the only appliance that you can't easily work around in an all electric trailer is the hot water. When we boondock we just heat water on the butane burner if we can't run the genny . We cook on a butane burner and I use a portable propane heater when needed. our Truckfridge works great on our two golf cart batteries for up to three days, indefinitely with occasional generator use.
Right, and that's precisely the point. Different folks camp in different ways. We've spent as much as a week to 10 days boondocking, so the hot water for a nice shower and the ability to camp until basically we run out of food - and without using a generator - is huge for us. If 3 days is your max, or a generator doesn't bother you, then a different choice might make alot of sense.

Tags
casita, lil snoozy